Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,498 times

Advertisements

It's time for the annual job search and move, and Milwaukee has landed on my list -- actually a surprising number of people have wholeheartedly recommended it for me.

I've been browsing threads and it seems like any of the following would be a pretty good match for me -- East Side, Riverwest, 3rd Ward, Brewers Hill, Shorewood, Bay View, Walkers Point.

I really and truly like living in college areas and the first place I'll look is probably near UWM. The college partiers don't bother me, as long as the building, parking, nearby amenities match my needs.

So now the question is can I find something in my price range in these neighborhoods (trying to stay at about what I'm paying now which is $530 but can go slightly over that up to maybe $600.)

The second question is can I meet this goal and stay out of any crime-ridden areas. Where I live now is basically zero crime -- a suburban block in the middle of a city in West Lafayette, Indiana. That's my ideal.

The problem I'm having is that Milwaukee rental craigslist ads generally give street names but don't make it clear what neighborhood it is.

I found two neighborhood maps:
2000: Milwaukee neighborhoods map (entire city) and
UW-Milwaukee: Neighborhood Map (UWM area)

Can anyone give me more advice on "street boundaries" to use as I evaluate apartment locations (such as "North of ___, East of ___, West of ___, and South of ___" is very ____) for the neighborhoods I'm interested in, especially near UWM?

That way I can plug the address into Google Maps, see where it falls compares to the boundaries everyone suggests, and either keep it on my list if its a decent area or rule it out.

If you think the maps I found are accurate, then maybe the other information isn't necessary. What areas on the maps (especially the UWM map) should I really seek out, and which should I avoid?

Hope my question makes sense. And thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Some apartments coming up in CL searches today in my price range:

Brady & Warren - Lower East Side
Locust & Maryland - 3 blocks s. of UWM - Murray Hill
Oakland & Providence above a store -- Upper East Side -- half block or less from UWM
Cass & State - Plaza Hotel Building - Yankee Hill/Juneau
Marshall & Kilbourn - Juneau Town
Oakland & Olive -- North of Shorewood?
Adjacent to Humboldt Park -- Bay View (nice unit!)
Oakland & North -- Murray Hill -- Apparently there is a Whole Foods at Prospect & North?
Knapp & Prospect -- Yankee Hill
1st & North -- Brewers Hill
1505 N. Franklin Place just south of Brady
1601 E. Farwell just south of Brady
Lafayette & Farwell new construction
Weil & North -- Riverwest
Humboldt & Center -- South of Locust -- Riverwest
Gordon & Wright -- Riverwest

Just a few more thoughts and questions.
1. I grew up in a big city, I can cope with city life, but I really dislike calling a sketchy neighborhood "home." Are any of these very sketchy, or are they mostly okay?
2. Closer to UWM would be great, but very close to a Whole Foods would be equally great.
3. Close to the lake and/or parks is also a huge plus and can compensate for other things.
4. Several of these are managed by Shoreline Real Estate. Are they OK?
5. Overall are Milwaukee landlords very strict on credit and income requirements? My credit and such should be in decent shape, but definitely isn't perfect.
6. There are a lot of apartments available! Is it always such a renter's market in Milwaukee?
7. I also noticed a lot of them are owner managed which is pretty unique for a big city.
8. Are any of the above "very cool" locations because of some amenities/bars/vintage shops or something else that is awesome? (that I wouldn't know about being from out-of-state)

Sorry for all the questions.
Even if you share one comment it would be helpful.
I will be able to get there next month to look at neighborhoods & apartments in person.

Thanks!

Last edited by summer22; 05-11-2012 at 04:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Three other things I thought to add:
* I need parking... whether its provided (parking lot/driveway) or ample street parking, but minimally I need space to park one car, ideally two.
* One of the reasons I avoid living in sketchy neighborhoods is because I enjoy late night walks... and I'm that guy who goes to Taco Bell (or somewhere to eat) at 2am. If I can walk there without worry, its even better.
* I'm thinking about getting a pet, and if I get a dog, I'll definitely be taking him for a lot of walks.

I mined the forum, and found some older threads that were great...
just wanted to check if everything here still holds true, or if anyone had something to add.

There's this thread from 2010 and it sounds like what I'm looking for:
//www.city-data.com/forum/milwa...eater-mke.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydon13 View Post
What I would like is something in a "walkable" neighborhood. Come home from work, shower and change and without having to get back in the car be close to stores, restaurants, galleries, boutiques, nightlife, etc. Are there such neighborhoods? If so, where are they and would you actually want to live in them? Thanks for any info!
Also found some advice from another thread from 2008:
//www.city-data.com/forum/milwa...y-nesters.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtomke View Post
I rented on Prospect St, up near Brady and have really gotten spoiled. This location is absolutely terrific! Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtomke View Post
I ended up renting temporarily on the East Side. I got a fabulous condo in a great building with a lake view. It's VERY walkable - coffee shops, restaurants, park, bike paths, groceries, banks, etc. I feel quite comfortable and safe there. I like the area a lot, and will look for a place to buy. I will still consider the Third Ward, but really like the settled feel of the East Side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
I think third ward condos are probably more appropriate for the younger crowd or as vacation living. It gets crowded and loud during festival season (the entire summer). Street parking for guests will be almost nonexistent or expensive during that time. For an empty nester you may have better spots along Prospect Avenue which is a short walk to downtown and the lakefront.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
the whole East Side in general should be of interest to you. The Third Ward and Juneautown have heavy representation of young, professional singles, but many couples and single/coupled empty-nesters live there as well. These sections of the city are more "polished," and the housing price tag shows it. Many artists live in this area, but these artists tend to be pretty well established. The Brady Street and UWM areas have a greater college student influence, but are nevertheless popular with all sorts of urban dwellers. Housing is more expensive closer to the lake, and a bit less expensive on the southside of UWM. Choose your residence wisely, as sections can get very noisy. Riverwest also is popular with the college crowd, but also attracts many artsy folks in general who don't want to tangle with the higher housing prices closer to the lake. In Riverwest, the atmosphere is grittier and crime is a bit higher. Lots of "starving artists" here. Of course, Downtown itself (both sides of the river) has some very nice sections, but also has some pretty seedy areas.

The areas mentioned above (the East Side from UWM to the Third Ward) are the most densely populated and most walkable in the city itself. Shorewood, a suburb adjacent to Milwaukee (north of UWM), also is very walkable and is a very liberal, densely populated community. You might also like Whitefish Bay, just to the north of Shorewood, but perhaps it would feel a bit too suburban to you.

Other areas of the city of Milwaukee are worth looking into: the Fifth Ward (Walkers Point) is an up-and-coming area with lots of converted lofts, artist studios, new condos, etc. It is a bit less walkable than the East Side/Shorewood corridor, largely due to the industrial layout of the zone (bridges, railroad tracks, streets at odd angles), and also due to the lower population density. South of Walkers Point is Bay View, which is also a rather artsy neighborhood--really, a blue collar neighborhood that has been sort of (but not completely) gentrified over the past two decades.
Then this thread from 2009 has some notes of areas to definitely avoid, AND heating cost. $200-$300 a month... wow:
//www.city-data.com/forum/milwa...safe-help.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
the North/Oakland area is ideal for a young person wanting to be near nightlife, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tully View Post
Vibe stays good more or less, all the way up toward the Whole Foods/Oriental theater area. I'd still exercise some caution at night, there can be driftweed from parts west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tully View Post
There is a bad pollutor in that neighborhood-- Wisconsin Paperboard on North Ave and the river (east bank). The odor can't really be ignored. As pollutants go, I don't think papermaking is overly harmful to human health. If odor bothers you, you'll need to move south of Brady (to around Knapp St), or North of around Webster. Sadly, you can't escape it moving due-east... odor carries to Lake (but diminishes somewhat over that distance). Eastside odor won't hit you every day-- it's more like an every 3rd or 4th day thing. But I'd think it's worse than that, at that intersection.. I'm not there every day so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Last edited by summer22; 05-11-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
Hi summer22, you've really done your homework on this. I lived (for 2 years) a few blocks south of UWM when I moved to Milwaukee 10 years ago, but I work on campus and do a lot of my leisure and shopping in the campus area.

In my opinion, the best residential areas in the UWM vicinity are:

* The zone demarcated by Edgewood Ave. (to the north; it's the border between Mke and Shorewood), Farwell Ave. (to the west), Bradford Ave. (to the south), and the lake (to the east). This area consists of about three dozen blocks--primarily owner-occupied houses and some condos, but also a few apartment buildings and houses with apartments. There are some students living in this area, but they seem to be quieter and are less visible the farther east and south you go. This area is rather expensive, though, but I don't know what rental rates would be like specifically. Look for N-S street names (again, north of Bradford) like Prospect, Stowell, Hackett, Summer, Shepard, Marietta. Downer Ave is also N-S, but it's a main traffic artery and has significant student populations just south of campus. There are some good places on or off Downer from around Newberry south to Bradford, though. (There's an apt building on Belleview just to the west of Downer--some students, but other folks, too.) You might find something on Lake Drive, to, but it's mostly pricey houses and mansions. E-W cross streets include Newport, Hartford, Hampshire, Linnwood, Locust, Park Place, Belleview, Webster, and Bradford itself. Newberry Blvd is great, but it's all pricey owner-occupied houses. Downer Ave. is the main commercial strip for this large area, but the impact of business from the nearby North Ave. corridor has had an impact, so Downer is not so vibrant. But still, there's a small movie theater, bookstore, Starbucks, restaurant/bar, pub, pizzeria, small grocery, hardware store, pharmacy, and some other places. Part of this zone (west of Downer) is part of the Murray Hill neighborhood, and part of this zone (east of Downer) is part of the Water Tower neighborhood. This zone lies to the east and south east of UWM, and gorgeous Lake Park is part of the eastern border.

* Just to the south of the zone described above is the rest of the Water Tower neighbornood. Most of this area is quite desirable, but there are rentals--primarily to the west. The better part of this zone is bordered by Bradford Ave. (to the North), Propsect Ave (to the west), Kane Place (to the south), and the lake (to the east). Also good is the contiguous zone bordered by Prospect (to the east), Kane Place (to the south), Windsor Place (to the north), and the Milwaukee River (to the west). Also worth looking into is Prospect Ave. between Kenilworth (to the north) and Juneau (to the south)--there are lots of apartment and condo high-rises on this strip. These zones are farther away from UWM, but the Water Tower neighborhood puts you in comfortable walking distance to the Downer Ave. strip, as well as the various businesses and establishments on North Avenue (inc. Whole Foods), Farwell Ave., etc. These areas are farther from UWM, though.

* There are many areas of note south of Kane Place, too, and many young professionals live in the East Side's midsection between Windsor Place and Juneau Ave. This area is a patchwork of a few distinct and traditional neighborhoods (Yankee Hill, Juneautown, Brady St., etc.), but there are some good rentals to be had. Brady St. and Farwell Ave. are the main commercial strips for this zone, and rentals on these streets can be hit or miss--many students, lots of traffic, but overall a more diverse vibe than near UWM.

* North of UWM, the village of Shorewood has many rental properties, particularly in the area bordered by Edgewood (to the south), Downer (to the east), Capitol (to the north), and Oakland (to the west). Shorewood is kind of quiet, but it's very walkable. Capitol Ave. is a main traffic artery, but Oakland is a main traffic artery as well as the main commercial strip. There are some decent apartment buildings (like Fountainebleu) right around the public library, and the residents are generally well heeled and mature.

Now, in my view, it's best to avoid the areas south of campus (between the N-S streets Farwell and Oakland and the E-W streets Edgewood and North). There are some pockets in that zone that are very nice, but you really have to know where they are. This area is party central for many off-campus UWM students.

The microzones between Oakland Ave. and the Milwaukee River really vary. Some blocks are mostly owner-occupied and very stable, others are teeming with students. To the west of this section is Riverwest (it lies west of the Milwaukee River). There are some nice areas, esp. along Humboldt Ave. and on the little streets closer to the river. I wouldn't recommend looking for rentals farther west than that, though. Riverwest is home to a good mix of students, musicians, urban pioneers, etc., but it really isn't a place to walk around later at night.

In your list you have other neighborhoods represented--Bayview, Brewers Hill, etc. These can be very good places, but it depends where.

As per the specific intersections you cite, here's my two cents (in bold):

Brady & Warren - Lower East Side good, walkable neighborhood
Locust & Maryland - 3 blocks s. of UWM - Murray Hill avoid
Oakland & Providence above a store -- Upper East Side -- half block or less from UWM no
Cass & State - Plaza Hotel Building - Yankee Hill/Juneau good neighborhood
Marshall & Kilbourn - Juneau Town good neighborhood
Oakland & Olive -- North of Shorewood? good neighborhood, suburban, but near shopsAdjacent to Humboldt Park -- Bay View (nice unit!) depends on street
Oakland & North -- Murray Hill -- vibrant neighborhood--interesting but noisy. I would avoid, but YMMV
Knapp & Prospect -- Yankee Hill good neighborhood
1st & North -- Brewers Hill avoid
1505 N. Franklin Place just south of Brady could be good, could be too noisy
1601 E. Farwell just south of Brady I would avoid b/c of traffic and apartment rowLafayette & Farwell new construction Maybe noisy, but maybe worth it--good area
Weil & North -- Riverwest avoid--lots of traffic, iffy area
Humboldt & Center -- South of Locust -- Riverwest probably okay; Center is retail artery for Riverwest, and Humboldt is a nice street
Gordon & Wright -- Riverwest probably good--close to river

Old 05-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Thanks! Great information, I really appreciate it!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
I hear shoreline is not so hot. My building at 1651 N Farwell Ave has a great landlord and inexpensive rents and they are currently remodeling apt 302 a large one bedroom which will probably go for about 600.00 all included except electric. Call Michael at 414.803.7486 Good people and we are all friendly. It is like a cool place to be.
Thanks! Not quite ready yet to commit, it will be a couple months before my lease here ends. But I'll save the number!

Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM

402 posts, read 976,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Thanks! Not quite ready yet to commit, it will be a couple months before my lease here ends. But I'll save the number!
You're Welcome. I neglected to see that you might get a dog. Unfortunately there are no dogs in the bldg.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 AM

78 posts, read 229,309 times
It should be noted that Shorewood is not a neighborhood of Milwaukee, but rather a separate municipality.

That has some very good aspects -- for instance, its own police department which is much more responsive than Milwaukee's for routine calls. As a result, crime is as a general rule much lower in Shorewood than in neighboring areas to the south and west.

It also has some negative aspects -- it has very strict street/overnight parking requirements compared to Milwaukee, which makes parking availability with your rental unit a bigger deal.

If you like living in areas with younger people but not necessarily undergrads, I would look at the Third Ward, Fifth Ward or Bay View in addition to Shorewood.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,250 times
Shorewood and WFB have less of a college atmosphere and more of a young family atmosphere compared to places like Riverwest. There are still college students in Shorewood, but they are not the majority.

Also there is not much of a night life in Shorewood. There are several bars along Oakland north and south of Capitol but everything is so spread out that you wouldn't go bar hopping. Most of the bars for younger people are along Brady street or in Riverwest so if that's what you're interested in check out the lower east side or Riverwest. Riverwest isn't too intimidating if you're not bothered by hipsters. There have been times where I've walked 1/2 a mile in Shorewood late at night along Capitol drive and not even seen a car pass by, much less another person. Shorewood has a very nice buzz of activity during the day, however.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,740 times
Summer22,

Generally speaking all of the mentioned areas are fine. Some you will like more than others based on subjective personal opinion. I'm very familar with all of those areas. At the very least, you will have a solid decent first place, and you will then be able to make a more informed personal decision after that.

For me, and only me, my favorite area where I lived was Lafayette Hill. It fits your mentioned criteria too. I was from elsewhere and felt that area was one of the areas that was a good fit for me personally. i don't see anything wrong with just about any of your areas. And remember, these areas aren't all that far from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee