Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,233 times

Advertisements

I been searching for houses online and found some really nice homes in a suburb called "Wauwatosa". How are the schools in Wauwatosa? Is Wawautosa racially diverse? How are the neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM

545 posts, read 1,476,078 times
I'm not totally familiar with the schools in Wauwatosa (Tosa), but I think they're generally regarded as average to above average. They definitely wouldn't be a concern for me if I was moving there. Tosa is majority white but does have some diversity, though it's not as diverse as some of the other close suburbs like Shorewood or Glendale. There are some very charming neighborhoods there. Most of the city is homes that were built before 1950, so it doesn't look suburban. There are some areas west of Mayfair Rd. (Hwy 100) that were built later and have more of a suburban feel if you prefer that. The city covers a large area, so there should be plenty of houses available. I personally like the areas along North Ave. between 76th and Mayfair Rd or north of Bluemound between 60th and Glenview (84th). Also check out the neighborhoods along the Menomonee Parkway east of Mayfair between Capitol and North.

Bottom line is that Tosa is definitely worth a look. What's your budget if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by brian571; 04-16-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,431,397 times
Glendale = 80.8% white, 14.6% black, 1.6% asian
Shorewood = 88.4% white, 5% asian, 1.8% black
Wauwatosa = 90.1% white, 4.7% black, 2.2% asian

Source: 2011 ACS 5-yr
American FactFinder - Results *

Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,233 times
Hi Brian, and thanks for your input on other suburbs in Milwaukee. My income is $64k per year. I work as an RN.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,575 times
I worked in Tosa for 8 years and currently live in Milwaukee 5 minutes from Tosa. If you are looking to live in a Milwaukee burb, you really can't go wrong choosing Tosa. It is an attractive, centrally located city with a very good school system - I would not worry about the schools at all. I would recommend looking on the east side of the city (east of Hwy 100) as that is the side of town that contains the best housing stock in terms of character, variety, and quality within charming, walkable neighborhoods - the west side is simply not as attractive, 1960's style (read: average to ugly architecture) and limited sidewalks. Diversity-wise Wauwatosa is not diverse - very white (primarily college educated; middle to upper-middle class). My suggestion, given your income and, at the risk of assuming, a preference for a more urban setting, is to look between Center St. to the north; Wells St. to the south; 60th St. to the east; and Wauwatosa Avenue on the west. Overall, Tosa is a fine choice and I think you will enjoy living there. (But, shameless Milwaukee plug, Washington Heights just across the Wauwatosa city limits is a great neighborhood and can always use another RN)

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM

545 posts, read 1,476,078 times
I would think you'd have no problem finding something in your price range in Tosa. There are some expensive areas to be sure, but most of the city is very affordable - a bargain if you ask me. Assuming you're going to be working at the Medical Center grounds (Froedtert or Children's), you're not going to find a better option nearby unless you go more suburban and expensive and head out to Elm Grove or Brookfield. I guess I thought Tosa was more diverse, but I wouldn't let that deter you. People around here are very friendly. Welcome to town and let us know how your home search goes!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 AM

8,275 posts, read 22,985,270 times
A lot of Milwaukee's inner ring suburbs are majority white however people always assume that if a city is 90% white that you will only encounter white people while living in that suburb. Wrong and far from the truth. People travel and most people don't live and shop within a mile of their house, visit any "Tosa" business and even Mayfair and you will notice the clientele to be very diverse, a city's demographics aren't really a indication of overall diversity of a city. You'll also notice in Tosa schools to be very diverse and not reflective of it's demographics either. I wouldn't look too much into diversity numbers, you really have to just spend some time in that city. Actually basically anywhere in Milwaukee County you will run into a lot of different cultures and nationalities due to the small area and large population base. Milwaukee County is the 12th most dense county in the nation right behind Nassau County which is on Long Island in New York.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM

458 posts, read 1,240,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
A lot of Milwaukee's inner ring suburbs are majority white however people always assume that if a city is 90% white that you will only encounter white people while living in that suburb. Wrong and far from the truth. People travel and most people don't live and shop within a mile of their house, visit any "Tosa" business and even Mayfair and you will notice the clientele to be very diverse, a city's demographics aren't really a indication of overall diversity of a city. You'll also notice in Tosa schools to be very diverse and not reflective of it's demographics either. I wouldn't look too much into diversity numbers, you really have to just spend some time in that city. Actually basically anywhere in Milwaukee County you will run into a lot of different cultures and nationalities due to the small area and large population base. Milwaukee County is the 12th most dense county in the nation right behind Nassau County which is on Long Island in New York.
This is very true. When I lived in Glendale near the Bayshore Mall, the area didn't "feel" 80% white. Felt like a pretty diverse area both racially and economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee