Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,841 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from the Southeastern part of the US and recently moved to Milwaukee about a year ago. I've lived in Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Washington DC with relatively no problems with crime over the years. Since moving to Milwaukee, I've heard and seen multiple armed robberies and assaults by black teenagers. It never fails that if I hear of an assault happening, it will be a description of black males in their teens or early twenties. Also the media never seems to report any of these incidents. They are only learned through social media or word of mouth. It also seems to be happening all over the city, but mostly northern and eastern areas. Recently, a few weeks ago, a friend was punched by 2 teens with no warning while walking in her own neighborhood . It's gotten to the point where I suspect every black male that I see walking down the street. I've never felt this way walking in other cities all my life. Is this a Milwaukee problem or is this the norm around the country nowadays? Is anyone else having the same experience?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:40 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,213 times
This is a case of selective data. A few minutes on a google search will discover that all of the above mentioned cities have crime rate as high and in most cases higher than Milwaukee. You need to do a little research before you make such invalid claims.

Crime rates in almost US cities have been declining over the past twenty years or so. Your much safer in a large US city now, than in the 90's, Milwaukee included.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM

601 posts, read 1,076,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_2341 View Post
I'm originally from the Southeastern part of the US and recently moved to Milwaukee about a year ago. I've lived in Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Washington DC with relatively no problems with crime over the years. Since moving to Milwaukee, I've heard and seen multiple armed robberies and assaults by black teenagers. It never fails that if I hear of an assault happening, it will be a description of black males in their teens or early twenties. Also the media never seems to report any of these incidents. They are only learned through social media or word of mouth. It also seems to be happening all over the city, but mostly northern and eastern areas. Recently, a few weeks ago, a friend was punched by 2 teens with no warning while walking in her own neighborhood . It's gotten to the point where I suspect every black male that I see walking down the street. I've never felt this way walking in other cities all my life. Is this a Milwaukee problem or is this the norm around the country nowadays? Is anyone else having the same experience?
You know everyone can be ignorant to something but you have to educate yourself better, it seem like you're implying that you know every black person in that area. You never know who are afraid of YOU, so someone may veiw you as suspect as well, and you may say to yourself " How is I'm a suspect if I haven't done anything", those men may feel the same way. But to answer your ?, the city can't make you prejudice, only ignorance (lack of knowledge of) can. So try to judge A person base upon their actions not their skin color. Love self-respect self, love others-respect others. Peace

Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 AM

432 posts, read 544,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_2341 View Post
Is this a Milwaukee problem or is this the norm around the country nowadays? Is anyone else having the same experience?
from my experience it's been happening for the last 7 years for entertainment value, for money/goods, etc. and just gotten bigger each year with the postings of it online. as suggested, you can look on line for it and you'll find out that yes, it's happening all over in the cities, not just milwaukee.

so i just tell people to pay attention to things like that if they're considering moving to someplace and if they're just visiting, be aware. nothing bad about it, it's just what it is.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-SSiPP View Post
You know everyone can be ignorant to something but you have to educate yourself better, it seem like you're implying that you know every black person in that area.
i didn't see where he said anything about ever black person, so you may be reading something into it.

but i do agree with you that people need to 'educate' themselves as to crime statistics.
and they need to get it from multiple sources and if possible, look at the data if you can because sometimes it can be played around with until the powers that be get the results they want.
an example of this is the city of chicago reclassifying robberies as simple thefts so people will keep going there and spending their money, make themselves look good, etc.

another poster here said crime is declining in milwaukee and you can find that on the net. i did and true, according to the city of milwaukee (hold off on laughing outright) showed how crime is indeed down over the last six years. typical shenanigans from the city of milwaukee.

they took the data from 2007 and compared it to 2013. so crime is down. but if you look at crime since 2008, it has gone up every year in all categories. anyone wanna bet that 2006 crime rate was lower than 2007? they chose the beginning year for their baseline so that it would appear that crime has been decreasing, when in fact, it has been increasing every year.

so they lie, milwaukee government lies just like chicago, just like detroit, just like new orleans, etc.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibra...2012crime1.pdf

city urban areas have to lie to sucker people into living there. if not, why else would they lie so much about their crime problems? i'd never live in a place where those in charge of governance and protection lie to me about what's going on there.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,380 times
I've spent time in both DC and Atlanta and I would say overall Milwaukee feels a lot more safe. You can find neighborhoods in all three places that could be considered dangerous though (just like any city).

Old 04-27-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh13 View Post
I've spent time in both DC and Atlanta and I would say overall Milwaukee feels a lot more safe. You can find neighborhoods in all three places that could be considered dangerous though (just like any city).
I've lived in DC for about a year and was always amazed how dangerous that place is. walk 5 blocks from the capitol at night and you're in trouble, don't walk from there to the naval museum during the day (iirc about a mile)...and this was about 30 years ago. i know, like everyplace, it's gotten worse.

I go to the VA in milwaukee and the area around there is a dump. leaving you drive through some third world places too, but that's milwaukee. some places are good, i imagine by universities, tourist areas, and the usual affluent enclaves. as with anything, be careful where you go and when.

I've only driven through 'lanna once, so don't know anything about it.

New ranking: Milwaukee still country's most segregated metro area:
New Ranking: Milwaukee Still Country's Most Segregated Metro Area | WUWM

here's an interesting read from the dailykos:
Milwaukee

and from the comments there: "Even though Wisconsin has 72 counties, almost 50 percent of our state’s prisoners come from one county—Milwaukee. The city comprises about 11 percent of the state’s population, but, last year, 49 percent of the state’s homicides occurred in Milwaukee."

to me, this is big city life (sorry madison, you're still just a town), but milwaukee does hold a distinction amongst the big cities like chiraq does, nawlins does, and detroit does.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post

Crime rates in almost US cities have been declining over the past twenty years or so. Your much safer in a large US city now, than in the 90's, Milwaukee included.

This. Violent crime is down all over. Mostly due to demographics more than better policing or social policies, but it is down across the country.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This. Violent crime is down all over.
not true. i showed how milwaukee's decrease in crime was only due to them taking the baseline of 2007.
since 2008, it's increased every year. and those were milwaukee gov's data. i linked it....something it seems like no one else does when posting their hopes and beliefs here.

btw, i've also stated how chicago has played with their robbery and murder numbers and since chicago magazine did a ditty on it, it's gotten national media press....like something new happened.

denver would take felonies by illegals and reduce them to 'agricultural tresspassing' in order to not have to call immigration....then let them go, so that certainly reduced their crime rate on paper.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM

146 posts, read 343,491 times
Quote:
This is a case of selective data. A few minutes on a google search will discover that all of the above mentioned cities have crime rate as high and in most cases higher than Milwaukee. You need to do a little research before you make such invalid claims.

Violent crime is down? If you say so.

The back of my MED unit says otherwise, but statistically speaking...I guess so...

My real world experience would have to say that violent crime is up, in our utopia. Regardless, of what any bean counters would have to say, statistically speaking, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee