Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
A lot of people would consider no sidewalks a huge plus!

Why? They want to walk on the street and have their kids ride tricycles (etc) on the streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 01:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why? They want to walk on the street and have their kids ride tricycles (etc) on the streets?
Yes, exactly. We have 2 sidewalks here in Mequon. One on Mequon Rd and the other is both sides of Port Washington Rd. Hardly anyone uses those two streets for walking or biking. They use the bike trail or they just bike and walk on the streets. Not a big deal, cars slow down or move over as if you had the plague.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:34 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly. We have 2 sidewalks here in Mequon. One on Mequon Rd and the other is both sides of Port Washington Rd. Hardly anyone uses those two streets for walking or biking. They use the bike trail or they just bike and walk on the streets. Not a big deal, cars slow down or move over as if you had the plague.

Eh, I wouldn't want my kids on the streets no matter how much faith I had in cars slowing down.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:53 PM

68 posts, read 117,874 times
Quote:
To put it simply, Mequon has few places to walk to, so there's no need for sidewalks.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:39 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
No sidewalks = no snow to shovel. Plus Plus...

Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 PM

32 posts, read 52,984 times
I wonder where the OP wound up moving. This thread is 5 years old.

But someone was able to get their feelings about Germantown off of their chest. Lol

Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 12,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Eh, I wouldn't want my kids on the streets no matter how much faith I had in cars slowing down.

Agreed. I doubt there are many (if any) parents of toddlers and small children who are okay with kids walking, biking or crossing a busy street. No parent willingly exposes their kids to traffic. When they do, they do so uncomfortably and secretly wishing they had sidewalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwake View Post
To put it simply, Mequon has few places to walk to, so there's no need for sidewalks.
Right. Even if you could (physically) walk to somewhere in Mequon, there is nowhere worth walking to. I say it's not physically possible to walk Mequon because of it's sprawl. Do you know what Google Maps indicates as a "walk" from Thiensville to North Shore Marcus? An hour and a half. 4.6 miles. How about Ozaukee Country Club to Highland House? An hour and 27 min. 4.4 miles. It's not that people there don't walk because they lack sidewalks. Mequon is simply not a walkable city; therefore, has no need for sidewalks. No one uses the sidewalks on Mequon Rd or Port Washington Road because no one is walking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
No sidewalks = no snow to shovel. Plus Plus...
We realized Germantown had no sidewalks when we were evaluating communities, visiting open houses and requesting home showings. No sidewalks seemed cool before we had kids. I remember thinking, "Oh cool! No sidewalk means I don't have to bundle up and snowblow the driveway within 24 hours!!" How silly is that? To avoid sidewalks because I was too lazy to clear snow? I'm not sure how my mind made the quantum leap in figuring my driveway would clear itself -- while the sidewalks were the legitimate thorn in my side. You're not leaving your driveway anyway unless it's cleared, so why the heartburn over the extra 4 minutes it takes to clear the sidewalk?

Our home search took place before we had kids. In hindsight - even sans kids - sidewalks promote safety (for adults, children and pets), encourage walking, and result in barely any additional maintenance. Now that we have kids, we would never give them up. To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy2 View Post

But someone was able to get their feelings about Germantown off of their chest. Lol

LOL! We really, really didn't like it there. I'm sure there are lots of families doing their research right now. Hopefully the info I provided prevents at least one of them (who may be on the fence) from making the same mistake we did. It's certainly good enough for some families. These little details made it wrong for us. I personally think you have to experience it and live there to know. If you're moving in blind and unsure, all I can say is to look elsewhere first, based on our experience.

Last edited by Ozaukeean; 07-05-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 01:36 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Cederburg, Grafton, Mequon, Saukville (in any order) .. you really can't go wrong with any of them. They are like the upscale hub of the area with what has gone in there for amenities since I left especially. The lake in this area is very nice because of the bluff they have which makes walking the beach more private. I always liked that. Once you hit about Harrington beach the bluff ends and people don't like that you are walking through their backyards. (even though there's not much they can do about it) A ton of stuff has been built in Saukville/Grafton along the interstate since I left. If I didn't have a good job where I'm at I'd consider returning.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 PM

89 posts, read 116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy2 View Post

The city data contest has everyone digging up these old zombie threads in a dash for the CD cash.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaJoe View Post
The city data contest has everyone digging up these old zombie threads in a dash for the CD cash.
Yes and it's getting old and annoying. Some posters only seem to post wen their is a contest. I treat it like Harley fest...I get outta town for the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee