Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 AM

448 posts, read 1,816,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
You really think the invisible mayor represents the views of all, or even most Milwaukeeans? The only thing he represents is an old boys network that has held its influence over local politics long past its relevancy on account of achieving levels of corruption that would make a 1920s Chicago ward boss blush with envy. Why do you think so many of our Aldermen end up in jail?

Believe me, there are plenty of groups in Milwaukee that want actual progressive leadership in this city, but bitterness and petty in-fighting (largely caused by the local political establishment's apathy, not-so-surprisingly) has thus far prevented them from organizing themselves into a coalition that could force some actual change.
Bah, any mayor in any city has to weigh interests of many organizations and players. To say that Milwaukee politicians are more corrupt than the national average is to be blind to the realities.

Look at the money that flowed in November to any candidate that said they were fiscal conservatives. That was the greatest amount of money ever in all of history to be funneled into campaigns. When that much money flows during a huge recession, corruption is at the root. Who was the beneficiary of the most money in Wisconsin? Who was elected Governor? If you want to find corruption all you have to do is follow the money trail and see where it leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 PM

50 posts, read 168,739 times
Will Milwaukee ever get over its "inferiority complex"?

Let me answer that by saying "As soon as we get a mayor that cares about this city and it's people."

WI. is on the right track with Scott Walker our new Governor now we need to fix the Mayor problem in Milwaukee.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 PM

711 posts, read 1,685,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderwaukee View Post
Will Milwaukee ever get over its "inferiority complex"?

Let me answer that by saying "As soon as we get a mayor that cares about this city and it's people."

WI. is on the right track with Scott Walker our new Governor now we need to fix the Mayor problem in Milwaukee.
Walker will be one term and done. He doesn't have a county board to blame for getting nothing done anymore... just keep watching.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:27 PM

448 posts, read 1,816,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderwaukee View Post
Hilarious that you use train lingo when referring to Walker.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM

280 posts, read 646,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Bah, any mayor in any city has to weigh interests of many organizations and players. To say that Milwaukee politicians are more corrupt than the national average is to be blind to the realities.

Look at the money that flowed in November to any candidate that said they were fiscal conservatives. That was the greatest amount of money ever in all of history to be funneled into campaigns. When that much money flows during a huge recession, corruption is at the root. Who was the beneficiary of the most money in Wisconsin? Who was elected Governor? If you want to find corruption all you have to do is follow the money trail and see where it leads.
So because Scott Walker is more obviously and shamelessly corrupt, that absolves Barrett of being a completely ineffective sham of a mayor? "Blind to the realities" is a better description of anyone who'd deny that there's a generational stranglehold on leadership in this city. Anyone whose not white and over 50 may as well not even exist to our local politicians.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
Default Not w/o classical music

Not until the city gets a classical music station. No city is a real city of any significance if it doesn't have at least one classical music station, playing classical music 24/7 on FM radio.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,837,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Not until the city gets a classical music station. No city is a real city of any significance if it doesn't have at least one classical music station, playing classical music 24/7 on FM radio.
I get here and I hook up the 'ol bunny ears to the tv 'till the cable gets hooked up, and whadya know, there's actually broadcast stations devoted to classical and jazz music. Sorry if I sound a little surprised by that. We just got our first digital TV (finally), having put it off long enough.
I think there's a couple of jazz stations on FM as well. I haven't checked all the radio yet, but I imagine with it's proximity to other large cities, surely some sort of classical music can be found on there.
Good classical stations are too hard to come by.

So anyway, Milwaukee seems like a great town. Like a lot of mid-size, midwestern cities, it probably does get down on itself too much.
Not sure why that is. Weather perhaps? I don't know.
This is my 7th state to live in, and all places have some sort of weather or natural-disaster issues to deal with. Florida huricanes, California earthquakes and mudslides, year-round tornados and other-wordly humidity in the southeast, troublesome water issues and skin cancer in the southwest... you have to adapt no matter what.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I get here and I hook up the 'ol bunny ears to the tv 'till the cable gets hooked up, and whadya know, there's actually broadcast stations devoted to classical and jazz music. Sorry if I sound a little surprised by that. We just got our first digital TV (finally), having put it off long enough.
I think there's a couple of jazz stations on FM as well. I haven't checked all the radio yet, but I imagine with it's proximity to other large cities, surely some sort of classical music can be found on there.
Good classical stations are too hard to come by.

So anyway, Milwaukee seems like a great town. Like a lot of mid-size, midwestern cities, it probably does get down on itself too much.
Not sure why that is. Weather perhaps? I don't know.
This is my 7th state to live in, and all places have some sort of weather or natural-disaster issues to deal with. Florida huricanes, California earthquakes and mudslides, year-round tornados and other-wordly humidity in the southeast, troublesome water issues and skin cancer in the southwest... you have to adapt no matter what.
Good classical stations are not hard to come by because they're ALL good. The problem with Milwaukee is that there is no FM station dedicated to this great music like I said. Without it, Milwaukee is no better than Podunk.

This music should be clear and easily accessible to all on FM like it was many years ago when I lived there (80s). I was just there in Aug and there was nothing.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:34 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,837,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Good classical stations are not hard to come by because they're ALL good. The problem with Milwaukee is that there is no FM station dedicated to this great music like I said. Without it, Milwaukee is no better than Podunk.

This music should be clear and easily accessible to all on FM like it was many years ago when I lived there (80s). I was just there in Aug and there was nothing.
I just meant that not every place has it anymore. The last few places I've lived, you only catch it on NPR during certain times of day.... usually when most people aren't likely to be listening to the radio.

I'm thankful for TuneIn radio and Pandora on the Blackberry. Hook it up in the car, and it's almost like listening to regular broadcast save for the occasional weird digital glitch.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:22 PM

174 posts, read 523,157 times
I don't think Milwaukee lives under Chicago's shadow at all. Chicago culture ends at the border, and from what I've seen, Milwaukee has their own culture. They love to compete with Chicago, especially in baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee