Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:34 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,079 times

Advertisements

I'm in King of Prussia, PA right now (right outside of Philadelphia) and I'm looking to relocate to Wisconsin (of course, I have to find a 2nd job here as I apply in Wisconsin to earn extra money for the move). I have a degree in writing and I'm finding Green Bay and the surrounding areas of Green Bay have promising leads. However, as people have suggested, DON'T USE CRAIGSLIST! Craigslist is so dangerous. Try Indeed.com or Glass Door. I like those two places. In my area we have something called Career Builder... I think it's nationwide, so you might be able to give that a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM

413 posts, read 789,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDad_best_show View Post
Steve, a friend of mine named Cory said that very same thing to me late last year. He kept urging me to get a profile on LinkedIn and told me to connect with absolutely every person I knew. I started one up and took it down like a month later.

I rather the job search style of the 90s and prior. My uncle in his 50s--who has a successful job since way before this ridiculous social media/Internet run job search--said the job search is very different from what it used to be. He said he liked the old style better where you went up to the job to fill out your applications and give it to them in person. He said that under that method, he was able to meet with the employer before the interview. In this manner, as part of submitting the application, the employer got to see the way he carried himself, the way he communicated, the way he held a conversation, etc. He said it was probably a lot easier getting a job back then.

I would agree with him. Way better than sitting around all day friending random strangers online and people I half know to get a job.
LinkedIn is probably the most common tool for networking, but networking doesn't necessarily have to involve social media or the Internet. I'm more talking about meeting up with people face-to-face, arranging job shadowing, informational interviews, Rotary Club breakfasts, or even hanging out at a bar frequented by people from a place that you'd like to work and ingratiating yourself. There are lots of ways to network. You just have to get creative, get out there, and have a good 15-30 second elevator speech about what you're looking for and why someone should hire you.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
LinkedIn is probably the most common tool for networking, but networking doesn't necessarily have to involve social media or the Internet. I'm more talking about meeting up with people face-to-face, arranging job shadowing, informational interviews, Rotary Club breakfasts, or even hanging out at a bar frequented by people from a place that you'd like to work and ingratiating yourself. There are lots of ways to network. You just have to get creative, get out there, and have a good 15-30 second elevator speech about what you're looking for and why someone should hire you.
How would you suggest something for people relocating? I don't want to get this thread too OT... so send me a message because I really need advice.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:01 PM

180 posts, read 327,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
It's not Milwaukee, it's your degree and trying to find a job on Craigslist.
What he/she said I'm sorry to say.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM

I don't know, I'm still convinced it's because you're using CL. I've never heard of communications majors having a difficult time finding work. In fact, they have an easier time than I do... as an English major. But, it might be distance in my case. I still think the OP should try out Career Builder, Glass Door and Indeed. Also, make sure your internet history isn't of question to employers as other people have mentioned.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 PM

36 posts, read 59,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
This posting was BRILLIANT. I actually never thought of this before, sort of an in-person networking approach. Use of creative excuses to get the employer one on one without directly letting him know you're kind of treating it as a job interview. Hehehehhehehe! OMG! I LOVE that idea. Usually most job hunting tricks have a bunch of holes, but this one is really good.

I also like that you've listed a few examples of creative labels I could dress this job interview up as, such as informational interview, job shadowing session, Rotary Club Breakfasts, etc. I could also dress it up as volunteer work and me just desiring to volunteer for the employer. In reality, I'll be showing what I'm made of and at the end pass along that I'm looking for a job.

I will say that I thought your idea to dress it up as a casual get together at a bar may be unrealistic. I doubt I am going to be able to find out where an employer spends his leisure time unless I can find them on Facebook maybe. And they'd have to be one of those types that's into putting all their personal business on Facebook. Either that or I'd have to ask if he'd like to hang out. And most people take random strangers asking to get together as a date. So I don't know how effective that one in and of itself would be. But this is a FANTASTIC idea. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I'm in King of Prussia, PA right now (right outside of Philadelphia) and I'm looking to relocate to Wisconsin (of course, I have to find a 2nd job here as I apply in Wisconsin to earn extra money for the move). I have a degree in writing and I'm finding Green Bay and the surrounding areas of Green Bay have promising leads. However, as people have suggested, DON'T USE CRAIGSLIST! Craigslist is so dangerous. Try Indeed.com or Glass Door. I like those two places. In my area we have something called Career Builder... I think it's nationwide, so you might be able to give that a try.
Oh cool! I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Journalism (and Advertising) and love to write as well. I am 27 year old male. How old are you? Are you single or moving here with a wife and/or kids? What makes you want to move here?! Was the decision made all for the purposes of jobs or...?

I would love to find a career in the journalism industry but I've been forced to look for jobs outside of my field of study because of what a lack of luck I am having in even getting interviews. I never knew Green Bay was an area of promising opportunity for writers. That's new. Where'd you learn of this?

=D Yes, I have heard of Indeed.com, Glass Door, Career Builder (yes this is national), etc., etc., etc. I have tried them all and no luck. I do love Glass Door for it's job reviews though. I think we need more of that. I love that people give you a little taste of what specific jobs are like from their experience.

You said that you've already landed a job here?! And what job is that? Yes, unfortunately to make it out here, it would seem you need to jobs. Salary for most jobs are crappy out here. But the price of living is pretty good as compared to other places. But most salaries out here are still too low to live comfortably.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
What he/she said I'm sorry to say.
But I've not gotten any interviews using the other sides either.
At least with Craigslist I've had interviews, albeit 90% of the
stuff was a job that was falsely advertised and left out key parts
of the job that made it completely undesirable. But some of the
jobs were decent, just crappy pay or temporary.

Ok, I guess I am kind of contradicting myself and basically stating
that Craigslist has wasted my gas money and time.

But I got two interviews for legitimate jobs last week, so we'll
see how that pans out this week. They are supposed to give me
a call back this week to tell me if I got the job. And also inform
me of the salary.

If something goes to hell, I will SWEAR off Craigslist once and for
all.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Milwaukee is a very difficult market to get a job in unless you are in the right field and have connections. IMO, the best way to go about it is to target the places you want to work at. Pick 10 places you'd like to work at, then target them. Create a Linkedin profile and tailor specifically for the places you want to work at. Use Linkedin to find people who work at the company. If they hold a position that you'd eventually like to get, their profile has the qualifications that you would need. Seek to connect with them simply by asking for their advice. Everyone likes to be respected for their credentials, and they are appreciative when someone thinks enough of them to ask for their advice. If they are particularly helpful, they may suggest you connect on Linkedin and they may even recommend you.

If the company has a website, spend a great deal of time finding out what qualifications they want in the people who work there. You can learn a lot about the company's internal environment using connections by advice on Linkedin and through the company website.

For any position you apply for, tailor you resume specifically for the job you want. Your objective should mirror their ideal candidate. Your qualifications and buzzwords should mirror those on the ad. Don't embellish or lie.

Also, consider taking a lesser position, one you're overqualified for, with the company. That way, you can get in, and once a suitable position opens up, you can work internally to get that position. Internally, you have an advantage.

Good luck! Milwaukee is a tough market, so you have to be creative, resourceful, and exercise a great deal of perseverance to get what you want.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,205 times
Did you do any kind of internships while in school during summers? If so, use some of those people for contacts, etc.

My brother got his M.A. in journalism in the 80s. He's had several jobs, many of which aren't technically journalism.
Right now he is writing grant proposals and loves it. He did hit a dry spell over the last few years, but still was able to find jobs writing, not just in journalism. He's worked as a communications director, an aide to a mayor, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee