Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM

70 posts, read 210,220 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a greenhouse that rents extra space to community gardeners or for random people to start growing seedlings? The winters here are pretty long and the springs are too cool for starting some seeds outside. These are not too good of conditions for starting seedlings indoors without the proper equipment. We are working on building some ways to cover our raised beds with materials to create a greenhouse outside. In the meantime, just wondering if anyone knows a little spot I could use to start my seedlings for the summer.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
You can do it indoors and I don't think you need too much of equipment to do it, just make boxes out of wood, fill it with soil and place those boxes near windows. People in Russia do it all the time and they generally have much smaller apartments than Americans.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:38 AM

70 posts, read 210,220 times
Default Actually, not quite!

Thanks for your suggestion @brrabbit.

Unfortunately, this does not quite work as easily as you may think. The seedlings will grow, however they stretch to reach the sunlight and end up having very weak and thin bodies that cannot support maturity. The only case in which it truly works well is if you have a very well exposed south or west facing room that warms up (almost like a 3 seasons) from the sunlight.

Also, the only south facing windows I have are in the kitchen and in a bathroom with relatively high window sills from the ground. I could put the seedlings on a table instead of the floor which would get better exposure to the light. I have more than just a few seedlings that I would like to plant. Eventually, I will buy growing lights and install them in my basement with soil and all that stuff you mentioned. This just isn't an option now with fast approaching spring.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
You need to get some shop lights (T8s). The bluish-white spectrum they emit is excellent for raising stocky, healthy seedlings, and they are very inexpensive.
You may also want to enquire with the local university (U of W?) to see if they rent out greenhouse space. Mine does but the rates are very expensive.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 PM

8 posts, read 8,180 times
Use a fan to simulate air movement and blow the seedlings as they grow. That may help with the weak thin bodies of the plant as it will force the seedlings to grow a little thicker

Old 02-13-2015, 07:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Moderator cut: off topic
OP, I don't know of any community greenhouses that you can use however, you might try contacting Kellner Greenhouse or Growing Power, they may have some suggestions for you.

Last edited by Marka; 02-18-2015 at 11:43 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 09:43 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Hi BabyDoll, I think the game plan is not to grow your seedlings indoors until maturity, but to start them up indoors and then replant them outdoors somewhere in May, where weather is reasonably good and warm. My parents did it in much colder climate in 1br apartment and they did it for food (we always had our own vegetables, including cucumbers and tomatoes, never bought them). Many of our neighbours did it too. So, I know it works. But I don't truly know your needs, so I just throw ideas how it night be done on a cheap side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: