Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,235 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move from the 200 block of 2nd Street in Walker's Point to somewhere in Brewer's Hill? Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't know a ton about Brewer's Hill and have heard it has not the greatest reputation....my main concern is that I'm not moving into a more dangerous neighborhood. Any thoughts, suggestions? Very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I prefer Walker's Point to Brewers Hill however if you are moving into one of the condos upon the bluff and a much nicer home or condo I might consider it but that's all I would do. I prefer as I live in Walker's Point being close to the Third Ward, summerfest grounds and Veterans Park and great freeway access and a back way into Miller Park aka Canal Street. I like the vibe better in Walker's Point and Brewers Hill is largely residential with having the brady st neighborhood just across the bridge. You might have more spill over crime in Brewers Hill than Walker's Point but depending where you live in BH you shouldn't have a problem. BH still has a longer way to complete revitalization than say Walker's Point. WP is more warehouses and less trees and grass and BH is more homes with yards and trees probably quieter as well though. The thing with BH is that you can have a $400,000 condo or house right next to a $50,000 house. In BH their are better streets than others and you will probably find it easier to find a big historic home in BH than WP but chances are you will have to redo the house.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,235 times
thanks for the input. also, i heard from some random person i was talking to at a restaurant that brewers hill has a lot of car breakins if your parking outside. anyone know if that's true? thanks.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 17,923 times
Have been renting in Brewers Hill since December of last year and for the most part enjoy it.

I do find the dynamic of very nicely restored homes being immediately adjacent to ones that look like they could fall over with a stiff breeze to be prevalent in the area.

I have had my car rummaged through one Saturday night, but I believe I left the door open (a lot of things to carry in that night, must’ve forgot to lock the doors) as things were thrown about and they didn’t have to break a window to get in. This did leave me to wonder how the one day I leave my car doors unlocked, things get stolen. Leads me to believe people are walking up and down the streets every weekend night lifting car handles. Also, a neighbor near the Shoeworks Lofts had his nicer car broken into once (small rear side window shattered) and once forgot to lock the doors and things were taken in the 4 years of their residence. I don’t see too much suspicious behavior during the day, but these instances have me now double checking the locks on the cars and house at night to be sure.

I could see how now would be a great time to buy an older place and renovate. I would imagine how in the near future (5-10 years?) everything south of North Ave would be pretty close to “revitalized”. My wife and I go for frequent walks during the day on weekdays or the weekend and find everyone we encounter to say hello and be quite friendly. If I was capable of any kind of remodeling efforts, I would seriously consider buying into this area as I can see the area being quite desirable (proximity to downtown/east side, decent size lots, neighborhood feel). About 4 different sets of neighbors are very friendly and always stop and say hello when randomly encountered outside.

Not at all familiar with WP, sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee