Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:44 PM

432 posts, read 544,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I often find the Mexican food here more authentic than in SoCal (for example), because we have more recent/less Americanized Mexican population.
that comes with a higher population of illegals in new, uncolonized areas, so it makes sense.

i lived in southern mexico--puebla, oaxaca, veracruz, chiapas--so that food is different than the northern mexican food. that's gringo-ized for food in this country, i've found texmex/NM to be more of my liking as not a lot of indians are in kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt14 View Post
that comes with a higher population of illegals in new, uncolonized areas, so it makes sense.

i lived in southern mexico--puebla, oaxaca, veracruz, chiapas--so that food is different than the northern mexican food. that's gringo-ized for food in this country, i've found texmex/NM to be more of my liking as not a lot of indians are in kitchen.
Not all northern Mexican food is tex-mex or border food, though some of it is. Many Mexicans in Milwaukee are from Nuevo León, which, for example, has its own authentic cuisine. I'm quite fond of the cuisines of southern Mexico, but there are only a handful of places (that I know of) in Milwaukee that represent them.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Not all northern Mexican food is tex-mex or border food, though some of it is. Many Mexicans in Milwaukee are from Nuevo León, which, for example, has its own authentic cuisine. I'm quite fond of the cuisines of southern Mexico, but there are only a handful of places (that I know of) in Milwaukee that represent them.
Noticed the Nuevo León influence here as well. Oaxacan-specific food also exists in several spots around town. If you want to go a bit further south on the globe you can hit up Central American restaurants like El Salvador over by the Basilica (great papusas!). This dude has ZERO clue, for real, has no idea what he's talking about on this topic and likely several more that I haven't "researched" as closely - clearly making it up as he goes along.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
What do you guys think of riviera maya or Antigua?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:27 PM

158 posts, read 660,435 times
That's it, this is officially now a "where's the best authentic Mexican food in Milwaukee?" thread.

We shall proceed addressing sit down restaurants and taqueria trucks. Go.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 PM

I'm not a Maya fan - fairly tasteless and touches on "fusion." Good tortilla soup, mediocre mole (their specialty). GTO across the street (and down Howell a couple buildings) is much better, though suburbanites and those more into "atmosphere" will disagree. My favorite salsa in town. The place on the corner that moved into GTO's old digs isn't anything exciting, either. But whatever you do, stay away from Johnny's, the worst Mexican food in Milwaukee outside of Fernando's on OK. It's also a lowlife magnet, but since it's open until bar time and right on KK, people will continue going in and trying it. Once.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
go to Taqueria Arandas. Get the chili rellanos. You won't be disappointed. It was awesome.

Searching for Great Tacos? | Dining Out | Shepherd Express

Old 05-09-2014, 04:30 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I'm not a Maya fan - fairly tasteless and touches on "fusion." Good tortilla soup, mediocre mole (their specialty). GTO across the street (and down Howell a couple buildings) is much better, though suburbanites and those more into "atmosphere" will disagree. My favorite salsa in town. The place on the corner that moved into GTO's old digs isn't anything exciting, either. But whatever you do, stay away from Johnny's, the worst Mexican food in Milwaukee outside of Fernando's on OK. It's also a lowlife magnet, but since it's open until bar time and right on KK, people will continue going in and trying it. Once.
Is GTO Guanajuato? That's where my gf and I usually go. Though I do like Antigua too, but it's not standard "Mexican" cuisine by any means. It's Latin American. Has peruvian, argentine, cuban, etc. All sorts of interesting stuff.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Is GTO Guanajuato? That's where my gf and I usually go. Though I do like Antigua too, but it's not standard "Mexican" cuisine by any means. It's Latin American. Has peruvian, argentine, cuban, etc. All sorts of interesting stuff.
Yup, Guanajuato. Consistent across the menu, great owners, etc. Have actually not checked out Antigua but have been meaning to - will try soon.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
From Chicago, moved to LA and not I'm in MKE. I'm more of a "coke" person myself
That is rather accurate.

When Harrier was in Seattle, people would say "pop".

In Los Angeles, the brand name is used, Coke, Pepsi, 7-up, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee