Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM

421 posts, read 556,465 times

Advertisements

German shepherds, Rottweilers, mastiffs and Dobermans all have a stronger bite strength then pitties.

But the reason pits are so badly viewed is there are sooooooo many of them compared to other breeds. They are as likely to attack as golden retrievers if you adjust it for population.

And most of what people call pits are mix pits or dogs that have no pit in them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Pitbull bites Racine County toddler in the face | CBS 58 | Local News

Old 08-07-2014, 08:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
As someone who was in the pitbulls are not so bad camp I have since changed my mind on the dogs after my come to Jesus moment with my pitbull. One day they will just snap!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
German shepherds, Rottweilers, mastiffs and Dobermans all have a stronger bite strength then pitties.

But the reason pits are so badly viewed is there are sooooooo many of them compared to other breeds. They are as likely to attack as golden retrievers if you adjust it for population.

And most of what people call pits are mix pits or dogs that have no pit in them at all.
All of these breeds, including Goldens (but prolly not Mastiffs), have serious bite records as compared to the aforementioned cranky Cocker Spaniel. Again, if I were to get bitten I would choose the Cocker over any of these breeds. However, there is a difference. The Pit Bull breeds have the genetic terrier tenacity (historically bred for in terriers to enable them to function as excellent vermin dispatchers...bite, hold on and shake to kill) which renders their bites more damaging. Many also have the genetic "bull biter" tendency to go for the face and hang on until the victim...historically a bull and initially desired for ranch work but eventually used for the horrific sport of bull-baiting...is subdued.

GSDs, Rotts and Dobes used by police and military are trained to bite and hang on to humans. There are too many factors involved in the selection of a good working dog to go into here but generally they are easily trained to do so because they are comparatively intelligent and because many dogs enjoy biting and hanging on to toys (the tug of war game). The Pit Bull breeds can do this naturally because it is instinctual. Just like a herding breed naturally rounds up children, a retrieving breed naturally carries stuff in it's mouth, etc. Those traits can have unintended consequences...the herding breed can chase kids and cars; the retriever can destroy shoes and more. And the Pittie can bite a face, hang on and shake.

And yes...there is no Pit Bull per se but rather a group of dogs and mixes that include the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier...all terriers.

The population of Pit Bull breeds (and mixes) has certainly grown exponentially. I don't know this for a fact but it sure seems like the majority of dogs in rescues nowadays are Pitties. And where did this surge come from? From inner cities where they have been bred to produce the next best fighting dog...a dog that fights other dogs, not humans. Bred by a group of people with little respect for canine life...after all these dogs are bred to kill other dogs...and thus they do not have the moral reins that could prevent breeding huge numbers of dogs in the pursuit for that one killer ring king. Huge numbers of dogs that end up in rescue. And when you create a dog that wants to fight other dogs, give it a horrible upbringing (beat it to evaluate it's fighting potential, use it as a bait dog, provide no socialization, etc.) and that ends up in rescue by virtue of being let loose to roam the streets or confiscated during a raid, that dog has been set up for failure. It is actually a testament to the wonderfully tolerant nature of the Pit Bull breeds that some of these dogs can suffer such a horrific upbringing and remain wonderful companions, never to bite.

It is unfair, understandable and certainly caused by humans but the fact remains that the Pit Bull breeds can be much more dangerous than other breeds for all the reasons stated above.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
I really wish people would get their facts straight. In time people who abuse and fight dogs will move on to another breed and pit bulls will be loved again.

I think 90% of pit bull legislation is trying to keep thugs out of areas. I have a pit mix...I'm not a thug. But if anyone asks, she's a Dalmatian mix.
No they will not move on to another breed. All the other breeds with the jaw structure and ability to use it to kill (bite, hang on and shake) are much larger dogs than the Pittie. Plus they require training whereas the terrier breeds come by this killing mechanism naturally. These people do not want to spend much time training their dogs when they can breed a dog that kills more naturally...all they have to do is abuse the right dog to turn it into a killer. And it is much more physically challenging (kennel space, control) and costly (feeding) to keep larger dogs than smaller dogs. Additionally, there is no dog with as much muscling in a compact body...these guys are little weight lifting machines! There is no more ideal fighting dog in a relatively small package than the Pittie.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM

101 posts, read 200,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
As someone who was in the pitbulls are not so bad camp I have since changed my mind on the dogs after my come to Jesus moment with my pitbull. One day they will just snap!
What? Oh boy. What was this moment you had?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM

358 posts, read 451,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxville View Post
It's like a gun in the hands of a nut job.
Not really. A gun can't fire itself. A pit bull can snap at any moment, with or without its owner.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:29 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
All dogs have the potential to bite. Pit bulls have the potential to do serious damage, even kill. Happens all the time. Nearly every time the owner is interviewed as saying....but snookums never did that before! He's been wonderful and sweet and sleeps with my kids.......until he chewed their face off.

There a reason insurance companies don't want the liability of issuing homeowners insurance if the homeowner owns a pit bull.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:05 AM

297 posts, read 358,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Thanks for the historical information, but in my opinion the negatives outweigh the positives with pit bulls. I don't want to take my chances.
Historical?
What about CDC reports?
https://www.census.gov/compendia/sta...es/deaths.html
Would you have said the same thing about a person lying about a golden retriever? or what about reptiles? Heck even a Pomeranian?
Dog killed ripped 2-month-old baby's legs off while father slept in other room: police - NY Daily News
‘Vicious’ python kills two sleeping children, aged 5 and 7, after escaping from N.B. pet store | National Post
Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog - Los Angeles Times
Also, more children drown in 5 gallon buckets of water than are killed by ANY and ALL dog breeds combined. In fact, here is a list of things more likely to kill you than ALL dog breeds combined per year. Based off CDC stats:
Ladders
house hold chemicals
bees
traffic lights
doctor malpractice
lightning
vending machines
mosquito's
Fire ants
Falling out of bed
I mean, this list just goes on and on.
I dont see people registering 5 gallon buckets, ladders or beds. So why should they have to register a dog? How does that make any sense?????

Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Not too may places are receptive

No fan of the pit bull here. Not interested in an animal that I have to be prepared to kill 24/7. I would never bring such a unpredictable monster into my home, around my kids, where they are an eyelash blink away from pure disaster. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee