Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

I'm new here from London and am a die hard football(soccer) fan. I've read on here that the Nomad World Pub is quite the hangout for the World Cup, but does soccer retain its popularity during the time between each cup? Is the MLS popular? If so Is Chicago's MLS team popular up here or is your MILS team the Wave more popular? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,833 times
No responses, either everyone is out or nobody knows. Well I guess I have to see if soccer is popular in Milwaukee for myself.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,512,113 times
People follow the local team, of course, not sure about MLS so much - people sometimes root for Chicago teams, but often they don't like Chicago teams because they are bitter rivals in many other sports. Highbury is the soccer bar in my neighborhood, but there are others throughout town. It's definitely a baseball/football (American) city, but there are also a lot of soccer fans, you just need to find the right place!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 AM

358 posts, read 449,516 times
Milwaukee doesn't have a pro team, so I'm a fan of the Chicago Fire. Their matches are televised in Milwaukee, and it's a reasonable drive to attend a game. However, I would say that the Fire or MLS aren't very well-known in Milwaukee. But there is a local group trying to start a division 2 or 3 team in Milwaukee.

The Wave are fairly popular in Milwaukee, but nothing on the level of the Brewers (baseball) or Bucks (basketball). Wave matches are a lot of fun, but keep in mind that the indoor/arena game is a bit different than outdoor/FIFA soccer.

There are healthy crowds at Highbury and Nomad where you can watch BPL games on weekends.

Marquette University and UW-Milwaukee both have strong university teams, so they would be worth checking out.

There are also quite of bit of adult rec, amateur, and youth clubs and leagues in the area if you are interested in playing.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,297,831 times
Londonjack, are you familiar with the Three Lions Pub in Shorewood?

Three Lions Pub - British Pub Milwaukee « Three Lions Pub – British Pub Milwaukee

From what I understand, a lot of Anglophone expats hang out there, and soccer is a significant thing there.

Another place to investigate is the Highbury Pub in Bayview:

Home | The Highbury
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee