Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 31,827 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning a move to the Milwaukee area and are looking to rent a single family house. We are in our early 30s and do not have kids. We have done some research on neighborhoods both within Milwaukee proper and in the surrounding 'burbs and have narrowed our search to the Riverwest, Brady St. and Eastside areas as well as Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. Our only consistent source for available rentals thus far has been craigslist (realtor websites turn up nothing and most other online rental outlets deal primarily in apartment complexes.) Are there any other more local resources that are useful for finding rentals?

Also, how common is single family home rental? While we will consider a duplex, our fears include having young, rowdy college kids for neighbors and the inconvenience of shared garage/driveway parking and laundry services.

Additionally, any feedback or insight on these areas is appreciated - including suggestions for neighborhoods we may have missed.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 32,746 times
Default Whitefish Bay Resident

Welcome to Whitefish Bay...I grew up there...Its the very best place for a safe and quiet living with many available options for entertainment. As far as rental properties, there are few. Being a bedroom community close to Milwaukee, this upper scale community lacks in rental hosing for those either in transition or circumstance.
I have lived out West for many years but thought so much of this city that I just purchased a home strictly for rental opportunities with a thought of moving back at some point in my later years. I guess the ol saying goes, " Home is where the heart is" is true. I close on the house in July. If you have troubles finding a property, reply to this thread and maybe there can be a match in your search.
If you do find a home, best of luck and I am sure you will love this city. My wife and I sure do!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 37,658 times
Default Try Shorewood

You will likely find more options in duplex's to be quite honest - I found Shorewood to have some great options if you are willing to pay the price as it is a little more expensive than the other areas you mentioned. The nice thing about Shorewood is that you will experience a very neighborhood-feel since many of the duplex's are mixed in with owner occupied single-family homes. Good Luck

Old 06-03-2007, 05:49 PM

Thanks to you both for your feedback!

We have heard wonderful things about Shorewood and Whitefish Bay, but as I mentioned we're having a difficult time finding rentals. Perhaps we'll get lucky. RJ, if you're looking for tenants we may be interested. How did you plan on renting out your house from out west?

Does anyone have any insight on how "loud and rowdy" the Riverwest/Brady St. areas are? Is it primarily students who rent in these areas?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpadoynkle View Post
Does anyone have any insight on how "loud and rowdy" the Riverwest/Brady St. areas are? Is it primarily students who rent in these areas?
The Riverwest area is hit-and-miss in my opinion. It is becoming more and more popular by the year in terms of new influx of residents, and thus is readily becoming more safe as time goes by. However, it still can be quite sketchy with crime. I personally would avoid the area for now due to just being too close to the heart of crime problems, however, other folks seem to really like the area and its redeveloping stages.

As for rowdiness, you'll encounter some on both Riverwset and Brady St., as yes, there are younger crowds for sure in the areas with bars, restaurants, etc. Especially on the weekends, it'll be out there. But I wouldn't say it is overwhelmingly bad or loud in either. Students typically reside closer to UWM or Marquette than these areas - at least those in the thick of the "partying zone." I wouldn't think - unless you are completely wishing to avoid noise - either should be a huge problem in terms of partying, noise, etc.

Brady St. is quite nice. I would overall go that way over Riverwest just due to available restaurants, bars, fun things to do, crime, etc.

Shorewood and Whitefish Bay are a much different atmosphere than Brady St. / Riverwest. Much more quiet, family-oriented, residential, etc. Personally, I would favor Shorewood or WFB, however, I also have a couple of young kids. A few years ago, I would have gladly lived in the Brady St. area (but not Riverwest just solely because of crime concerns.)

Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 32,746 times
I will be using a local property management company. Shpadoynkle, I orginally wanted to rent the property to a family member but plans changed on their part. We have yet to choose the PM co but that should be in place the next 3 weeks or so. As I said, closing is not until mid July. I would also agree with the other replys..I also lived in Shorewood for a couple years and found it a nice place too..a little more city atmosphere ( close to UWM )but I cant say anything negative really at all. Both areas are nice. Whitefish Bay has fewer duplexes and fewer rentals. I hope I have been of some help. When you get to town you will get a better viewpoint overall. If you have not found a property by mid July, send me a post here..Ill check in every few days ...Take care..RJ

Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM

448 posts, read 1,819,767 times
You may have more luck finding home rentals in Bay View on the south side of Milwaukee. Riverwest is great and the people who disparage it most likely have never lived there. It is actually pretty quiet except during events like the Locust Street Festival. I lived east of Humboldt for many years and have always liked the area. There are some students around there but they tend to live off of Center and Locust.

The Brady Street area definitely gets more traffic. I don't know if there is much in the way of home rentals there. It is either apartments or duplexes with a smattering of homes.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM

8 posts, read 37,658 times
I really think you should look into into Shorewood - I think you'll find that there actually are a lot of options. Of course I may be biased - I lived there (rented) for 10 years (3 different places) and loved it. I live in Whitefish Bay now in a home and as you've read here, rentals are few and far between in WFB. If you look at Shorewood's stats, you will find out that they actually have tons of rentals in that community. It is beautiful, safe, "young", village-like, pedestrian friendly, hip and fun.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM

Thanks for everyone's input - it is definitely helpful!

EnjoyEP and Nuclear_Art - thanks for the details on the Riverwest/Brady St areas. It can be so difficult to acurately gauge the vibe of a neighboorhood with a patchwork of info gleaned from the internet. We're not ready for the retirement home yet but are certainly past our "party all night long" days!Thanks too for the Bay View tip - I have seen some promising rentals there, but as my boyfriend will be commuting to Sheboygan we are trying not to lengthen his commute any more than neccessary. (BTW, we considered living in or around Sheboygan but decided that our best bet for overall happiness would be to live closer to the culture and activites that Milwaukee has to offer.)

RJ - Thanks for the offer. We'll keep you in mind if we haven't found a place by then - though we are planning an Aug 1st move so that would be cutting it pretty close. Any idea of the price range you'll be renting it for?

Adair - given your experience renting in the Shorewood area, do you have any tips for finding rentals? Like I said earlier, craigslist has been our sole resource. Are there local mags that list rentals?

Thanks again to all - and keep the suggestions coming, I can't tell you how helpful you've all been.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,184 times
Default Brewers Hill

Shpadoynkle,

Brewers Hill is a historic district in Milwaukee, close to downtown. It's about 1 mile or so from Riverwest/Brady St, and within 3 miles of Lake Michigan. It's been an area of tremendous regrowth in the last 10 years, and currently an area of new condos, restaurants, and rehabbed homes.

The crime level is more or less the same as the Brady/Riverwest area, and the neighborhood association is very active.

I have lived in the area for 10 years.

To be frank, we have moved out of state, and have a home for sale there. We are considering renting it out. It might be the right place for you.

I'd be happy to discuss this further with you, send an email to

airoff@REMOVETHISPARTgmail.com

(take out the "removethispart"...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee