Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,991,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Thanks for the information everyone. I don't think I'm going to get a set of winter tires mounted on a separate set of wheel because I am 95% most likely going to be leaving WI and 90% going to be leaving the upper midwest by next May. But from the sounds of it, I should go ahead and get all season for my WRX which would be useful no matter where I end up.
if you go the A/S route, if your summer tread is in good shape put them up on craig's list up there.... an area tuner kid (sorry, being 51 means everyone else is a kid lol) may have use of them and it'll help on the coin paid for the new rubber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
Quote:
I got a new subaru with AWD several months ago and it came with summer tires. My previous car was an accord with all season tires and did OK in the snow. Anyone have any opinion if it's beter to get a new set of tires?

I drive about 50 miles every day on I-94 from downtown to hartland for work.
I find that odd or funny, I haven't heard of summer tires since about 1966. Aren't most tires on vehicles nowadays called or have a M&S rating, that is all season radials?

Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I find that odd or funny, I haven't heard of summer tires since about 1966. Aren't most tires on vehicles nowadays called or have a M&S rating, that is all season radials?
actually when we first moved down to SC we talked to neighbors who had to replace the tires on their cars to get all season to help out in the heavier summer rains. And it wasnt just the mustang gt owners who bought something that did have "summer" tires on it.
I will say the couple cars we've bought down here (even an s2000) had all season on them, cant say how far past "performance cars" the reach of summer tires actually stretches.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:34 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,650,674 times
Quote:
You might find it odd or funny, but they still exist.
These are the factory standard tires on my car. Dunlop SP Sport 01(Ultra High Performance Summer)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You might find it odd or funny, but they still exist.
These are the factory standard tires on my car. Dunlop SP Sport 01(Ultra High Performance Summer)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model
Ya, those would great with a blizzard of 2 inches of snow, wouldn't they?
Okay, I see what you folks mean by summer tires now.

Which brings me to think about trying to purchase tires for me Chevy Express Van. I live S of Milw., lot of lake effect snow. On a recent trip to a local tire dealer, he tried to sell me these
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....ptimo-H727.jpg

I was like, what am I supposed to do with those in six inches of snow?

I ended up buying General Grabbers.
More of an aggressive tread pattern.
http://www.carid.com/images/general-...rabber-at2.jpg

But a noisy tire too, sort of a trade off. I'd like the Hankooks for summer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
actually when we first moved down to SC we talked to neighbors who had to replace the tires on their cars to get all season to help out in the heavier summer rains. And it wasnt just the mustang gt owners who bought something that did have "summer" tires on it.
I will say the couple cars we've bought down here (even an s2000) had all season on them, cant say how far past "performance cars" the reach of summer tires actually stretches.
Oh my. In my travels, not sure if I were in North or South Carolina, but it snowed, and cars were spun out everywhere. Makes you really appreciate whatever tread you have on any tire.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Oh my. In my travels, not sure if I were in North or South Carolina, but it snowed, and cars were spun out everywhere. Makes you really appreciate whatever tread you have on any tire.
well part of the spun-out issue is tires and part is education (ie lack of practice). I never had an accident in 30+ yrs of WI winter driving, and others have "more then 1" lol. I can understand when a southern local who has no experience in snow (many winters here we get no flurries) has trouble. But what about all the transplants from the midwest and NE now living here who grew up on snow? What's their excuse??
LOL

Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
well part of the spun-out issue is tires and part is education (ie lack of practice). I never had an accident in 30+ yrs of WI winter driving, and others have "more then 1" lol. I can understand when a southern local who has no experience in snow (many winters here we get no flurries) has trouble. But what about all the transplants from the midwest and NE now living here who grew up on snow? What's their excuse??
LOL
Well, even here in Wisconsin, the very first snowfall, some people are driving like they're on egg shells, and the others are whizzing past the crawlers, hardly ever see anything or sanity in between. Usually takes 2 or 3 snowfalls for people to get back into the groove, I have no idea why either.

I've not had any chargeable accidents either, but, every time I drive, I expect something to happen, call me a believer of playing the odds.

The trick to winter driving is having the ability to see far ahead, pace yourself-speed wise, and don't think you can't slip n slide. I've seen people w/ 4 WD's driving fast thinking they can handle it or their vehicle can handle it, when they do about as poorly as a 2 WD on snow and ice. Following too closely always means extra trouble.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 AM

283 posts, read 432,686 times
This is a really great thread, and thank you for the OP for posting this question as I was wondering the same thing.

I haven't bought a Subaru yet, but my thinking is that brand will be the best way to go as they were some of the only cars on the road when it dumped snow in Alabama. Want to sell me yours?

Besides the wear of winter tires if you use them during the summer, any other real drawbacks? I usually wore out tires in 6 months anyways, so I always looked at tires as a frequent wear item. I'd rather just keep something mounted and know it inside-out.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
If you want to be convinced there are plenty of Youtube videos showing side by side comparisons of the performance characteristics of Dedicated snow tires vs All season tires.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM

283 posts, read 432,686 times
After seeing the drivers downtown today at around 8am slipping and sliding while I was waiting to make a turn, I would not get anything less than full-out snow tires--it's the only way you're going to be able to move out of the way when someone loses control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee