Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 22,954 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replys, yes I know it is a bad area considering some of the back roads that stretch off capitol that are pitch black at night and when driving down them its not to fun when you see 15+ people standing in the middle of the road and you have to drive through them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonjr View Post
Thanks for the replys, yes I know it is a bad area considering some of the back roads that stretch off capitol that are pitch black at night and when driving down them its not to fun when you see 15+ people standing in the middle of the road and you have to drive through them
While that area is bad it's not like 20th & Center, the northside to me is a lot calmer during the day but come evening into late night hours, forgettaboutit.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 PM

8 posts, read 22,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
While that area is bad it's not like 20th & Center, the northside to me is a lot calmer during the day but come evening into late night hours, forgettaboutit.
What are your thoughts on North Division highschool? The surrounding area is a really really poor area and that school must be pretty violent.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,458,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonjr View Post
Just wondering, the general area of 27th and capitol and almost all of capitol drive, is that a bad area? And if so what are the parts to avoid the most around there?
This is one of those questions that depends on one's perception of what is "bad."

For me it is bad. And I was reared more along the area of 35th and Burleigh.

I don't think that area of 27th street is the worst part of the North side let alone the city. But it's not the shiniest jewel of the city either. It all depends on how much - in whatever frequency - B.S. over the course of years you are willing to put up with.

The area around 60th street is much, much better if you ask me. That could be some real good living over there. Even 35th street area is pretty okay. But that's my opinion.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,433,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I don't think that area of 27th street is the worst part of the North side let alone the city. But it's not the shiniest jewel of the city either. It all depends on how much - in whatever frequency - B.S. over the course of years you are willing to put up with.
What area would you define as the worst part of the North side?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,201,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
This is one of those questions that depends on one's perception of what is "bad."

For me it is bad. And I was reared more along the area of 35th and Burleigh.

The area around 60th street is much, much better if you ask me. That could be some real good living over there. Even 35th street area is pretty okay. But that's my opinion.
I wouldnt say the area around 60th is much better-yes, better, than 27th, but on more than one occasion when I taught on 65th/capitol we had to clear the playground at recess due to shootings and/or robberies in broad daylight.
I have family that still lives on 20th capital-lived in Milwaukee and recently got out-neighborhood after neighborhood that I lived in turned over the years-loud, crime, theft, violence. Lived on the west and northwest my whole life, but left this summer for a safer place to raise my family. I wouldnt suggest anywhere on the north side of Milwaukee. When I taught on 40-something between capital/Burleigh, I had students tell me they had to sleep on the floor because of the frequent gunfire-they were afraid to sleep in their beds. Sad.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,458,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
What area would you define as the worst part of the North side?
I don't know. When I was in my mid-twenties I borrowed a revolver (I think a .32) to temporarily give (for protection) to a young 19 year old woman I liked and knew.

She had witnessed the boy or young man she was talking to on the corner of her street be shot in the head by some young guy that walked up to him. I was surprised when I handed her the firearm and she handled the weapon like she was more than familiar with pistols.

That area always struck me as one of the tougher in the city. It was on 19th and Wright.

Thirty-fifth and Center going south can get pretty gritty too. Going down East of that is tough too. All that around 27th and Burleigh is gritty. So is around 1st and Keefe with the Vice Lords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
When I taught on 40-something between capital/Burleigh, I had students tell me they had to sleep on the floor because of the frequent gunfire-they were afraid to sleep in their beds. Sad.
That may be true. But sounds like an exaggeration to me. I'm typing from 37th and Burleigh right now were I was raised. My apartment is on the West side on Highland but I'm over here all the time.

You here gun fire over here. It's nothing abnormal. But it's not so frequent one is afraid to sleep on the floor. At least not anyone I know of. But it can be tough. Not the toughest in the city or in the country but it can still be tough at times. Robberies, murder, rape... they all happen. It was better in the 1980's when I was growing up (though still could be tough then too) but it's not somewhere I would want to raise kids today. Violence can happen anywhere but lets just say it's going to happen to you on Burleigh sooner rather than later. If you're like me it'll happen multiple times. But around here that's just living. And this is a middle-class black neighborhood. Or at least it was when the Baby Boomers were working at A.O. Smith. My generation of black males are largely unemployed, with felonies, and if they do work usually (not always) it's low paying job... probably less than $12 an hour.

One of my brothers lives in the Bayview neighborhood. That's good living. I always thought that area was a suburb. I could live over their and basically vanishes if I never left from that neighborhood. Aside from Bayview High School black people from the North side don't really travel over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee