Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
However, I'd like to hear what it is I don't "secretly" know I can experience in NYC that I can't in Milwaukee or San Diego or Jackson, Mississippi?

So, my North Side nose tells me poverty sucks wherever it is and being broke in NYC is not "cool."
You're no fan of NYC... and that's fine.. but millions of others love it there.
They choose NYC over Milwaukee and a lot of other places.
So what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Is that what you got from his post? I couldn't even understand what the point of his multiple paragraphs of drivel was other than he wants to go live in UAE or Tijauana.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
This comparison is really apples and bowling balls, you cannot compare the two. Anyways $600 even in Milwaukee doesn't get you a nice place in a nice location so to show a photo like that makes it seem that you can get a $65,000 condo nice looking in a nice area which is false. You can only pick 2: Safe, Cheap, Convenient. If you want a nice 1 bedroom in a nice area even in MKE you have to pay 850+, now my definition of a nice area is a little different that most I have higher standards for nice. Whether you are in Sante Fe or the Twin Cities or even Cleveland, if you want a nice place in a nice area you're gonna have to pay. Milwaukee compared to any place south of E.96th St in Manhattan cannot be compared. Besides you said in NYC Metro, I bet you can find a lot bigger and better 1 bedroom places in NYC Metro, just go east more on LI.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:55 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
This comparison is really apples and bowling balls
Well said!!!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 PM

Let me add one last thing to this weird thread, many people in my experience from Chicago and Miami and California are shocked on how expensive housing and condos can be, I'm not saying that Milwaukee is in the top 20 of most expensive cities in the US. I am just saying I have heard a ton of times that Milwaukee is over priced by "coasties". I was once giving a tour of River Hills and Chenequa to a friend of mine moving from San Francisco to Milwaukee and he made the remark "I didn't think their were properties for sale over a Million in Milwaukee." as we drove by a house for sale for 6M. Our cost of living is still very cheap compared to SF, NYC and Chicago it's just that most people think it's cheaper than it is, and then when I mention Property taxes then they are even more shocked as my buddy who owns a condo downtown Chicago has lower property taxes than my aunt who owns a home in West Milwaukee which is home to the highest property taxes in the Milwaukee area.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
The rooms on that blog are not typical, which is why they're funny. They're not in rooming houses, by the way--just rooms in private apartments.

In general, a decent 1BR apartment in a safe, non-trendy neighborhood in New York's outer boroughs (i.e., not Manhattan) is $1200-$1500. A room in a shared apartment in that kind of neighborhood is $700-$900.

It's in Manhattan and in the trendy outer borough neighborhoods (like Williamsburg or Park Slope) that the rents get truly ridiculous--as in, well over $1,000 for a room, $2,500 and up for a good 1BR.

I grew up in the Milwaukee area and have lived in NYC for the last 10 years. I'll admit I'm jealous sometimes of the apartments my friends back in Milwaukee can afford!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
like Williamsburg
Speaking of I think the hipsters ruined that area what area is safe from those people anymore, it's like they all call each other and say Hey Bensonhurst can be cool let's go! and they're off.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
Quote:
Speaking of I think the hipsters ruined that area what area is safe from those people anymore, it's like they all call each other and say Hey Bensonhurst can be cool let's go! and they're off.
This is a dominant topic of conversation in the NYC forum. I don't know that they'll ever make it to Bensonhurst (I hope not).

Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
You're no fan of NYC... and that's fine.. but millions of others love it there.
They choose NYC over Milwaukee and a lot of other places.
So what?
What makes you think that?

I enjoyed my visits to NYC. They were no more spectacular than elsewhere in the United States.

That sounds "anti-NYC" doesn't it? Kind of like someone from England that has been to NYC and the USA but decided to live in Canada and views Canada as a better place to live.

What I tire of is hearing the NYC version of "USA is the greatest country on earth!"

And my original question had nothing to do with "NYC is the worst place on earth to live."

My question pertained to cost of renting, the fact NYC can not give jobs to all 300 Americans (otherwise riddle to me how NYC has both poor and homeless people?), and as to why the leaders of Milwaukee are not marketing the city to college grads in NYC that are damn near broke in that city?

I used to box--not to mention I was in the military at onetime--so let me explain it in terms of what I was taught about fighting in the ring (or on battle fields for that matter). If your opponent is much taller than you close the distance. Likewise, if you are much taller than your opponent keep distance between you two. Never was I taught: never fight, just surrender, just give up.

Last I checked America was supposed to be built on competition. My questioned pertained to maximizing a current advantage Milwaukee has and exploiting a current weakness it's competitor had.

I don't care for meaningless platitudes. Which is what every single response about NYC is.

I can just imagine me answering one of my science professors over a question as to why or how humans are superior to chimpanzees with an empty platitude of: Because humans are taller and everyone knows we are better and smarter.

Better how? Smarter how? Why is taller necessarily an indication of superiority? You get your statements challenged like this in the sciences. In poetry and creative writing no one ever challenges them. And I say that as one that appreciates the liberal arts.

However, my minor, novice, background in science has beaten into me to seek to be more specific and precise. I can't just claim Milwaukee is superior to either NYC or Tijuana I must give compelling and persuasive reasons why.

I make a little over $1,000 a month on VA pension right now. Riddle me how someone like me living in NYC has more to do than living in Milwaukee? Don't give me empty platitudes. My rent in Milwaukee for a one bedroom apartment, heat included, with semi-open kitchen concept, relatively modern, but not in the best of areas, but centrally located, costs me $579 a month. Numbers don't lie. And I've seen plenty of homes in inner-city Milwaukee infested with roaches. I mean infested. In fact I briefly lived in a place in Las Vegas years ago that had a problem with roaches. I don't like them. I don't like rats. One can try to sell me poverty in NYC like one tries to advertise smoking X brand of cigarettes leads to a long, healthy, youthful looking life with beautiful women and tons of money. It's a hustle.

Though it is telling no one regarded my comment about Tijuana as "anti-Milwaukee." When in fact the best time I ever had was not in Milwaukee but in Tijuana.

That towns is so crazy in its night clubs you can have "popper" wars with women you don't even know. All you do is point to a woman--any woman--and pay the guy bring your drinks money, and he'll come up behind her and toss tequila down her throat and shake her head. You can do it to your friends too. This was at all the clubs. It makes a night in NYC look like your conception of Milwaukee.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,488 times
Quote:
This comparison is really apples and bowling balls, you cannot compare the two.
And I can't logically compare a cramped space to live in in NYC for $1,000 a month to a 1 bedroom of 500 sq. ft. in say.... Northern Florida because why? A mathematician would be crazy to do so? I know theologians are into dogmas but I don't subscribe to any dogma about NYC. Sorry, I don't. I don't do it for Milwaukee, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, or the USA either.

Let me guess... if I buy a Mercedes I'll be much more cool than if I buy a Hyundai Equus? That's unquestionable dogma right? Just like it's just more fun in NYC even if you're homeless or have AIDS. At least you're a New Yorker and Catholic therefore saved. Although some Muslims in the Middle East might object. I was raised Catholic by the way. I'm still trying to figure out how there are so many Protestants and Muslims and atheists when clearly Catholicism and the beauty of Vatican City trumps everything else. But so it is with NYC right?

I was not comparing Milwaukee to NYC in terms of Milwaukee being a financial center. According to a class I took on finance and banking Milwaukee is not. NYC is and Chicago is a minor one. But what the h__ that has to do with plumbers or cops or chiropractors working in Wisconsin or Kentucky I have no idea. Oh, I know, I need to listen to someone that got a degree from MIAD about being unemployed in Milwaukee rather than to the surgeon in Milwaukee making big bucks that worked on my collapsed lung. Because my brother graduating with an advanced degree from UW-Milwaukee in fine arts and unemployed translates into NYC being the only place one can earn money in the United States of America.

I was comparing cost of rent and housing between the two. I don't think a mathematician would say such a comparison is illogical.

Quote:
Anyways $600 even in Milwaukee doesn't get you a nice place in a nice location so to show a photo like that makes it seem that you can get a $65,000 condo nice looking in a nice area which is false.
So, the cost of living and housing in London, Tokyo, and NYC are basically the same as in Milwaukee?

Wonder why I keep hearing differently.

Quote:
You can only pick 2: Safe, Cheap, Convenient. If you want a nice 1 bedroom in a nice area even in MKE you have to pay 850+, now my definition of a nice area is a little different that most I have higher standards for nice. Whether you are in Sante Fe or the Twin Cities or even Cleveland, if you want a nice place in a nice area you're gonna have to pay. Milwaukee compared to any place south of E.96th St in Manhattan cannot be compared. Besides you said in NYC Metro, I bet you can find a lot bigger and better 1 bedroom places in NYC Metro, just go east more on LI.
I'm not going to state where my apartment is located (it's not where I'm typing from) nor show the website of the company that operates it. I'll keep that too myself. But you are right, it's not in the best area, and it's not on the East Side where I'd prefer to stay, but the rents are usually much higher on the East Side for the equivalent quality of the apartment I have.

But I'll show some images of an apartment in Phoenix, Arizona (which I've been considering relocating to because I can get a nice looking 2 bedroom down there for what I'm paying here in Milwaukee for).

I pay $579 a month for a 1 bedroom that is about 550 sq. ft. Heat included (have to have that because I hate the cold).

San Marina Apartments For Rent in Phoenix, Arizona - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

1 bedroom from $459

Quote:
1 Bed 1 Bath 1 1 $459 600ft²
Actual photos of the apartment can be seen in the links above.

And yes... if I could afford it I'd rather live in Qatar or the UAE than in the United States of America. You all can thump your chests all you want about "USA! USA! USA! The United States is the greatest country in the world!" And all it's NYC equivalents can o the same about NYC claiming dogmatically, "You can't compare the cost of living in NYC to Milwaukee."

Yes I dared. And I dare question your sacred dogmas that only in NYC can you have a good time. Call me a heretic. I give d__ not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee