Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastiewife88 View Post
We are moving to the Milwaukee area and are looking to buy a house. It seems to be a lot cheaper than renting right now. Everyone keeps recommending Brookfield or the "north shore" areas (Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Glendale etc.) we have small children so schools are important. After looking at property taxes are practically half in Brookfield! $3,800 a year vs. $7,000 a year is a big difference. Are there any advantages to living in the north shore vs. Brookfield? Which would you recommend for families?
Both are recommended for families. Both are expensive.

There are pros and cons to each based on your interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM

319 posts, read 665,147 times
North Shore is an expensive yet better geographical area with well off liberal residents
Brookfield is better bang for buck (taxes and services) with well off conservative residents

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 AM

711 posts, read 1,689,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
North Shore is an expensive yet better geographical area with well off liberal residents
Brookfield is better bang for buck (taxes and services) with well off conservative residents
I just want to throw a little curve ball into this. I've been seeing that Brookfield doesn't have as many "well off" residents as it had in the past. Don't get me wrong, it's still very middle class but many "well off" residents have moved on to Lake Country.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 PM

319 posts, read 665,147 times
North Shore median household income is close to 110k, Brookfield is around 90k according to mapping america

Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 AM

711 posts, read 1,689,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
North Shore median household income is close to 110k, Brookfield is around 90k according to mapping america
I'm not disputing your numbers, but is that from the census or somewhere else? Also, it's easy to define what Brookfield is because its a city, but what did you use for "North Shore"... some definitions have it starting on the East Side MKE to Grafton, west to Brown Deer & more... others are much smaller.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 5,879 times
I'll agree with the above and add - Whitefish Bay is charming and walkable, with great neighborhoods for little kids, and has lots and lots of rules and busybodies to enforce them. No snowplowing your own driveway before 7 am, certain pesticides are banned, very strict remodeling rules. Shorewood is the most diverse but don't kid yourself, Milwaukee is incredibly segregated. North Shore elementary schools are quite good. If you're thinking very long term, stay away from Nicolet High School - it's in rapid decline (yes I have first-hand recent experience with this.). If you're interested in synagogue or JCC membership -- North Shore. I'd recommend visiting elementary schools in the areas you're interested and let that visit help narrow your choice.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 AM

13 posts, read 20,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid60sfan View Post
I'll agree with the above and add - Whitefish Bay is charming and walkable, with great neighborhoods for little kids, and has lots and lots of rules and busybodies to enforce them. No snowplowing your own driveway before 7 am, certain pesticides are banned, very strict remodeling rules. Shorewood is the most diverse but don't kid yourself, Milwaukee is incredibly segregated. North Shore elementary schools are quite good. If you're thinking very long term, stay away from Nicolet High School - it's in rapid decline (yes I have first-hand recent experience with this.). If you're interested in synagogue or JCC membership -- North Shore. I'd recommend visiting elementary schools in the areas you're interested and let that visit help narrow your choice.
Hi,mid60sfan, how about "brookfield academy"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee