Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 PM

10 posts, read 17,204 times

Advertisements

Where can I get some navajo fry bread in milwaukee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,859 times
I think you're REALLY looking in the wrong place.. try Utah, Arizona, Colorado or New Mexico if you want fry bread tacos.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:31 AM

15 posts, read 36,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRabbit74 View Post
Where can I get some navajo fry bread in milwaukee?
Ya gotta be kidding...clearly you've never HAD frybread.It's NOT "navaho" either...most if not all tribes make the stuff,and call it the same thing,although I've seen some regional "pinch of this,or that" that really don''t make that much of a difference...It"s mostly technique,and you might want to just look it up in your favorite online cookbook.I learned by watching my ex's daughter make it...seems to be mostly a Bisquick-type mix, made thick enough to almost not stick to your fingers as you form them.Press dough out to 4 or 5-inch circles,pressing an indentation in the center.Drop into hot oil,at least 2 or 3 inches deep,and cook til puffy & just barely browning.Drain on brown or waxed paper.Oh,and since the average recipe makes WAY too many for your typical taco dinner,put some cinnamon & sugar in a sturdy bag & drop 4 or 5 hot breads into the bag & shake for a yummy dessert bread! As for your question of "where can I GET some"...fuggedabouddit. YOU can DO it!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
I'm not sure where you can get it on a regular basis, but during the summer, at Indian Summer (an indian festival held at the lakefront during August), fry bread and other Native American fare is available.

VISIT Milwaukee | Info - Vacation - Hotels - Meetings - Events - Tours

You may be able to find it at State Fair in August, too.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 AM

448 posts, read 1,819,875 times
It isn't hard to make but isn't too easy to find either. The caveat is that you really need to have it freshly made or it isn't worth eating. There are pow-wows throughout the year where you can buy fresh fry bread. My grandmother used to make the most delicious fry bread with Bisquick.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 17,204 times
As a navajo (others will know by my name) I know how to make it (sorry, that's what my people call it so whitey knows what we mean) I was just wondering if there are friendly pow-wows or summer celebrations locally where I could get a taste...

Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 PM

105 posts, read 357,481 times
yes, in addition to the Indian Summer (weekend after Labor Day, I think)...there are Pow Wow's held and they serve traditional foods. Drumhop

Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 AM

448 posts, read 1,819,875 times
The UWM American Indian Student group has a pow-wow in November. The Potawotami tribe in Milwaukee has one in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: