Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,538 times

Advertisements

I've recently accepted an awesome job in the Sturtevant area, and am looking to live no more than 30 minutes commute from work. It will just be myself (28 yo male) and my girlfriend (23 yo female). No kids.

We're both fairly liberal, love art, food, being outside (both relaxing and being active), disc golf, enjoy some nightlife, but aren't really the club hopping type (that isn't to say never, just very rarely), and the overall cultural activities (interesting, non-big-box store shopping, music, etc.) that cities have to offer. She tends to love to garden herbs and veggies. We're also pet friendly. We currently only have 1 indoor cat, but are looking to get 2 dogs within the next couple of years.

She will likely work in the Milwaukee area, so a commute is bound to happen one way or another.

HALP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM

319 posts, read 664,858 times
South Milwaukee, Oak Creek, Franklin (quieter)

South Milwaukee is closest to the city

Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Bay View or Historic Walker's Point.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Any word about the relative safety, things to do, and cost of these neighborhoods? Really appreciate the help, guys!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,912 times
I'll have to 2nd Bay View. It's a city neighborhood that's relatively affordable for what you get. There are many restaurants & places to get drinks on the main streets, the more residential side streets are quieter. Generally you can walk to some things & definitely bike to much more there, plus you're close to Downtown & I-94 is the western border of the neighborhood.

Prices there can vary depending on if you're renting a house or apartment, even then there is variety on whether a place has been recently renovated or has a more historic feel. There don't tend to be larger apartment complexes so it's best to drive around a little & find apartments that way.

Good Luck.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 AM

319 posts, read 664,858 times
30 minute commute from Bay View is a tricky one

Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
30 minute commute from Bay View is a tricky one
With a reverse commute? Do you take your bike?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 AM

26 posts, read 42,358 times
Not to bring politics into it too much more but Sturtevant isn't exactly liberal...It's more on the conservative side so you may find that part difficult. If you want to be around people with your sense of normalcy, Bay View is the place...very liberal neighborhood and very fun at the same time. The commute from Bay View to Sturtevant really is not that bad. It's pretty much all freeway driving. Get a good old fashioned paper map out of Milwaukee and check out streets/neighborhoods from that and then make your searches from what you find on the map!

There is a website you can check out that compares cities... s p e r l in g s . c o m

I've been using that to get out of this state to Texas. It's helped narrow down things greatly.

Good luck

Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM

Definitely won't be living in Sturtevant. If we were to live close to the area, we would likely look at Racine. But I appreciate the reaffirmation concerning the town.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodo_Baggins View Post
Any word about the relative safety, things to do, and cost of these neighborhoods? Really appreciate the help, guys!
What Milwaukee City said above you - for the kind of social, cultural, and environmental (gardening) things you're looking for.

Bay View would be safer than Walkers Point though. But I think you'd probably like either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee