Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times

Advertisements

Nordstrom has officially posted to their new store openings list. on their website. In addition to this, here is a link to the article on the JS:

Nordstrom coming to Mayfair in 2015

Nordstrom (Full-line store) is supposed to open at Mayfair Mall in Fall of 2015 and a Nordstrom Rack at the new Mayfair Collection development in Spring 2014. This is great for the Greater Milwaukee area! A Rack store in the Pleasant Prairie area would be nice as well!

I have been to Mayfair, Bayshore, and Brookfield Square before. I think they are all solid malls. However, I am really surprised that given the demographics, Bayshore didn't land a Nordstrom, Saks, or any higher-end department store...I have been told that it was because of some stronghold that both Kohls and The Bon-Ton (Boston Store) have in the area. My friends in the north shore area have said that they will frequent Mayfair a lot more now when they shop because Nordstrom will be able to attract other high-end boutique stores.

What does everyone in the area feel about this? Here in NWI, we are still struggling to get any type of high-end offerings to our area. Good job for attracting this store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,075 times
First, I don't shop at either store. However, I can provide a small tidbit since you asked. One of several places I have lived perhaps would be of a small comparison for you. St. Louis has had a Nordstrom store for 11 years. When Nordstrom wanted to expand, the economy struggled and there were delays. A second store opened a few years ago, as did a nearby Nordstrom Rack, an a second Nordstrom Rack was added. As a strategy, Nordstrom physically positions its two types of stores in very close proximity to each other. That's what their customers seem to prefer. One is seemingly within a mall, and the other is right down the street, with its discounts. All of their stores do very well in that metro area. I believe one of each would do well in metro Milwaukee.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
I am very happy they are coming, now if we could get a Sak's, Lord & Taylor, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdale's or a Barney's. I don't think MKE could support all of these but at least 2 or 3 of them.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Nordstrom has officially posted to their new store openings list. on their website. In addition to this, here is a link to the article on the JS:

Nordstrom coming to Mayfair in 2015

Nordstrom (Full-line store) is supposed to open at Mayfair Mall in Fall of 2015 and a Nordstrom Rack at the new Mayfair Collection development in Spring 2014. This is great for the Greater Milwaukee area! A Rack store in the Pleasant Prairie area would be nice as well!

I have been to Mayfair, Bayshore, and Brookfield Square before. I think they are all solid malls. However, I am really surprised that given the demographics, Bayshore didn't land a Nordstrom, Saks, or any higher-end department store...I have been told that it was because of some stronghold that both Kohls and The Bon-Ton (Boston Store) have in the area. My friends in the north shore area have said that they will frequent Mayfair a lot more now when they shop because Nordstrom will be able to attract other high-end boutique stores.

What does everyone in the area feel about this? Here in NWI, we are still struggling to get any type of high-end offerings to our area. Good job for attracting this store!
Me, too! Mayfair has problems that seem to be the elephant in the room.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
The area can support it for sure.

Mayfair has no other option but to reinvent itself as an outdoor lifestyle center. Regional indoor malls are a dying concept, and the outdoor lifestyle centers attract a lot of shoppers (like more than 40%) who never shop at regional malls. Most of these shoppers don't want to deal with the typical regional mall headaches, such as miles-away parking, nasty food court smells, and packs of teenage marauders wandering around aimlessly.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Me, too! Mayfair has problems that seem to be the elephant in the room.
Not enough parking, is that what you're talking about?

Retailers take a location & draw a circle around it, then count the people living/visiting nearby to decide if a store is worthwhile to them. Much of that circle for Bayshore is literally underwater.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM

55 posts, read 197,690 times
Nordstroms and Saks are really a Penny's, but you pay three times more! (a psycological need within the bourgeois albeit bourgeoisie culture.) They HAVE to spend $700 for shoes or they meltdown . The shoes are made at a cost of $16.00 including mechandising ,promotion and handling. Those high end sunglasses are sold for $90 cost $3 to make . As I hinted if they don't cost $90 these materialistic little shebbas won't look at them. In fairness Nordstroms and saks have a nice feel and are beautiful store not withstanding Bloomingdale's and Lord and Taylor.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 17,195 times
It's about time Nordstrom is coming to Wisconsin! lol.

Anyways now it's time for a Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Neiman Marcus, or a Saks Fifth Avenue to come into the Wisconsin market. I don't think Bloomingdale's & Neiman Marcus would come to Wisconsin as of the closure of those two stores in Minneapolis last year, (Bloomingdale's @ Mall of America, and Neiman Marcus @ Downtown Minneapolis) but a Saks Fifth Avenue or a Lord & Taylor would do well in Wisconsin. Besides Saks Fifth Avenue already owns Boston Store.

On another note, a Macy's would probably do well at Brookfield Square Mall. Don't know if there's space available for a store over 150,000 square feet. If there would be plants to put one there, near the food court where those doors are near five guys would be a good spot

Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
Thumbs up Update

It has been about a year since this news and the progress is exciting. I was in Milwaukee last month and saw the progress being made at the Mayfair Collection. And now, Whole Foods is coming there in addition to the other retailers. Very good for the metro area!

Here is a link to the development: The Mayfair Collection

As far as the full-line Nordstrom store at Mayfair Mall, I know there have been some changes made to the plan here and there, but it is moving along nicely. Here is the most recent article I found on that development:

Nordstrom store design at Mayfair approved by Wauwatosa panel: Slideshow

I am very happy for the people who live in that area and hopefully you realize the awesome benefits of having more upscale development take place!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 AM

175 posts, read 257,048 times
Meijer's is coming to Milwaukee too! Watch out Wal Mart!!!

I agree with the comment that the high end stores are overpriced. However, the clothing is much better quality. I still think it's way overrated, but the clothing wears and washes better than what you get at JCP. I bought a pair of jeans at Bloomingdale's in Schaumberg and after many washings they still look and feel new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee