Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,013 times

Advertisements

Will be working in South Milwaukee. We have 2 young kids (2 & infant), and want to consider school districts. Shopping nearby is also a plus. We have been looking at Oak Creek, Greendale, and Franklin. It appears that Franklin is popular and the house prices reflect that. What is the reason? Is it worth the extra money? Budget is 250-325k. Oak Creek is on the lake. Are there any public beaches? Would residency matter for going to the beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:54 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,033,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulie View Post
Will be working in South Milwaukee. We have 2 young kids (2 & infant), and want to consider school districts. Shopping nearby is also a plus. We have been looking at Oak Creek, Greendale, and Franklin. It appears that Franklin is popular and the house prices reflect that. What is the reason? Is it worth the extra money? Budget is 250-325k. Oak Creek is on the lake. Are there any public beaches? Would residency matter for going to the beaches?
Franklin is more upscale or white collar and has better infrastructure than Oak Creek, Schools are going to be good in any Milwaukee suburb. Property taxes in Franklin are going to be higher as well, Franklin is known for having bigger lots and more trees and woods. Property taxes will be lower in Oak Creek, Cudahy, South Milwaukee than Franklin and if I remember correctly Greendale will be less than Franklin but not much less you want to check that out. Is it worth the extra money? it depends on you. Franklin seems to have nice homes and better planned subdivisions than Oak Creek but it's a huge difference. As far as Beaches the best beach in Milwaukee is Bradford in my opinion but there is smaller beaches along the south shore from Bay View down to Caledonia in Racine County. Racine has a nice big beach too. Residency wouldn't matter for beaches along the lake front from me experience is that most homes on Lake Michigan don't have private access to the lake but will have a set of steps down to the lake. I love being close to the lake and it makes for a cooler summer and warmer fall and parts of winter as well. It's called the Lake Effect where temps can be nearly 30 degrees cooler near the lake or 25 degrees warmer in the winter. I wouldn't rule out South Milwaukee either they have some nice homes right near Grant Park and the lake. Shopping will be a horse a piece wherever you go unless you choose to live in Greendale which puts you very close to Southridge mall and the 76th St shopping corridor also it gives you fast freeway access to other malls like Bayshore or Mayfair or Brookfield Sq.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,413,815 times
If no kids were involved.. is South Milwaukee decent?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM

4,358 posts, read 6,509,872 times
You would probably want to get further away than South Milwaukee regardless of children or not. All those listed above are very good areas.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 AM

458 posts, read 1,244,289 times
I would not want to live in South Milwaukee but that's just me.

Both Oak Creek and Franklin very suburban and pretty much offer what you'd expect from a suburb.

Oak Creek is more affordable and does have some nice subdivisions. Franklin has more upscale, newer subdivisions but the property taxes are much higher.

Honestly you might want to look at homes in both places and make your decision based on the home you want rather than which suburb since they are so close and fairly similar.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM

78 posts, read 228,610 times
I actually like South Milwaukee a lot. I have friends who live there and it's a nice quiet neighborhood. I think it gets kind of a bad rap although I'm not sure why. It has sort of a blue collar "stigma" associated with it but I think that is somewhat undeserved. If you can find a nice house at a good price I would go for it. Oak Creek (depending on location) is more convenient as you have the Howell Ave retail corridor and easier access to I-94.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee