Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

I'm moving with my family of 4 to Milwaukee. Our main priority is the quality of schools for our 4th grade, 6th grade and my 11th grade IB-1 student - my elder son. We are looking for rent a 3 bed with 2+ bath apartment, Condo,...etc. We have contacted an IB school which we find to have the same IB courses my son is currently taking which is (Rufus Int'l High School on West Olive Street; Milwaukee; WI; 53209). Can advise us on the schools and good neighbourhood for our 4th grade (Elementary) & for 6th grade (Middle School) in the Milwaukee area around the School district area around the Milwaukee city. Many thanks for your support and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 PM

63 posts, read 116,309 times
Pretty much there isn't really a lot of safe schools within Milwaukee city limits. Unless your black , sending your kid to a school inside city limits will only serve to get him beat up by the black kids nearly every day.....and I aint racist I'm just telling you how it is. You should move to an affordable suburb like cudahy or greenfield. Much better schools and no bad neighborhoods

Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 27,470 times
Schools in Milwaukee aren't the greatest. I attended Custer High for 2 years. I seriously think there was maybe 20 white kids at the most, probably less. Anyways, if you aren't black or Hispanic, your kids will be harassed. Try Waukesha, or Brookfield.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM

905 posts, read 790,241 times
Sorry, late reply. I can't speak on current conditions as to in-school safety at Rufus King High School in detail, but I highly doubt that Cazares' or joshinchrist's comments strictly apply to RKHS in particular, even today when the city has run so far downhill and there is a lot of truth in what they are saying. It's still the best public high school in the city. However, GETTING to RKHS is a concern, especially if you rely on public transit, because King is not in the best neighborhood. (certainly not the worst either, but definitely not good).

Best strategy would be to live on the east side just south of Shorewood and have your son take the #62 bus down Capitol Drive (no school buses for high schoolers)-quick, easy and less time in transit in sketchy areas than approaching from any other direction. Driving is also an option for an 11th grader if financially feasible, there is plenty of street parking. From that location Hartford Ave university school would be doable for your other two children.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 AM

300 posts, read 348,614 times
I agree with some of the people on the thread. Milwaukee doesn't really have any good schools. All of them are black dominated depending on the neighborhood. If you are not black, avoid the North side. If you had to move to Milwaukee, the best area to live is Bay View. The best high school to get is Rufus King. I have a cousin who is going there and it is better compared to all of the MPS schools put together. Since you got kids, safety is a concern and again, it depends on the neighborhood.

I would suggest Waukesha County because it is not only alot safer, but you also deal with less heavy traffic and towns like Brookfield have immediate access to the main freeway (I-94). Schools are fantastic in Waukesha County.

Main neighborhoods of Milwaukee from my knowledge are North side (black dominated), South side (Hispanic dominated), and the East side. West of Milwaukee you get suburbs which include West Allis, Greenfield, Greendale, and Wauwatosa. If you are looking at a suburb that is in the west of the city, Greenfield is a good pick. The suburbs uses the same bus system as Milwaukee so you do not have to make any sacrifices for transportation options. I was born and raised in Greenfield and my father was a Milwaukee city bus driver for 20+ years so he knows alot about the neighborhoods and thats where I get my info from. No icing on the cake there.

Last edited by 94buickcentury; 01-09-2012 at 03:17 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM

60 posts, read 191,115 times
greenfield schools are not great. I have several friends in greenfield that have their kids in greendale instead. greenfield is financially sinking and not getting any better.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM

358 posts, read 450,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollywannacracker View Post
greenfield schools are not great. I have several friends in greenfield that have their kids in greendale instead. greenfield is financially sinking and not getting any better.
What specifically about Greenfield isn't great?

Many schools districts are struggling financially.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Greenfield's new State of the Art high school just opened two years ago. A top notch school & great teachers. Every (well, almost every) school district is having severe financial problems. Don't diss Greenfield. Whitnall also has good schools as does Greendale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee