Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:25 PM

237 posts, read 192,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Well, you guys did help elect mr obama. We all know just how helpful that was.
I'm black and as much as I dislike Obama, there was no better choice. Mitt Romney supported sweatshops and flip flopped at every interview. He was just a tool for lobbyist to use. No other party had a chance of winning so Obama it is.

Anyway, I never imagined Wisconsin had a large black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
It doesn't. Milwaukee does though.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I went to Walmart on Fond Du Lac this weekend because it was in the area and I needed something. I noticed the majority of people were darker than me (but not by much), so I didn't pay it any mind.

I went into the store, the department I needed, and the shelf where I thought the item would be. Next to me an employee started stocking things (she was an older black woman that seemed nice). I noticed what I needed wasn't on the shelf. I asked politely, 'maam, do you have any more of these?' Without looking up or even acknowledging my presence, she replied, 'no, we don't'. I was shocked since she didn't even know what I was asking about. Knowing I wasn't welcome, I quickly thanked her and left.

Not the most racist thing I'm sure, but one of most racist for me. I'm sticking to the 'white' parts of Milwaukee. I can't believe 'they' get rude if 'another colored' comes to their store.
Maybe it's not about race but about that Walmart? Maybe she just didn't care about doing her job well & she was also black... how do you know she doesn't say the same thing to every other customer?

I'm not saying she isn't... I wasn't there, but your story seems to reveal more about you than the woman in the store.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM

283 posts, read 434,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Maybe it's not about race but about that Walmart? Maybe she just didn't care about doing her job well & she was also black... how do you know she doesn't say the same thing to every other customer?

I'm not saying she isn't... I wasn't there, but your story seems to reveal more about you than the woman in the store.
I completely agree that I could have misinterpreted it. But racism is about what feels like racism when it isn't cut and dry. I know bad customer service when I see it (I've been in that industry most of my life), but this had a different tinge to it. It just felt really racist to me. I could be wrong, but I don't want to expose myself to the possibility of being on the short end of the stick again just to find out what the root cause is.

I hate that more people are not like yourself--a little more open-minded and understanding.

Sorry if anything I posted offended you as that was not my intent. I think I just vented a little too much.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,298 times
I was born and raised in Milwaukee and was fortunate enough to move away for a few years. I recently moved back and I am in complete and utter shock at what has become of this city. From my observation, Milwaukee has become both extremely ghetto and extremely racist. I was hired at one job and a white coworker said, "Oh, they hire anybody now huh?" I no longer find people here to be friendly and crime seems to be lurking around every corner. My family and friends that have never left the state do not see the city for what it really is. Many stay because of the lower cost of living or are simply afraid to move away from aunt Rita or uncle Pete. Milwaukee is not a progressive city, instead I only see regression and extreme poverty. I also believe that many have just accepted this as just "The way things are," and are not willing to speak openly about the problems that exist here.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:09 PM

180 posts, read 327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Blacks/white here? No issues as far as being able to mingle in public places without any violence/attitudes towards each other...
There are races that do not fit in those two categories lol.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,920 times
Default A useful bit of advice, since you're not racist...

Quote:
I left Milwaukee for South Florida in '95 and am considering moving back in the spring.
(This area has changed drastically and while I love the weather, the COL is out of control and it's far from laid back here now.)

After being gone so long and reading threads on here.. I had completely forgotten about the racist tensions there and am scared of what's happened there in the past few years.

I'm a white, 50 year old female and not racist whatsoever.
For almost 17 years, I haven't experienced anything down here that goes on in Milwaukee.

Blacks/white here? No issues as far as being able to mingle in public places without any violence/attitudes towards each other...

(Or at least the situations I was involved in in Milwaukee where a random black woman would verbally assault me for existing... this happened countless times and scared me senseless.)

Is anybody doing anything to try and unite the citizens of Milwaukee or do you think things will continue to escalate or?

I'd love to move back, but that 1950s mentality of "us vs them".. I couldn't live like that.

Opinions?
When you explicitly state that you're "not a racist whatsoever", that statement is, in reality, nothing but denial and an admission that you are actually just insecure about your racism because it has become increasingly less acceptable to be racist in today's society. So if you want to make a credible, sincere impression, then say instead (if you must say anything at all) something along the lines of, "i realize that i, too, am racist in many ways, but i'm working on that and trying to understand the people i've been taught to be racist towards all my life."

Do yourself a favor and think about that the next time you interact with a person whose race you think you don't have a problem with.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:12 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Glad you live in Arkansas.
......and I'm equally glad you reside in the great state of Florida.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:30 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
I'm black and as much as I dislike Obama, there was no better choice. Mitt Romney supported sweatshops and flip flopped at every interview. He was just a tool for lobbyist to use. No other party had a chance of winning so Obama it is.

Anyway, I never imagined Wisconsin had a large black population.
In hindsight, yes there was. Mr romney might not have been a conservative but he did have a realistic view of foreign affairs. Don't get me wrong. The damage mr obama has wrought on liberalism is fantastic. I love this guy. May hillary continue the carnage. If her campaign so far is any indication......she will.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:49 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,588 times
I couldn't get past the "lack of racial tension" in FLORIDA!!

Quote:
I left Milwaukee for South Florida in '95 and am considering moving back in the spring.
(This area has changed drastically and while I love the weather, the COL is out of control and it's far from laid back here now.)

After being gone so long and reading threads on here.. I had completely forgotten about the racist tensions there and am scared of what's happened there in the past few years.

I'm a white, 50 year old female and not racist whatsoever.
For almost 17 years, I haven't experienced anything down here that goes on in Milwaukee.

(Or at least the situations I was involved in in Milwaukee where a random black woman would verbally assault me for existing... this happened countless times and scared me senseless.)

Is anybody doing anything to try and unite the citizens of Milwaukee or do you think things will continue to escalate or?

I'd love to move back, but that 1950s mentality of "us vs them".. I couldn't live like that.

Opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee