Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times

Advertisements

I loved your city and probably made more random, stranger friends in one night than on any other single night of my lifetime. People were absolutely fantastic and your city is gorgeous.

One question though... Why'd you get rid of overhead traffic lights? Visibility of the ones on the poles on the corner are horrible and I actually wound up running a red light thinking that there was no light, only to realize it was where the walk sign on most corners typically is.

Given, I was very tired when driving... but I noticed Minneapolis did this too. It's very hard for out of towners to notice the streetlights off to the side.

Is there a reason for this?

Either way, I freaking loved your city and I will be back!

P.S., Blatz is the best cheap beer. Ever.

P.P.S., Wisconsin girls do it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I actually prefer stop lights on the side. To me the poles look nicer and appear neat where as hanging lights on cables looks ghetto to or "southern". When I moved to Louisiana I was so used to side lights that I would pull up way to far and not be able to see the lights since the don't have a lot of stop lines down south. Lights hanging on wires does not look as good as say decorative poles. You see lights hanging on wires more out west and down south, don't know why but that's where you see it a lot. I wish they had curbs down south as well.

Thanks for the props on Milwaukee, Hamms I think is the best cheap beer. I hope you had a chance to take advantage of doors open event all around downtown, it was a great event.

Doors Open Milwaukee - Presented by Historic Milwaukee, Inc.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I actually prefer stop lights on the side. To me the poles look nicer and appear neat where as hanging lights on cables looks ghetto to or "southern". When I moved to Louisiana I was so used to side lights that I would pull up way to far and not be able to see the lights since the don't have a lot of stop lines down south. Lights hanging on wires does not look as good as say decorative poles. You see lights hanging on wires more out west and down south, don't know why but that's where you see it a lot. I wish they had curbs down south as well.

Thanks for the props on Milwaukee, Hamms I think is the best cheap beer. I hope you had a chance to take advantage of doors open event all around downtown, it was a great event.

Doors Open Milwaukee - Presented by Historic Milwaukee, Inc.
Nah, sadly I didn't. My hosts kind of talked down on the price and attitude of downtown. We were staying with grad students at UWM in River West.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Nah, sadly I didn't. My hosts kind of talked down on the price and attitude of downtown. We were staying with grad students at UWM in River West.
That's weird, the attitude of downtown? most people I run into in downtown aren't from downtown and aren't snooty people. The price of downtown is not expensive to me, it would depend where you stay and what restaurants you went to but there is more than enough of reasonable places downtown and things to do for cheap. No offense to my hometown, but you will not find too many snooty or people with attitude in Milwaukee after all Wisconsin Ave is not 5th Ave.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
In reality the only reasoning behind moving that type of traffic signal would be to eliminate the need for suspended wires, maybe suspended lights need fixed more often or are in the way of taller loads. (wide load etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee