Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,582 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move to Milwaukee next month.I did look into couple of areas/Apts this weekend.I did like a couple of apartments near Timmerman airport,American colony near 32nd & layton and a few in Oak Creek. I work in downtown.Still being new and having a person guiding is through the city,I am not sure about the neighborhood.

I am thinking between Wauwatosa (near the airport) and Oak creek.Please be frank and advice anything I should know before I move.

thanks,
Tarina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM

60 posts, read 191,205 times
I live in O.C. and it is great for families and it is a quite town. Wauwatosa is ok for families but great for singles, a lot more going on over there. if you are single or don't have kids I don't think I would recommend O.C. to you, unless of course you think you would be making trips to Chicago, then it would make sense.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 PM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
Both of those places you are looking in (near Timmerman Field, Oak Creek) are very quiet, family-oriented places. They're both an easy drive into Downtown Milwaukee. If you are into shopping, you would want to stay in the apartments near Timmerman, as they are closer to Mayfair Mall, the metro area's premeir shopping destintation. If, like me, you could give a crap about shopping, then either will work for you.

If you're into outdoor activities like biking or running, then Oak Creek might be a good choice. Some of the most beautiful bike trails and parks in the area are located in Oak Creek and neighboring Franklin.

Good luck and welcome to Milwaukee!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarina2000 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to move to Milwaukee next month.I did look into couple of areas/Apts this weekend.I did like a couple of apartments near Timmerman airport,American colony near 32nd & layton and a few in Oak Creek. I work in downtown.Still being new and having a person guiding is through the city,I am not sure about the neighborhood.

I am thinking between Wauwatosa (near the airport) and Oak creek.Please be frank and advice anything I should know before I move.

thanks,
Tarina
Hi -

Welcome to the greater Milwaukee area!

Here are my thoughts on the three areas you mentioned:

-Near Timmerman Airport:

I would largely discourage this area for you. I grew up and spent a great deal of my youthful years in this area - it is beyond extremely familiar to me - however, it is an area that has gone downhill largely through the last ten years or so. There are some nice pockets in this area still, however, overall it is just an area that is now very sketchy in terms of crime and associated problems.

It pains me to say this, as I will always be a Milwaukee Northwest-sider at heart (areas around Silver Spring, Hampton, and Capitol Dr. and 60th through 124th Streets), however, right now, I just in clear conscience could not encourage people to live in the area; I wouldn't anymore. It would be one thing if you'd have had a house in the area for the last 20 years and had a nice pocket / neighborhood around you that suited you well, but if you are brand new to the area and have the whole metro to chose from, to me there would be little reason to move into the area. (And this coming from a guy who just 10 or 12 years ago was totally pumped up and proud to be living in an apartment off of 107th St. and Hampton and thought it was the greatest APT in the world!).

IF you really lean that way, I would strongly encourage you to spend a few evenings (meaning after sundown) walking and driving around the areas surrounding the apartment and seeing if you'd feel happy / comfortable.

-32nd and Layton:

Actually, of the three areas you mentioned, this would be my favorite location. I am not a huge personal fan of the Oak Creek/Cudahy area, and 32nd and Layton isn't terribly far away, but I actually drive this route every day coming home from work, and have to confess it isn't all that bad an area. It is a little more gritty and blue collar (not that there is anything wrong with that) than I would typically prefer, but it isn't all too bad and actually has some pretty nice ammenities around it. Plus, you are pretty darn close to Downtown (off of either I-894 to I-43 or I-794). Really close to the airport, if that is important to you, too.

-Oak Creek:

A few posters here (I believe polly is one) really like Oak Creek, a few others (admittedly myself) are not huge fans. This is - I guess - kind of a polarizing area! Some people really like it. To me, it still feels too much like eastern and central West Allis, Cudahy, South Milwaukee - very gritty, rough-around-the-edges, blue collar, tavern-atmosphered. Oak Creek actually has changed a bit, and I would take the OC (Wisconsin's OC...a little different than Cali's!) over eastern/central WA, Cudahy, and South Milwaukee.

I wouldn't personally live in Oak Creek, again, because it is just not my personality, but it is more affordable than many suburbs and isn't terribly far from Downtown and the lakefront.

Of these three, I would vote for the 32rd and Layton area, followed in a distance by Oak Creek, and a very, very far third for the Timmerman area. However, others would vote differently...it greatly depends on what you are looking for.

A few other areas you may wish to consider (that are economically priced for rentals):

-Areas of Milwaukee and Wauwatosa around the 70th through 90th and Bluemound / Wisconsin Ave. areas.

-Greendale (especially the older village portion that is south of 76th and Grange)...this isn't too far from 32rd and Layton

-Western portion of West Allis (I do not personally like much of West Allis but do like the portions west of 100th Street)

-St. Francis

-Wauwatosa (areas around either 110th - 120th and Bluemound / Wisconsin Avenue or areas along North Avenue WEST of 76th Street)

-Glendale (farther east the better)

All of these areas are a) pretty affordable, and b) pretty darn close to Downtown Milwaukee

Good luck!!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarina2000 View Post
Hi,

thanks,
Tarina

A little more about your background would be helpful and what you are seeking....also I almost missed this because it is in the "State" forum as opposed to Milwaukee forum....you are likely to get more responses in the subset Milwaukee forum.

Cheers.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:10 PM

80 posts, read 548,468 times
I'm just curious why if you will be working downtown you haven't considered living downtown or on the eastside?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
I'm just curious why if you will be working downtown you haven't considered living downtown or on the eastside?
The original poster will obviously be the best to answer this question, but I am assuming from the tone of her post it is because of expenses. The areas she is looking in: by Timmerman Field, Oak Creek, and 32nd and Layton - are all far more affordable than Downtown or the East Side.

I love Downtown and the East Side, but I know personally I wouldn't have the cash to live in either.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM

Well that's why I asked. First the perception that you can't afford downtown is well strange. Shoreline has many units at around $500-$600 right downtown. I have friends who are teachers and bartenders who can afford to live downtown. Further if you work downtown and have to commute you actually end up with additional costs. so anyhow that's why I was asking.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoaday View Post
Well that's why I asked. First the perception that you can't afford downtown is well strange. Shoreline has many units at around $500-$600 right downtown. I have friends who are teachers and bartenders who can afford to live downtown. Further if you work downtown and have to commute you actually end up with additional costs. so anyhow that's why I was asking.
Hmmm...that may be true (for renting purposes, Downtown being affordable)...I guess in my position, I have paid more attention to buying rather than renting, and obviously buying downtown / east side is very pricey.

I would guess still that you still - even for renting - get more for your $$ in areas other than Downtown, but perhaps I am wrong for that too, I will tell you that if I didn't have two little ones and was still in a renting rather than buying mode, I would love renting downtown.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Well more for you money in size? sure but in quality of life it's pretty hard to beat. Of course that's why I was curious as to Tarina2000s reasons...

PS Not big enough for a family but for a young professional you can get a 1 bedroom condo at the regency (on the lake, with a pool) for less then 200k so again I believe people need to just look before ruling out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee