Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:09 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times

Advertisements

I lived in South Milwaukee for 45 years and moved away to Arizona 20 years ago. I often think about the city that I grew up in. Any locals care to tell me what has changed in the past 20 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Anybody There???

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I lived in South Milwaukee for 45 years and moved away to Arizona 20 years ago. I often think about the city that I grew up in. Any locals care to tell me what has changed in the past 20 years?
Helloooooooooo. Hmmmm Maybe no one lives there anymore...

Old 10-11-2006, 09:15 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Default I feel your pain

AZLoafer...

I started 2 threads regarding Milwaukee as well and no one has chimed in either; not enough Milwaukeeans on this forum perhaps?

Oh well! Hopefully some more Milwaukeeans will find the site soon!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:39 PM

246 posts, read 328,931 times
Quote:
I don't think any of the houses have been painted since you left.

Magpies

Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 42,595 times
Wink Hi azloafer

Hi azloafer ~

I grew up in SM. I lived there my first 23 years. I now live in New Berlin for the past 13 years.For a while I lived out of state and in Milwaukee in between living in SM and NB.

We still go down to SM for family functions as both my husband and I have family still living there.

What would you like to know?

I would love to talk more with you.

NBWIShirl

Old 11-02-2006, 04:34 PM

I just wondered what has changed in the past 20 years. One post said that the houses have not been painted in the past 20 years. Thanks for the link to the local paper.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,612 times
We recently bought a small (very) in south milwaukee. We like the area, the houses were reasonable and the taxes haven't become as outrageous as other areas. We live close to "downtown" (the one busy street in sm.)
Alot of the area businesses ( the small store front rentals sit empty.)
But there is a brand new Pick N Save in the shopping center that used to hold Kohls foods. It was completely remodeled and has blockbuster, walgreens, a chinese resturant and a few small stores. There are brand new condo buildings right off the corner of college and n. chicago. At this point they look kinda out of place. Still has a small town feel. People are nice but it you havent lived here all your life --- its hard to make new friends.
There is a gorgeous new high school (and a tax increase to prove it) but the school district cant afford the correct staffing to clean and upkeep it. There have been numerous problems at the new high school with threats of violence against the students being made by who knows what wacko (or kid) our daughter goes to school there. She says there is a serious drug problem in the area. We did have our cars ransacked if we forgot to lock them. Cd's stolen. so we assume it was kids. We lock the cars and havent had any real problems. The streets are clean and I know all my neighbors keep their houses painted and looking nice.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the update!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 13,331 times
Default South Milwaukee

Quote:
Helloooooooooo. Hmmmm Maybe no one lives there anymore...
Come to South Milwaukee.

Whether you are a drunk or a junkie you will love wonderful downtown South Milwaukee.

Alcohol is cheep, plentiful and available with in 10 yards for you, no matter were you are!

Our bars only close for 4 hours a day. You’ll never have to stop drinking!!!

Drugs like Marijuana, cocaine, crack, heroin, pills and methamphetamines… we have them all! And all at the best deals in the state!
In stock and for sale in most of our South Milwaukee bars!!!

Don’t worry about work; here in South Milwaukee being fat and lazy qualifies you for disability. We will pay you to not work!!!

More rooming houses than can be counted. Here in South Milwaukee we cater to the person on a fixed SSI income.
Rooms for just $5 a day!!!

And you won’t have to worry about our police. Our South Milwaukee Police own most of the rooming houses in South Milwaukee!!!

Our South Milwaukee Police will take care of you. As long as you are a drunk or a junkie you will never have to pay a fine again. Our South Milwaukee Police Department has a rule “if you don’t work, we won’t write a ticket”

South Milwaukee has city corruption that rivals that of much large cities like Chicago.
So as long as you know the right people we will work for you!!

We have room for you all, so please, come on down to South Milwaukee.
Enjoy all that South Milwaukee has to offer!
More alcohol, more drugs, more bars, more rooms for rent, and more cops who don't care!
PLUS you will never have to work again so you can spend your whole life getting drunk and using drugs!!!

Do you like Harley’s reving up, misfiring and backfiring? In South Milwaukee we have our Harley Davidson’s roaring up and down every street at full throttle at a whopping top speed of 40MPH 24 hours a day. You will never get sick of the sweet sound of Milwaukee Iron!

Don’t work or have government benefits? Not a problem in South Milwaukee.
There still is no shortage of foolish home owners you can rob and steal from.
Or start an exiting new career in crime. Do to our Police Department and city Government we will always have openings in fields like: Drug dealer, Thief, Home Invasion, and Car Theft.

Looking for a new Vacation spot? South Milwaukee is it!
Come see our overwhelming Homeless Population. See them rummaging thru garbage bags for food. Or steeling scrap metals like aluminum screen doors off of houses for beer money!

Although do to our overwhelming population of Pedophiles and violent sex offenders you must be 18 to enter South Milwaukee. We boast more sex offender per capita than most big cities!

All in wonderful South Milwaukee!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 AM

4 posts, read 101,108 times
Ya, South Milwaukee is a turd. I grew up there from 95-2006. It was quaint enough when my parents bought a horrible house right next to buceyrus on the west side of manitoba ave. It is a blue collar bubble of a community. Kids grow up there, graduate from the high school, marry someone from town, get a job somewhere east of 76th street but south of Layton Ave (i'm convinced people from South Milwaukee/Cudahy don't often venture beyond those markers), and then buy a house in town. It's cultural inbreeding. The fact that there is a tavern per 300 residents and they all do enough business to stay open is a sad fact. It used to be insular yet quaint but what happened in the last 5 years is two things. First, families from the North and South side of Milwaukee discovered you can rent or buy a home for the same price they do in the ghetto (the property taxes are dirt cheap). I take it the parents want to remove their children from inner city environment and put them in a better school. In S. Milwaukee you can afford that but you can't take the ghetto out of the kids. It's all rubbed off on the current generation. When I went to High School there there was some fake gangster kids and plenty of suburban boring jock types as well but the town is infested with ignorrant white gangsta kids or alcoholic druggy trash. Secondly, Racine to the south is a drug hub from chicago. South Milwaukee was a gateway of drug trafficking in the suburbs. my brother is a product of that initial wave of trafficking. Oak Creek maybe between the two but It retains both rural and ever growing subdivision expansion where the tax rate is higher and Home prices remain typical of an upper middle class suburb. South Milwaukee Is low class trash suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee