Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM

207 posts, read 702,501 times

Advertisements

Reading these forums; it seems the once dominant Black population is leaving Milwaukee (and Wisconsin) while Hispanics are moving in by the boatloads (no Racism intended). The Hispanic population went from 12% in 2000 to 17.1% in 2010. Having been to the North Side and South Sides (one of my closest friends lives in the Mitchell neighborhood); I see the difference: the North sides completely abandoned, while the South Sides bustling with life. But would this mean the Latinization of Milwaukee has begun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanRabbitt View Post
Reading these forums; it seems the once dominant Black population is leaving Milwaukee (and Wisconsin) while Hispanics are moving in by the boatloads (no Racism intended). The Hispanic population went from 12% in 2000 to 17.1% in 2010. Having been to the North Side and South Sides (one of my closest friends lives in the Mitchell neighborhood); I see the difference: the North sides completely abandoned, while the South Sides bustling with life. But would this mean the Latinization of Milwaukee has begun?
The "North side" is not completely abandoned. The 37th and Burleigh area reminds me of Brooklyn, New York when I visited there in noisiness, traffic, and pedestrian bustling, except with housing more reminiscent of whatever area of Queens I also visited briefly.

Certain areas of the North side seem to have become ghostly in many respects. The area around 20th Locust seems like that. Foreclosures moved a lot of people out.

Plenty of black people in Milwaukee. For good or ill many of them are former Chicagoans from the projects and other areas. You can't throw a rock without hitting someone from Chicago.

If anything, whites are leaving the city in greater numbers.

A lot of the Latinos coming to Milwaukee are Mexicans from Mexico, Texas, and for some odd reason... California.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Certain areas of the North side seem to have become ghostly in many respects. The area around 20th Locust seems like that. Foreclosures moved a lot of people out.

Plenty of black people in Milwaukee. For good or ill many of them are former Chicagoans from the projects and other areas. You can't throw a rock without hitting someone from Chicago.

If anything, whites are leaving the city in greater numbers.

A lot of the Latinos coming to Milwaukee are Mexicans from Mexico, Texas, and for some odd reason... California.
More whites are leaving, that's true. But it feels like the whole North side is an abandoned 'hood' that could be used in a zombie movie.
As for Hispanics; it's probably because California's beyond expensive and Milwaukee's relatively cheap. and many of my African American friends from the city and the metro (Racine) are from Chicago

Old 12-12-2012, 03:07 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
Where are the whites going?

Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Where are the whites going?
Its called something known as suburbanization. Its when people are too lazy to make their community better and dont understand how percious their neighbourhood is for a cookie cutter home outside of the city where they waste thousands more on gas.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Its called something known as suburbanization. Its when people are too lazy to make their community better and dont understand how percious their neighbourhood is for a cookie cutter home outside of the city where they waste thousands more on gas.
oh boy, where to begin.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,912 times
What's a city that you would describe as a "Hispanic" city?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
What's a city that you would describe as a "Hispanic" city?
Just a city with a large Hispanic population. I've heard many people say they consider Milwaukee to be a "Chocolate City" due to it's Hispanic population. I don't know what a Hispanic city would be called

Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
It's interesting how in all these cities, white-flight is going on and the whites leave. LA, Miami, Houston, NYC ect. Yet no-one really knows where the mysterious whites relocate to.

Must be secret.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
It's interesting how in all these cities, white-flight is going on and the whites leave. LA, Miami, Houston, NYC ect. Yet no-one really knows where the mysterious whites relocate to.

Must be secret.
White's go to Orange County, I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee