Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times

Advertisements

[quote=quickdraw;1731702][quote=RomanInSF;1727180]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
South Asian?, East Asian?, Southeast Asian?

I am not Asian, so I don't have an Asian perspective on Milwaukee. I do however have different friends from Milwaukee who are Asian. Their happiness isn't any more or less than anyone else's.
Asians are welcome just like anyone else in Milwaukee. Milwaukee could use more of them. Milwaukee is mostly white and black and also a sizeable 13% or so amount Hispanic, mainly Mexican.(You'll see a sprinkling of Asians in all parts of the city and burbs, just not a lot of them, to anyone who has lived anywhere where there are higher populations of Asians,... and you 'll see more younger versions of them near the schools you mentioned). This isn't Fremont California where more than a third of the population is Asian. There are some other more rural and small town/cities parts of the state that have some Hmong populations. Chicago 1 hour South doesn't have a large percentage of Asians in their population, however, because of the larger population size, they would have more in sheer number. To name just one example Devon Street Corridor is very South Asian there...and so on.

There are no Asian racial tensions in Milwaukee. Racial tension in Milwaukee is black and white and WAY overblown.

The guy tries to help you and you reply like this? I suspect you'll have a hard time in Milwaukee, though not because you're asian. Because of the chip on your shoulder.
Well said, and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:49 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
[quote=RomanInSF;1727180][quote=Fishtacos;1604785]South Asian?, East Asian?, Southeast Asian?

I am not Asian, so I don't have an Asian perspective on Milwaukee. I do however have different friends from Milwaukee who are Asian. Their happiness isn't any more or less than anyone else's.
Asians are welcome just like anyone else in Milwaukee. Milwaukee could use more of them. Milwaukee is mostly white and black and also a sizeable 13% or so amount Hispanic, mainly Mexican.(You'll see a sprinkling of Asians in all parts of the city and burbs, just not a lot of them, to anyone who has lived anywhere where there are higher populations of Asians,... and you 'll see more younger versions of them near the schools you mentioned). This isn't Fremont California where more than a third of the population is Asian. There are some other more rural and small town/cities parts of the state that have some Hmong populations. Chicago 1 hour South doesn't have a large percentage of Asians in their population, however, because of the larger population size, they would have more in sheer number. To name just one example Devon Street Corridor is very South Asian there...and so on.

There are no Asian racial tensions in Milwaukee. Racial tension in Milwaukee is black and white and WAY overblown.

Quote:

Thank you, but since you're not Asian, your comments here belong in another thread.

Asians may be welcome, but I'd like to read their perspective on whether this is true, and which parts of the city are not accepting.

I'd like to know why more Asians don't target Milwaukee as their home. You can't speak to this.

If the city is not accustomed to Asians, you can bet that there is racial tension towards them. Again, you can't speak to this.

You say racial tensions are overblown, but that really depends on one's perspective, doesn't it?

I don't really need to be Asian to have an opinion on anything. However, considering I have family who are Asian and also many friends, colleagues and a significant other of Asian descent, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. And my thoughts would be relevant and welcomed if I hadn't had the above either.

You had a chip on your shoulder the first time I answered your inquiry and it didn't leave the second time, and it was pointed out to you, .....

so my suggestion is find another board if you can't be civil with those here.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 AM

232 posts, read 948,346 times
[quote=quickdraw;1731702][quote=RomanInSF;1727180]
Quote:

The guy tries to help you and you reply like this? I suspect you'll have a hard time in Milwaukee, though not because you're asian. Because of the chip on your shoulder.

maybe this guy is ethnocentric lol

Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Again, more specifically...

More specifically, I'd like to know what Asians feel about the city of Milwaukee. What parts of the city do you find most accepting? Do you feel that the city is targeted as a future destination for Asian businesses, for example high-tech companies from China and Japan? If so, what parts of Milwaukee are preferred. How do you see outsourcing affecting Milwaukee?

I'd like to hear from Asians who are familiar with Milwaukee. But for you non-Asians who are dying to give a perspective, if you have any insights based on your association with asian residents and families in the area, please share. Spare me though, your opinions about what you THINK Asians feel and experience. I'm not interested in conjecture and hearsay.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times
[quote=Fishtacos;1749366][quote=RomanInSF;1727180]
Quote:

I don't really need to be Asian to have an opinion on anything. However, considering I have family who are Asian and also many friends, colleagues and a significant other of Asian descent, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. And my thoughts would be relevant and welcomed if I hadn't had the above either.

You had a chip on your shoulder the first time I answered your inquiry and it didn't leave the second time, and it was pointed out to you, .....

so my suggestion is find another board if you can't be civil with those here.
Fishtacos isn't racist! Some of his best friends are black. Come on!
He knows all about Asian culture. He goes to Chinese restaurants!
He's a world traveler, he's been to Paris... Texas.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 PM

319 posts, read 665,056 times
As an Asian who lived in Milwaukee for over 20 years, the city is fine.
Asian restaurants and grocery stores are readily available although not nearly as big as Chicago stores.
We fit in fine anywhere outside of the ghetto, most people don't care about Asians and don't know which ethnicity we belong to.
Most Asians here are Hmong and Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are rare.
The city would welcome any new businesses and employment opportunities from Asian companies, unless you cater to the Asian population, then you won't have enough business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee