Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times

Advertisements

Though I'm a longtime poster here, I figured I should start getting feedback on neighborhoods to relocate in-- May as well be on the receiving end of advice for once! I've been living in a condo in Mequon, but my partner is moving here soon and we'll be looking for a new home. Here are some things to consider:

* We're a gay couple interested in a house, townhouse, or perhaps a condo. A townhouse would be ideal, but Milwaukee doesn't have too many of them, so we're leaning toward a standard house. A condo may be okay, but it would have to be really great to trump a house or townhouse.

* We're interested in houses that cost up to around $220,000, but we would prefer something under $200,000. If it's a condo or condo-style townhouse, the price would have to be on the lower end, especially if dues are high.

* My partner is retired, but I work on the East Side, so a short commute is ideal. Obvious places to consider include the East Side, Shorewood, WFB, Glendale, Fox Point, and Bayside, though our price range limits our options pretty severely. We're not opposed to exploring other places farther afield that are gay-friendly, relatively inexpensive, and relatively safe. Bayview is surely an option, but what sections would be better bets? Other neighborhoods we're exploring: Sherman Park? Washington Heights? Other neighborhoods we should consider? I know these and others are good places in the area, but the gay thing, the commute, and the money are all big issues.

* It would be great to be in a neighborhood with a goodly number of professionals, including black, white, Latino, and Asian professionals. Some students around are fine, but we'd prefer not to live in a neighborhood catering primarily to students. We're older, bourgeois folks who want to sleep at night.

* I tend to lean toward the eastern flank of the metro area (North Shore, East Side, Bayview) not only for the commute, but also because I'm a birder (and the eastern-flank parks are excellent for birding). But maybe I can be swayed to look more closely at the west side or other areas?

* We know that at our price range we can't be too ambitious with house styles and such, but something "charming" like a classic bungalow or such would be better than a boring ranch house. But like I said, we know our options are limited given our "wish list" of features.

Should I keep looking at the "usual suspect" neighborhoods? Or perhaps there are some places I've forgotten about or should take another look at?

Last edited by Empidonax; 02-09-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 10:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Anywhere in Milwaukee County will do! nobody really cares if you're gay or not, even people that might disagree with your lifestyle and that are against gay marriage don't care, I have found that the whole "living in conservative/liberal area" doesn't matter. As long as you are a good neighbor you'll do fine and politics or sexual preference never comes up. Trust me as a strong conservative living in "Gay Walker's Point" it's not even an issue, I get along great with my building neighbors and we have cookouts and go out and hit the town together. You might get odd looks if you moved up to far northern Wisconsin but even then I doubt anyone would say anything. In the whole 7 county Milwaukee area I don't think you'll run into an issue at all. Based upon on my 2 gay friends that live out in the suburbs they don't have any issues in New Berlin or Pewaukee so I doubt you would have an issue anywhere in Milwaukee County.

As far as where to look based upon what you seek I would say Bayview east of KK, Historic Walker's Point like from 6th St on the west and Greenfield on the South north to Florida and east to 1st st. I really like this area of Walker's Point, the east side will be tricky, you have such a mix of students, professionals, hippies, retirees closer to the lake and just single people. For the east side it will really depend on the block you are looking at. South of Brady leans more yuppie and closer to the lake leans old money and north of Brady can be a mix but mostly students. I really like the Downer ave area, but good luck trying to find a home for under 300K.

I say Bay View(KK and east) or Historic Walker's Point which is different than Walker's Point. It is the area defined by the borders I described. Come spring time a lot of houses will pop-up. To me the Whole East Side has become to cliche for me, and always the popular pick for most people but really look into the area of Historic Walker's Point. Just drive up and down 3rd, 4th and 5th streets and you will see a lot of older homes that have been remodeled and look great. You might have to buy a fixer upper or a touch and finishes home that just needs paint and new carpet. The homes on 3rd, 4th and 5th between Greenfield and National is a great option along with the homes north of national between 3rd and 2nd and north to Florida street. Take a day and park the car and walk the neighborhoods that you are interested in, driving just does not do justice. I love Walker's Point it's live a small town in the middle of Milwaukee, it really is a very close knit area. If the wife and I weren't having kids we might stay here long term. I think WP is the best area in the central city, close to the lake and downtown and the third ward, safe and affordable and easy commutes as well. Plus we have some of the best restaurants in the city all within a mile of 2nd & National. Cab rates are always cheap and easy to find since the cab companies are located right here, I love being able to walk right outside my door and hail a cab as if I were downtown. Plus the we have the train station very close and a lot of bus lines as well and easy and great freeway access at 6th& Mineral.

Good Luck! hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Thanks, Milwaukee City-- I've become so used to thinking of Walker's Point as a place for condos and up-and-coming businesses, that it really hasn't been on my radar to consider houses there. We will indeed take a look at the places you mentioned.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM

156 posts, read 351,321 times
I think a big advantage of Sherman Park and also Washington Heights is that for price range you would be much more able to buy a home with character and architectural details. A great example of this is a Sherman Park bungalow that coincidentally is profiled in JSOnline today. It sold last year for $199,000.

You'd be close to Washington Park, though I don't know if it's any good for birds.

As someone who has lived on both the east and west side I think you would miss the east side. However one thing I liked about the west side was the central location relative to the whole metro area.

In your price range I just think it would be hard to buy a place in the quiet parts of the Milwaukee's East Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee