Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times

Advertisements

For sushi in the Milwaukee area, you have a lot of places to try out:

Izumi's
Fushimi
Kanpai
Kiku
Sake Tumi
Umami Moto
Screaming Tuna
Koi

In the burbs:

Fujiyama
Samurai
Japanica
Ginza
Kyoto
Nana Asian Fusion
Midori

There are a few other places, too, including some Chinese and Thai places that do sushi. I haven't been to a lot of the places listed, but I've enjoyed the sushi at Izumi's, Kiku, and Fujiyama. Pretty soon I plan to try Sake Tumi, thanks to a groupon. I haven't been to Kanpai yet, but it sits in the space formerly occupied by Nanakusa, which was my favorite sushi place in Milwaukee. Supermarket sushi is adequate in a pinch, but it just isn't on the level of the better restaurants. Just try out as many places as you can until you find a couple that do it the way you like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM

283 posts, read 434,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iburytheliving View Post
Yes! Now this is more like it.
Quote:
Plus on Sun they have SIN deals, and many rolls are 50% off.
I know where me and wife will be 'driving by' on Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
Metro Mart sushi is half a step above gas station sushi.

I'm going to try screaming tuna.
Yeah, that's what I was figuring too. I've never had a grocery store sushi I was really crazy for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
For sushi in the Milwaukee area, you have a lot of places to try out:

Izumi's
Fushimi
Kanpai
Kiku
Sake Tumi
Umami Moto
Screaming Tuna
Koi

In the burbs:

Fujiyama
Samurai
Japanica
Ginza
Kyoto
Nana Asian Fusion
Midori

There are a few other places, too, including some Chinese and Thai places that do sushi. I haven't been to a lot of the places listed, but I've enjoyed the sushi at Izumi's, Kiku, and Fujiyama. Pretty soon I plan to try Sake Tumi, thanks to a groupon. I haven't been to Kanpai yet, but it sits in the space formerly occupied by Nanakusa, which was my favorite sushi place in Milwaukee. Supermarket sushi is adequate in a pinch, but it just isn't on the level of the better restaurants. Just try out as many places as you can until you find a couple that do it the way you like it.
Thank you for such a complete list! We definitely have some places to try.

I drove by a place called Osaka the other day. That's on my list to try as well. Seems like they should be pretty good based on the yelp reviews.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM

158 posts, read 660,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Yes! Now this is more like it.
I know where me and wife will be 'driving by' on Sunday.
Yeah buddy, you'll like if for sure.

And since your new and getting to know the city... If you enjoy a nightcap, after your sushi, head right across the street (not exactly, but just a few blocks) and grab a drink at Lucky Joe's Tiki Room. Just a fun cool place.

Lucky Joe's Tiki Room | Downtown MIlwaukee, WI | Tiki Bar and Cocktail Lounge

Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:

And since your new and getting to know the city... If you enjoy a nightcap, after your sushi, head right across the street (not exactly, but just a few blocks) and grab a drink at Lucky Joe's Tiki Room. Just a fun cool place.

I suggest The Foundation for tiki ambiance. The drinks range from $8-around $12 & damn they'll get you effed up. Love rum drinks. I was just there Friday night.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM

158 posts, read 660,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I suggest The Foundation for tiki ambiance. The drinks range from $8-around $12 & damn they'll get you effed up. Love rum drinks. I was just there Friday night.
Foundation is awesome and will always be the #1 tiki...I suggested Lucky Joe's since it's just right across the road.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm not a drinker (not more than a sip to taste), but my wife can enjoy some wine. Although a tiki hangout seems more my style than hers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It's interesting that there's so many tiki bars! Man this city has a lot of cool things! Can't wait to get out and explore them all.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Foundation is awesome and will always be the #1 tiki...I suggested Lucky Joe's since it's just right across the road.
Ah, gotcha.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 AM

So I think I've found a really great sushi place right near by us--It's called Osaka and is off Farwell near North. We've been there twice and it's been pretty good both times.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:23 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Thanks for the heads up, Samir. There used to be a place called Ichiban in that spot, but it closed up after many years. I'm glad to hear Osaka is a worthy replacement; I'll be sure to try it soon.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:13 AM

You're welcome. The reviews I found online were mixed, so I wasn't expecting much. But I was pkeasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee