Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM

207 posts, read 698,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, there are Hispanic gangs in the Atlanta area. You can find them in places like DeKalb County and Gwinnett County.

Highways play a big part in the drug trade, so nearby areas got hit.
Touche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I'm scared of prison, I've been to the hospital twice(osteomyelitis and back problems), if I have to die(as we all will someday), I would rather be in my 80s or 90s when that happens instead of age 20(I'm 26 right now).

I looked at it as "there are good things in my life that I enjoy, and I don't want to lose them".
Prison's a dump. I would never lose the one life I have.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 PM

72,813 posts, read 62,121,069 times
Milwaukee Public Schools are bad for the same reason alot of public schools in other cities are bad. Times have changed, and not for the better. Discipline isn't enforced in alot of schools, parents aren't doing their job, and even some of the teachers aren't doing their job. Students also need to be held to a higher standard, from day one. It needs to be let know "You will do your homework, you will not hit teachers or other staff members, you will not bully other students. If you do not do your homework or strive for the best, you will not pass. If you assault another student or staff members, you will be suspended the first time you do it. If you get hit and you hit back, fine, but if you start a fight, you will be punished. Second time you do it, you get suspended longer". It is time to take the schools back. It is also time to look, not only to the students to do better, but also to the parents. The parents need to be held responsible too. This isn't just Milwaukee. The difference is that in Milwaukee, some of this is worse than in other cities. But it isn't just Milwaukee. And it isn't just inner city schools. I went to a suburban school(more like rural if you think about it). There were kids who misbehaved and caused problems. Sometimes discipline was enforced. Sometimes it wasn't. Alot of kids didn't do their homework and didn't really care.

It isn't just one thing or another. It is alot of things coming together at once.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
Prison's a dump. I would never lose the one life I have.
Prison is really just a warehouse for criminals these days. Alot of criminals who are there for a few years end up going back because they become institutionalized. If you run into some lifer(someone doing life in prison), that person has nothing to lose by killing another inmate. Getting killed in prison is a possibility.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Milwaukee Public Schools are bad for the same reason alot of public schools in other cities are bad. Times have changed, and not for the better. Discipline isn't enforced in alot of schools, parents aren't doing their job, and even some of the teachers aren't doing their job. Students also need to be held to a higher standard, from day one. It needs to be let know "You will do your homework, you will not hit teachers or other staff members, you will not bully other students. If you do not do your homework or strive for the best, you will not pass. If you assault another student or staff members, you will be suspended the first time you do it. If you get hit and you hit back, fine, but if you start a fight, you will be punished. Second time you do it, you get suspended longer". It is time to take the schools back. It is also time to look, not only to the students to do better, but also to the parents. The parents need to be held responsible too. This isn't just Milwaukee. The difference is that in Milwaukee, some of this is worse than in other cities. But it isn't just Milwaukee. And it isn't just inner city schools. I went to a suburban school(more like rural if you think about it). There were kids who misbehaved and caused problems. Sometimes discipline was enforced. Sometimes it wasn't. Alot of kids didn't do their homework and didn't really care.

It isn't just one thing or another. It is alot of things coming together at once.
Times change, so people change

Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Times change, so people change
With that in mind, it is time for people to change for the better. It isn't going to be a simple process though. It took alot to get into the state that MPS is in. It is going to take alot of work for things to get better.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
With that in mind, it is time for people to change for the better. It isn't going to be a simple process though. It took alot to get into the state that MPS is in. It is going to take alot of work for things to get better.
Does White Flight have anything to do with it?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Does White Flight have anything to do with it?
It's part of it, but it isn't the whole reason. Other cities have seen "white flight" and the schools aren't in the same state as Milwaukee Public Schools. Alot of schools are bad, but not all over them. Rufus King High School considered one of the best in MPS and in the state. Riverside is good as well. These schools have admission requirements.

Another part of this is that alot of middle class residents(of all races) left Milwaukee, and the middle class residents that stayed were the ones opting for private and parochial schools. Milwaukee also offered vouchers. Those persons who wanted out of Milwaukee Public Schools could get out. Some took it seriously, and some didn't. Respect for teachers has also gone out the window.

Milwaukee Public Schools has been subjected to a much more elevated version of what has happened in our society. Respect for teachers has gone out the window in other schools, but with other problems existing, such as crime, poverty, and parents not getting involved, it gets worse for Milwaukee.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Other cities have seen "white flight" and the schools aren't in the same state as Milwaukee Public Schools. Alot of schools are bad, but not all over them. Rufus King High School considered one of the best in MPS and in the state. Riverside is good as well. These schools have admission requirements.

Another part of this is that alot of middle class residents(of all races) left Milwaukee, and the middle class residents that stayed were the ones opting for private and parochial schools. Milwaukee also offered vouchers. Those persons who wanted out of Milwaukee Public Schools could get out. Some took it seriously, and some didn't. Respect for teachers has also gone out the window.

Milwaukee Public Schools has been subjected to a much more elevated version of what has happened in our society. Respect for teachers has gone out the window in other schools, but with other problems existing, such as crime, poverty, and parents not getting involved, it gets worse for Milwaukee.
Don't the middle class blacks go to Brown Deer? I do know the Latinos go to West Allis, West Milwaukee, and Waukesha. that's true. Chicago schools aren't in as bad of a state. and I do know voucher kids can go to Glendale, Shorewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee