Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 PM

413 posts, read 789,725 times

Advertisements

This is a hypothetical question inspired by the numerous threads where posters considering relocating to Milwaukee are steered toward the same handful of Eastside neighborhoods and suburbs.

Hypothetically, if you had to live west of the river, which neighborhood would you live in and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
This is a hypothetical question inspired by the numerous threads where posters considering relocating to Milwaukee are steered toward the same handful of Eastside neighborhoods and suburbs.

Hypothetically, if you had to live west of the river, which neighborhood would you live in and why?
So does this just include north side neighborhoods or can we choose anything west of KK river as well? but I do know what you mean, everyone recommends, the east side, bay view, Walkers Point and Riverwest.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
West of KK river is fine

Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
On the south side I really like the Jackson Park neighborhood west of the Park and North of Cleveland right on the parkway. Very nice homes and nice area.

I also like Goldman Park and anything within a block or two of South 20th St from Layton south to College. 20th st is a tree lined blvd with mature trees.

On the North side of 94 I like pretty much everything west of 41 to Cannon Park or 95th St. Cooper Park is a nice area and I really like Story Hill, Washington Heights is nice as well. If you can afford if Heritage Heights is really nice too.

But if I had to choose one area to live in west of the KK and Milwaukee River I think I would choose Story Hill facing the Parkway, excellent central location to any freeway and shopping to the east or west is a quick ride. Also being a huge Brewer fan being able to walk to the park pretty much seals the deal for me.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=story...gl=us&t=h&z=19

While this map show Story Hill as going north of Bluemound I wouldn't live north of Bluemound, the housing stock changes and doesn't look as nice as the area of southern Story Hill.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:11 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Milwaukee City says it well, but I thought I'd give an extra shout out for Washington Heights. Gorgeous area, nice homes at relatively affordable prices, and somewhat under-the-radar indie retail districts like Vliet St.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 PM

156 posts, read 351,321 times
Washington Heights & Story Hill get my vote. Also Grant Blvd and 51st Blvd in Sherman Park.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Fifth ward, Third ward (if any of it is west of the river), Downtown, Brewer's Hill, Riverwest, not necessarily in that order. I like being close to the lake so those are my go to areas.

Since most of the "junior 1-post member relocation questions" are hypothetical at best, and include basically the same questions, it kind of makes sense that most people would give basically the same answers.

In forum land, it's very common for forum owners to hire shills who start user accounts and run up numbers so that the site's participation figures look better. vBulletin's admin forums have discussions about the strategies to allow multiple user IDs from the same people, to facilitate this type of thing without setting off alarm bells or getting people banned because of the multiple user account restrictions, so it's not an uncommon strategy. Now, I'm not saying that THIS SITE does it for certain, but given the amazing similarity of a lot of the first-time (and often one-time) posters, right down to the writing style and the inclusion of some unnecessary but argument-starting content...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Brewer's Hill

Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
I can't imagine living anywhere other than the east side or Riverwest. Perhaps downtown but other than that, no thank you.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:00 PM

280 posts, read 648,242 times
Well, I live in Riverwest, so I guess that answers that.

But as someone who grew up on the western side of town, I've always seen Riverwest as having more in common with the Eastside than the Northside. I would imagine that wasn't so much the case before Brady Street gentrified and forced most of its lower-income residents west, but that's been the case at least since I was a teenager and first became acquainted with the area.

I would say that the real "line" between east and west (and north and south) is now the freeway, not the river. The Upper East, Brady, Riverwest, Eastown, Third Ward, Walker's Point, Bay View, Lakefront, and MAYBE Brewer's Hill all have more in common with each other than they have with the North or South sides.

That said, I'd say Washington Heights is a wonderful neighborhood by any standards... great houses, mom & pop restaurants, independent retail, authentic art deco movie theaters (I love hanging out in WH when I go to the Times Cinema), and Mayfair Road is just a short scoot away when you absolutely must go that route for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Now, I'm not saying that THIS SITE does it for certain, but given the amazing similarity of a lot of the first-time (and often one-time) posters, right down to the writing style and the inclusion of some unnecessary but argument-starting content...
I've started to notice this as well. But this could be a good discussion if people can avoid making presumptive and disrespectful remarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee