Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 PM

371 posts, read 886,447 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have to admit that I'm a little anxious that we will now have to find a mechanic to do our emissions testing. I don't like the idea. I don't trust them not to do something to your car in order to make a new client out of you. Is this a concern that anyone else has? Have you gone through the new process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM

156 posts, read 351,087 times
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I was more concerned with the loss of inconvenience of not having a drive-thru facility dedicated to the test.

JSOnline had an article regarding your concern a day or two ago.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Shinners View Post
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I was more concerned with the loss of inconvenience of not having a drive-thru facility dedicated to the test.

JSOnline had an article regarding your concern a day or two ago.
There is more holes in that story than a bucket of Swiss cheese. I am not concerned at all, emissions testing by itself is a scam seeing how if your car is older than 1998 or 1999 you don't need a emissions test, yeah because that makes sense. Emissions testing is just yet another regulation that we do not need.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM

156 posts, read 351,087 times
Yeah I agree the story did not actually establish that this is a problem, it was just people kind of voicing the same concern.

I just hope it is not a hassle, those drive through facilities worked pretty smoothly.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
I don't know about emissions testing here, but in other states that have safety inspections, they're usually done at independent repair shops who are regulated as to what they can charge, how long it can take, etc.
Stuff like this is often considered a hassle by repair shops. I think they sign onto it for a little extra visibility and recognition. Money maker it is not. If you're suspicious, you can always walk away and get a second opinion on any repairs that might be needed.
After going through the emissions test process 4 times already in the former state-run thingys, I must say it is a cruel joke on Wisconsin residents.
I'm all for clean air, but the testing they do here does very little if anything to improve air quality.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
, I must say it is a cruel joke on Wisconsin residents.
I'm all for clean air, but the testing they do here does very little if anything to improve air quality.
Agreed, the EPA testing site for all of south eastern WI is in kenosha ahem Chicago/Gary. So all of our ozone action days and our clean air warnings are based upon this station which is located right next to Chicago. I wish I could find the report that shows "dirty air" that moves up from Chicago/Gary all the way up to door county and affects their air quality. I don't know if it's true or not but the report and news article also stated that just a few miles inland it's a lot cleaner air and that the kenosha reporting station is right near the lake. The article also stated that when we do set off ozone action days we just barley set off the warning and that we are not going way over the unacceptable line. I bet if this testing station was out in Waukesha or Oconomowoc or even Brookfield we probably wouldn't set any ozone action days. I think they are all BS anyways and I never pay attentions to them and I agree emissions test would help any ways if I did believe it. I once failed a emissions test because my gas cap didn't screw on tight enough, believe me it closed real good but the monitor said it was unacceptable so all I had to do was buy a gas cap. Now you mean to tell me that my gas cap that wasn't even lose as it didn't even budge and you had to crank real hard just to get it back open again, that my gas cap is a pollution problem? I don't believe it. It was feel good legislation when it was passed and doesn't do anything to address the problem of clean air.

I can't stand politicians that pass legislation that they think fixes the problem but doesn't even come close to fixing or helping the problem. As a fisherman in Lake Michigan who takes fish out to eat I would love it if they did something to stop dumping any kind of sewage into lake michigan and start cleaning up our rivers.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Here is one article but not the source of my claims that I am still looking for. I don't like saying "some people say" or "they say" or "I heard" or some one said". Chances are if others on here have heard these claims as well it will provide some validity to my claims until I can find my sources.

The Air We Breathe: Unfriendly Skies | Door County Advocate | doorcountyadvocate.com

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-lake-michigan

Old 11-24-2013, 04:48 PM

I started this thread a while ago. I was wondering what peoples experiences have been. Have the emissions testing gone smoothly? Any scams that you've run into? I'm just curious.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Auto repair shop owners charged with auto emissions testing fraud

Just be careful and just like a doctor get a second opinion. Just look at this place, would you trust it?

Oddly this is in my old neighborhood just a block away from where I grew up.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Auror...694,-87.942563

Old 11-24-2013, 05:43 PM

OMG!!!! No. I would not trust that place. I hadn't heard of any fraud. I was curious to see if anyone else had heard of anything. This is interesting. I felt that something would happen. I have a feeling that there is more fraud out there. I will definitely take your advice and be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee