Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,524 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.. First off, I apologize if I made a repetitive thread--just didn't want to step on anyone's toes and I am new to this site.

I am 22-years-old (well actually, just turned 23 today) and recently raduated from college on May 5th and moved to Milwaukee last week for my job. I am currently in temporary housing in Wauwatosa until my lease starts for my apartment downtown the second week of June.

I was born and raised in Cincinnati and attended Ohio State in Columbus. Basically, I'm looking for advice on living in the city.

I like to go out and have a good time on weekends (which spots/bars downtown to hit), I love sports and still play basketball recreational, I workout regularly, and I want to be able to meet some new people since I only know 1 person in all of Milwaukee.

Other than that, what are some must-go-to restaurants downtown and other spots to hit (haircuts, etc).

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:58 PM

156 posts, read 351,276 times
I would recommend OnMilwaukee.com as a good resource on all the things someone your age might be interested in in your time here.

My advice based on my experience moving around when I was younger would be to join as many groups, clubs, volunteer causes as you can. Of course you can meet people at work, but broadening your social network makes a big difference in transitioning to a new town.

I lived in Columbus for three years, it's a great town. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
http://newaukee.com/

Whether you just moved to town or you have lived here all your life – we invite you to explore Milwaukee with NEWaukee. This group of dedicated and energetic young professionals loves this city, its people and strives to make it a better place for all of us to live, work and play.
With NEWaukee you’ll discover the hidden gems Milwaukee holds, realize your passion for its lifestyle and that now, unlike any other time in this city’s history, is the time when the young people of Milwaukee have the power to change it for the better.
NEWaukee is a movement of young professionals that call this place home, are building their legacy, and leaving their mark on Milwaukee – right now. So are you ready – to Make Milwaukee Yours?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy22 View Post
I was born and raised in Cincinnati and attended Ohio State in Columbus. Basically, I'm looking for advice on living in the city.

I like to go out and have a good time on weekends (which spots/bars downtown to hit), I love sports and still play basketball recreational, I workout regularly, and I want to be able to meet some new people since I only know 1 person in all of Milwaukee.

Other than that, what are some must-go-to restaurants downtown and other spots to hit (haircuts, etc).
Ralph gave you the best answer - OnMilwaukee.com will give you just about everything you need on the restaurants in the area. You will find that in general, you will find a greater variety of restaurants and generally better quality in Milwaukee than in Cincinnati. One strength that I am discovering is that there are some great Mexican and Latin American restaurants. The German restaurants are very similar to the ones that Cincinnati USED to have.

Also, remember that you are a one hour train ride into Chicago. For what goes on food wise in Chicago, LTHforum.com covers Chicago extensively.

Culturally, you will find Milwaukee similar to Cincinnati. You should have no problems making a lot of friends. Living downtown will provide you with access to a lot of young folks. Occasionally, you will encounter "Wisconsin nice" but that can generally be avoided with a little courtesy.

You will also find the climate to a lot colder than Cincinnati. Cold does NOT keep people from having a great time in the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee