Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,411 times

Advertisements

I am about to start apartment hunting for september and have decided to settle in the 53202 zip code, which is in perfect downtown location.

Now, I have seen my fair share of shady (got a gun pulled on me in Buenos Aires), but never really lived / park in the urban environment.

I know 53202 looks real safe, but is it safe to park a "nice car" on the streets at night.

The reason I ask is cause the residents of downtown seem well off but literally 5-10 miles is 53205 and all the troublesome NorthWest. What prevents criminals from coming and "carjacking" me in the downtown area or being robbed late at night when I am drunk?! Its so damn close, especially at night could be a 5 min drive.

Yea I am pretty paranoid, but I would like to walk to the bars / clubs from my apartment at night when the streets will probably be empty and feel safe parking my car in a garage / street.

Oh and do they shovel the streets regularly during the cold winter in the downtown area. Aka could a camaro go to work during a blizzard (since it is downtown, maybe they shovel it constantly). And do the shovel the sidewalks during the blizzards.

Can I walk to work during the coldest days of the winter assuming I wear a nice snow jacket (within a mile of my workplace).

Thanks a lot guys, sorry for all the stupid questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
LOL don't worry. You'll be safe. Just use common sense and just be aware of your surroundings and you won't have a problem. I have a "nicer car" in the 204 which is just south of the Third Ward in Walker's Point and for the last 3 years I haven't had a problem at all.

Quote:
The reason I ask is cause the residents of downtown seem well off but literally 5-10 miles is 53205 and all the troublesome NorthWest. What prevents criminals from coming and "carjacking" me in the downtown area or being robbed late at night when I am drunk?! Its so damn close, especially at night could be a 5 min drive.
5-10 miles is a long way in city terms of crime and other factors. Most of the time you are not the only person leaving the bar on a week night in Milwaukee of all places. On weekends, there will be people everywhere and you should be fine. Yes to the rest of your questions, I used to stand outside waiting for the city bus sometimes up to 45min in below zero weather. Most people can walk a mile in under 30mins.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:48 AM

167 posts, read 315,585 times
You're going to need snow tires with a Camaro or Firebird, otherwise your life will be hell in the winter. Yes, most of the time the roads get cleared pretty well, but there will still be days when you have to drive and the roads will not be clear, and parking lots, side streets, etc. are not plowed out yet.

I had a '93 Formula I drove for six years up here and snow tires made life a lot better. And remember, narrower is better when it comes to snow tires. Mine were Goodyears.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 AM

158 posts, read 486,033 times
NO a Camaro will be ruined on the city streets in the winter! If you had a garage and the best snow tires maybe but it would be a scary wild ride on the ice even so.
As far as safety, no car is safe from a smash and grab if you leave nice stuff out or getting dinged by the careless, but you should be safe

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 PM

16 posts, read 63,400 times
For 53202, I feel safe walking around at night, but have had problems with my car being broken into and vandalized.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnercine View Post
For 53202, I feel safe walking around at night, but have had problems with my car being broken into and vandalized.
Unfort, that's par for thee course, my friend had his window broken in front of a 600,000 condo, in broad day light. The 202 is safe as can be but keep in mind you are in a CITY, things happen every where and every how. Doesn't mean the city is unsafe just different.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 AM

16 posts, read 38,842 times
You really never know when and if something will happen. I am an insurance agent and I actually have my agency name on my side doors. Kind of funny I thought since they broke in it. I went in for a meeting one night on in the 204 area code. I was in there for maybe an hour and half came out and passanger window was smashed in. They tried to get the CD player, but found my GPS and I pod. Things happen, you never know, but don't let it put a black eye on certain areas of milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee