Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 08:37 PM

646 posts, read 926,760 times

Advertisements

I live in the NYC metro area and looking to move soon for better QOL. I am making a list of cities where I will be applying for jobs and decide from there. Just had general questions.

What's the vibe like?
I like diversity and am moderately liberal. How is the overall culture and mindset of people and race relations? Are there diverse suburbs? I heard it's quite segregated, more than usual. Are there many transplants?
How is outdoor recreation?
How's nightlife? Are there good museums, exhibits, strip clubs, concerts, restaurants, sports bars? I understand it's not NYC, but comparing to cities its size.
Are there any good Hip Hop clubs, events, parties?
How's the women?

Any other relevant info will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 PM

180 posts, read 327,830 times
Well I'm gonna be straight with you. If you lived in NYC then it won't compare in terms of night life museums, but you seem to already know that. That being said I moved here from Los Angeles and I really like it here. It's a very underrated city. It definetly has an urban feel but not nearly as crowded as say NYC or CHI. Let me go through you points.

Segregated? Well apparently that is a Midwest thing. And as far as I can tell it seems to be pretty voluntary. I'm originally from Chicago and it's the same there.

As most large urban cities Milwaukee is a blue city.

There do seem to be quite a few transplants. But I have no numbers to back that.

Outdoor recreation? The great thing about milwaukee is that you don't have to go very far to get to nature. There is plenty to do.

There is a night life and there are many cool things to see here. Our art museum is looks amazing and they have pretty good exhibits that come through.

Hip Hop events? I can't comment on that, not really my thing.

Women? Well I got married before I moved here so I know nothing about the dating scene.

Other thoughts.

Here is a link to difference of Cost of Living Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Being a native Chicagoan, Milwaukee is only 90min from Chicago which is great.

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 PM

Yea, I figured its nice to be able to go to Chicago sometimes for entertainment and what not, although I'd spend most of the time in a city/metro I reside in, but I heard Milwaukee has pretty good nightlife like bars, festivals
COL wise, from what I see, comparing to NYC area is basically incomparable, you could take a big salary hit and still be much better off in Milwaukee. I pay $1300 for 1 bd apt here in Northern NJ in old building with constant leaks and other issues and without parking or laundry. I'd like to pay less of course, but that's pretty close to a minimum here unless u dont mind the sounds of gunfire. I understand Milwaukee has crime too, but I'd live in the suburbs most likely anyway and go to the city possibly for work and nightlife.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Ummm, based on your post & what you're looking for, I'm not sure why you'd want to live in the suburbs. You won't find a great nightlife, bars/clubs/ESPECIALLY hip hop clubs in the suburbs. You'll find a lot of chain restaurants. You most definitely are not going to find women in the suburbs. The suburbs are pretty filled with families. If you're looking for nightlife, culture, restaurants, dating scene, just live in the city. I suggest the east side or third ward, even Riverwest if you want a grungier vibe. For $1300., you'll definitely find a nice place, nicer than most places. However the average rent on the east side is around $800 or so & you'll be in a fun area, you'll probably get parking & laundry. That's my two cents.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Ummm, based on your post & what you're looking for, I'm not sure why you'd want to live in the suburbs. You won't find a great nightlife, bars/clubs/ESPECIALLY hip hop clubs in the suburbs. You'll find a lot of chain restaurants. You most definitely are not going to find women in the suburbs. The suburbs are pretty filled with families. If you're looking for nightlife, culture, restaurants, dating scene, just live in the city. I suggest the east side or third ward, even Riverwest if you want a grungier vibe. For $1300., you'll definitely find a nice place, nicer than most places. However the average rent on the east side is around $800 or so & you'll be in a fun area, you'll probably get parking & laundry. That's my two cents.
I'm not trying to pay 1300 in Milwaukee. In regards to nightlife, I could live in close-in suburbs and enjoy the city from time to time, I don't party every day. I could just drive to the nightlife spots when I feel like it, but still enjoy the peace and quiet when I go back.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
I'm not trying to pay 1300 in Milwaukee. In regards to nightlife, I could live in close-in suburbs and enjoy the city from time to time, I don't party every day. I could just drive to the nightlife spots when I feel like it, but still enjoy the peace and quiet when I go back.
Ok, I got the feeling from your initial post with all the things you're looking for that you were looking to live in the city. As far as suburbs go, I can't really help you with that. I may have been born & raised in one but I do not ever frequent them except for visiting my parents, lol. I can help you out with city stuff though.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Ok, I got the feeling from your initial post with all the things you're looking for that you were looking to live in the city. As far as suburbs go, I can't really help you with that. I may have been born & raised in one but I do not ever frequent them except for visiting my parents, lol. I can help you out with city stuff though.
Ok. Yea, I'm past that. I like to go out and do things, but mainly on weekends nowadays. When I do go out, I like variety though. Some areas of the city look pretty suburban to me actually so they could work too. You are saying for $800 I could rent 1 bd with parking and washer/dryer in unit in a decent area of the city?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
You couldn't get a modern apartment in downtown with covered parking & in unit W/D for $800. I'm paying $1350 for a 1 BR with 2 underground parking spots and no W/D.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it won't be in the East Side, Downtown, or 3rd Ward.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
You couldn't get a modern apartment in downtown with covered parking & in unit W/D for $800. I'm paying $1350 for a 1 BR with 2 underground parking spots and no W/D.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it won't be in the East Side, Downtown, or 3rd Ward.
In Bayview, Riverwest & places on the east side he could. Brand new? No, probably not. But there are plenty of apt bldgs & duplexes he could find.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM

Yea, I dont need new or luxury, just regular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee