Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM

47 posts, read 169,013 times

Advertisements

My family is moving there within the next 6 months and after A LOT of research I've narrowed it down to 4 suburbs. Any inside information on these areas, your likes and dislikes, etc to help us narrow it down even further would be greatly appreciated.

We decided on (in no particular order):
Mukwonago
Muskego
Elm Grove
Whitefish Bay

My husband will work at MKE airport, I work in healthcare (hope to find something) and we have 2 elementary aged children.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM

676 posts, read 961,014 times
I've never been to Mukwonago, but I have friends who live there and say it's boring...I do know, however, that the commute to the airport may not be too fun from there - Mukwonago is pretty far out.

Whitefish Bay is much more urban that Muskego or Elm Grove. It's also much closer to downtown, and other Milwaukee neighborhoods. Plus, it's on the lake!! If I had to choose between these four, I'd pick this one, but of course it all depends on what you're looking for!

I don't know much about Muskego and Elm Grove, they are pretty equal from my limited knowledge, hopefully others can chime in.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Mukwonago to me is not too far out but this is a personal preference. It's about 30min to airport and downtown Milwaukee and about 15-20min to downtown Waukesha and around 30min to Bluemound ave in Brookfield.

Muskego is a rural suburb with nothing much besides housing but it's still close to everything that it's not an issue with people who live there. Elm Grove has no busy streets going through it and is an upper middle class suburb with plenty of trees, overall a great area.

I love WFB, and love the location along the lake, on the 15 bus line that takes you right downtown and to bayshore mall. Nice house architecture and layout of the city. However taxes are a little high and most houses are small and come on a small lot(1,500sq ft). This is not true everywhere in the city but more of a generalization. Plus WFB is small enough that your kids can walk to everything and not rely on parents for a ride everywhere.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 PM

393 posts, read 891,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoax2 View Post
My family is moving there within the next 6 months and after A LOT of research I've narrowed it down to 4 suburbs. Any inside information on these areas, your likes and dislikes, etc to help us narrow it down even further would be greatly appreciated.

We decided on (in no particular order):
Mukwonago
Muskego
Elm Grove
Whitefish Bay

My husband will work at MKE airport, I work in healthcare (hope to find something) and we have 2 elementary aged children.

Thanks for the help!
Aren't those all north of the airport? Try Oak Creek, Greenfield, or something else close to the airport. My cousins live in Greenfield and it's very nice up there, they are right near the airport and I always visit them when I fly in. Also there are some pretty big hospitals around that area. all the schools in WI are pretty good, no concerns there.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 30,174 times
Mukwonago- Very Rural and a good 25-30 min commute to the city (on a good day), very nice area and has been built up a lot over the past 20 years

Muskego- A lot like Mukwonago, but closer to the city and a bit pricer as a result

Whitefish Bay- Classy and expensive inner ring suburb very close to the trendy east side and night life if you are into that type of thing. Shopping can be a bit of a pain because the malls and major big box chain shopping centers are out along the highway 100 corridor except for bayshore mall which is kind of meh in my opinion.

Elm Grove-Another classy inner ring suburb. not quite as pricey as whitefish bay, but closer to shopping and very centrally located. My opinion is that with kids, time is already scarce enough. Therefore, if you don't want a commute and to be close to lots of shopping, this is the one to pick. You would be very close to the major medical center of the city, the schools are good, and the houses are a bit bigger and less expensive than Whitefish Bay.

If you Like Elm Grove, Wauwatosa would be another place to look. They are similar in a lot of ways. With Wauwatosa you just have to avoid the north east corner as that area, while not terrible, is not what it used to be. The area right around the huge medical complex is very nice.

Last edited by Tax Man; 09-20-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 20,602 times
With someone working at the airport and one in the medical field I would look into Greendale. Its a drive down College, Rawson or Layton Avenue to the airport and for medical its near West Allis Memorial, St. Luke's and Wheaton Franciscan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee