Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times

Advertisements

So we found a house down in menasha close to the lake that goes to Kimberly schools, the problem is that there are train tracks behind the house a little bit and I was wondering if anyone knew about the tracks, how often trains go through, times etc or where I can find this info out. We love the house and area but at the same time it may be hard to enjoy our privace without trains horns every hour. Any advice? The area is off Fire lane 9 and just off 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 AM

31 posts, read 198,734 times
Trains do go through the area fairly often, not sure on the frequency or times. Lots of materials being moved to and from the paper mills. That is a nice area, close to Lake Winnebago. I think even the occasional train wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM

77 posts, read 110,265 times
I see this is quite old so Im not sure if youve relocated yet or not but Im doing some research of my own and came across your post.

Im originally from Ft Lauderdale FL but my family is from here in WI. I decided last year to make my way up here with the kids since FL is having a very hard time economically, crime and drug wise. I wanted better for my kids. I moved to Appleton where I have several family members that I stayed with before getting my own place. I work in Green Bay but decided to stay in Appleton because of the schools and area. Green Bay is slightly run down. Appleton is great for the "all American way", sports fans, outdoor activities, etc. Schools are 10x better than where I come from and my kids have enjoyed them.

I personally have received mixed reactions from natives Wisconites. Some are very warm and interested in learning about someone from another place; others are very sheltered and come across snooty or judgmental towards or of people from a larger place that they are unfamiliar with except for what they see on tv. Ive heard several times that Appleton is a "college town" HA not by far, Miami or Tallahassee are college towns however Appleton does have a nice downtown area for varied age groups.

Culturally I feel slightly out of place. Im of mixed European and Latin heritage, blonde hair and blue eyes so I resemble many of the Scandinavian population here but I would definitely prefer a little more diversity. Ive met Latins, African Americans, Native Americans and so on but not to the degree that Im used to. Ive only been here a year so Im willing to give it more time to see how I feel about that as time goes on but its been a culture shock in both good and bad ways. All in all it sounds like Appleton would be a good place for you. Nothing is that far out of the way (Walmart, Target, Mall, Restaurants, etc.), safe, inexpensive and very nice schools. Sorry if Im late but just wanted to let you know my experience as a new comer.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM

77 posts, read 110,265 times
I lived in Menasha (close to Waverly but I dont remember the fire lane) and only remember the train coming by 1-2 times per day. It was not that bothersome.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times
I am acquainted with both places so I will give my 2 cents worth. Appleton is a nicer city physicaly with a nice downtown and a big indoor shopping mall. Green Bay has no indoor shopping mall and its downtown is very dead, to say the least. But the advantage Green Bay has over Appleton is that it is easier to connect with people. People seem a bit more friendly. That is what I have experienced and it is my personal opinion. But I find people in Appleton nice, just not as outgoing as Green Bay.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Green Bay has no indoor shopping mall
This isn't true, there is Bay Park Square in the west side of Green Bay, about a mile from Lambeau Field, and about 15 minutes away from any part of Green Bay including it's suburbs. It's not a huge mall and not as large as the Fox River Mall in Appleton - but Green Bay does have an indoor shopping mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee