Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In which Black community was this?

I'm going to give you my take on this. I am African-American. I never grew up in a predominantly Black, inner city community. I spent middle school and high school in a predominantly White, exurban part of Atlanta, so there are many things that have not been known to me until now.

I never really heard of Black people finding it fun to pick on White people. I never heard of any of that. In middle school and high school, it was mainly White kids who bullied me, some of them "redneck" types. I got bullied by a few Black kids who thought I wasn't "Black enough". Once a White kid shot me with a paintball gun, and he thought it was funny.

In my own experience, I saw racial tensions in my high school. However, I never saw Black kids attack White kids like it was some kind of joke. Majority of the time, the fights in school were personal. In fact, there were two times where I saw Black youths attack anyone, it was another Black person, ME. I was jumped in the hallway by three Black students on my way to class. It happened again when I was jogging one evening. Given my own experience of what I saw, I have found it hard to imagine Black youths terrorizing Whites for fun. I never saw that up close.

Actually, I remember one incident and it happened in class. I witnessed a Black male picking on a White female. He was from the South Side of Chicago, and he had sort of a gangster mentality. I kept harassing her until she literally appeared like she was going to hit him. He backed off. After he left, I expressed my disapproval of his actions. She responded "I'm going to beat that "n" word up if he does that again". She basically responded in a racial manner, which had me kind of dumbfounded. I remember that incident. However, I never saw any incidents where a group of Black kids jumped a White kid for fun. I never saw that anywhere I lived. I never saw it in college either. I remember one Black parent talking about picking on White kids for fun. However, that was the only person I ever heard talk about that. I never saw much in person, and I was often on the receiving end of violence myself, growing up, it was very hard for me to imagine Black kids going around and jumping White kids for the fun of it.

Now that I'm hearing about it, and seeing some footage of it, it is plausible to imagine it happening, but it has me kind of dumbfounded. The only motive I could think of is maybe revenge or hatred.

In the Ghetto section of philly which is near some major college campuses like Drexel and University of Pennsylvania, a group of black guys would walk to the campus and beat up white college guys and take whatever they had. This happened when I was 13 and 20 years later it is still happeneing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:52 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
In the Ghetto section of philly which is near some major college campuses like Drexel and University of Pennsylvania, a group of black guys would walk to the campus and beat up white college guys and take whatever they had. This happened when I was 13 and 20 years later it is still happeneing.

That might be the difference. I grew up in a rural, somewhat "redneck" area. I didn't grow up in the ghetto sections of Atlanta. I never saw what you saw.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
That might be the difference. I grew up in a rural, somewhat "redneck" area. I didn't grow up in the ghetto sections of Atlanta. I never saw what you saw.
Just wanted to give you the reason for the mob attacks on whites

BTW: No mob attacks at all in 2012 after the mayor and police put a stop to it

Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to give you the reason for the mob attacks on whites

BTW: No mob attacks at all in 2012 after the mayor and police put a stop to it
I knew the mayor was onto something. He showed he cared the minute he addressed the problem.

Why it never happened where I live, I sometimes wonder. I have been shaped by some of the things that happened to me in my childhood, so news like this has often been new to me.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I knew the mayor was onto something. He showed he cared the minute he addressed the problem.

Why it never happened where I live, I sometimes wonder. I have been shaped by some of the things that happened to me in my childhood, so news like this has often been new to me.
I think it was a 2011 trend because this was going on in

New York
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Chicago
Philly

It was something that started from youtube I think

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I think it was a 2011 trend because this was going on in

New York
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Chicago
Philly

It was something that started from youtube I think
It did become a trend. A scary one. I was scared because I thought about all of the racial crap I went through in high school, such as not being considered "Black enough", being called racial epithets, being threatened with "lynching". And then I thought about how race relations might be set back 30 or 40 years. I was on threads discussing such things last year. I nearly went into an emotional breakdown over it. Now I'm looking at it in retrospective about the mob violence of last summer. It has been relatively quiet this summer. It left me wondering alot of things. I thought that events like this only happened whenever there was some kind of grievance, like police brutality. I have had alot to think about. I'm glad its over for the most part. I wonder how bad race relations have gotten because of this, and will it get like what I experienced in high school(or even worse)?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,272 times
Quote:
Now that I'm hearing about it, and seeing some footage of it, it is plausible to imagine it happening, but it has me kind of dumbfounded. The only motive I could think of is maybe revenge or hatred.
I don't think it's anything like that. I think some black people view whites as not willing to fight back. Or easier targets. I noticed hanging out with certain guys, that they "puffed their feathers" a lot harder when dealing with whites. They were ruder and more confrontational, probably all for audience to prove how 'badass' they were. Of course they subconsciously or consciously chose their targets that they expected to back down.

I think whites view asians in a similar way.

A story for you, I lived in some apartment buildings that was about half-student population. They had a basketball court in the center. Well, when I first got there I knew no one so I used to play hoops just to quiet myself. There was some ridiculous curfew on it (like 10pm) and one time, a manager came to me and told me to stop playing because someone called her to complain.

By chance I ended up running into the guy who called some days later. He was white, a student, and admitted to me after small talk ('you know what's funny hahahhaha....'). I didn't take it real personal, I wished he had just yelled from the window instead of calling the manager on me. But whatever.

Anyways, sometime many months down the line, I heard yelling so I came to my window to see what was up. It was that same white guy cussing out a group of asians on the court below for playing basketbal. It culminated in him actually going downstairs and snatching their basketball and going back upstairs. There was some pushing, etc

While there could be a number of reasons his reaction was different, I do believe that a large chunk of it was he didn't feel threatened by them and felt safe in being an outright jackass. I dunno man, lol that's my one story involving white guys and asians off the top of my head right now

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I don't think it's anything like that. I think some black people view whites as not willing to fight back. Or easier targets. I noticed hanging out with certain guys, that they "puffed their feathers" a lot harder when dealing with whites. They were ruder and more confrontational, probably all for audience to prove how 'badass' they were. Of course they subconsciously or consciously chose their targets that they expected to back down.

I think whites view asians in a similar way.

A story for you, I lived in some apartment buildings that was about half-student population. They had a basketball court in the center. Well, when I first got there I knew no one so I used to play hoops just to quiet myself. There was some ridiculous curfew on it (like 10pm) and one time, a manager came to me and told me to stop playing because someone called her to complain.

By chance I ended up running into the guy who called some days later. He was white, a student, and admitted to me after small talk ('you know what's funny hahahhaha....'). I didn't take it real personal, I wished he had just yelled from the window instead of calling the manager on me. But whatever.

Anyways, sometime many months down the line, I heard yelling so I came to my window to see what was up. It was that same white guy cussing out a group of asians on the court below for playing basketbal. It culminated in him actually going downstairs and snatching their basketball and going back upstairs. There was some pushing, etc

While there could be a number of reasons his reaction was different, I do believe that a large chunk of it was he didn't feel threatened by them and felt safe in being an outright jackass. I dunno man, lol that's my one story involving white guys and asians off the top of my head right now

This sounds very similar to what I was seeing in high school. I remember quite a bit of racial tension, but I don't remember trying to go and start a fight with a group of Black students, except maybe one time, and it was usually some "redneck" character. Generally, Blacks were viewed as "ghetto" and quick to fight. It was basically a term of "you keep your distance from them and they keep your distance from you", in many cases. Circumstances varied.

I, on the other hand, wasn't viewed in those terms. I was 5'5", between 110-120 pounds, had a nerdy disposition, socially awkward. I had short temper. However, having an unimposing figure basically meant none of that matter. I remember being in the lunch room and sitting next to some girls, specifically White girls(these were my friends). A grew of boys who were White, some of them "redneck" types were sitting a table away. They started throwing food at me. They didn't do this to anyone else, just me. My first thought was to get up and pound them. However, it was one of me and about 7 or 8 of them. They viewed me as someone to pick on for the fun of it. I believe they wouldn't have tried this if I was sitting with a group of Black boys, the idea being "we're going to have to fight if we throw food at this kid".

And your basketball court incident also reminds me of my first week of college. I was asking a woman about a job. She said there was no job. I was frustrated because I saw this job posted online. My reaction: a sigh, roll my eyes, and then walk away. 15 minutes later, campus police came looking for me over a "public disturbance" call. After I explained to the police what happened, they just said "just be careful". I talked to a friend about this, a White female. She said that race probably played a big part and that if it has been a White woman getting upset, the police would not have been called. Sometimes I suspect that is the case.

The way a race is viewed can have alot to do with how persons behave towards individuals. In my case, it meant being viewed as a threat by strangers, and at the same time, being viewed as a pushover by some high school students. I noted the "revenge" and "hatred" factor because I figured there might be Black people with anger and vengeance over things in the past. I couldn't think of any other reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee