Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:23 AM

45 posts, read 91,001 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info everyone! I can not tell you how helpful you have been to me. There are areas I would not have known or considered living in before reading your comments.

Just so I leave no rock unturned.... What about Pewaukee? I know it is farther from downtown MKE, but it is still only 10 minutes from my work, so I think I should at least explore the options.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:44 AM

14 posts, read 29,744 times
Taco, you need to disregard every post made by Vegas Cabbie. He is truly clueless.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noamchomsky View Post
Taco, you need to disregard every post made by Vegas Cabbie. He is truly clueless.
Even though others were posting about suggesting a buffer zone or other counties to live in...
I guess they are clueless too.

OP... Fair warning, some people in Milwaukee will defend it blindly... I suggest visiting the neighborhoods in questions and decide for yourself if you think it's a comfortable place to live or not.

Clearly there are multiple people suggesting western areas and others being fine with the all the areas.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:40 AM

319 posts, read 664,725 times
200k house budget, Christians, and private schooling.... I'd vote Waukesha.
It's a conservative city with lower property taxes and decent amenities.

200k would barely buy an old and outdated house in Brookfield or New Berlin.

Milwaukee County suburbs have high taxes and good public schools, but you have no need for those.

Realistically I recommend renting a year in Wauwatosa to get familiar with the city.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:00 PM

I am the OP and would like to update everyone. After weighing the opinions on here, talking to friends in the area, and visiting in person multiple times.......
We have decided on Wauwatosa (the western part)! I initially was hesitant to Tosa because it isn't all that far from rougher areas. But a lot of that was due to a complete unfamiliarity with the city. Tosa is halfway between downtown and work, seems to have a good mix of entertainment and a family atmosphere, and I just liked it's charm when I visited. It doesn't feel like a suburb. There might be some risk of resale value in 10 years, but I felt sale and welcomed by the community, and I believe we will be just fine.

Thanks for everything you guys! I'd love to hear any further comments from the many contributors on here!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco14 View Post
I am the OP and would like to update everyone. After weighing the opinions on here, talking to friends in the area, and visiting in person multiple times.......
We have decided on Wauwatosa (the western part)! I initially was hesitant to Tosa because it isn't all that far from rougher areas. But a lot of that was due to a complete unfamiliarity with the city. Tosa is halfway between downtown and work, seems to have a good mix of entertainment and a family atmosphere, and I just liked it's charm when I visited. It doesn't feel like a suburb. There might be some risk of resale value in 10 years, but I felt sale and welcomed by the community, and I believe we will be just fine.

Thanks for everything you guys! I'd love to hear any further comments from the many contributors on here!
Good luck!

Old 11-11-2014, 08:50 PM

I'm looking at renting in Wauwatosa. What do you guys think of the area at N 64th St and Bluemound Rd? It's close to Jacobus Park. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,205 times
I know the area well and went to Juneau high school... Which is two blocks south of that intersection.
The homes on the south side of bluemound aren't great. Lots of people who dont care. That is considered Milwaukee though.
On the north side of Bluemound (actually IN tosa), it is a bit better. The home values themselves are higher and general property upkeep is better as well. With Bluemound rd, you might be better off looking a little further west into the 80s-90s blocks. There is a really nice section down towards the stadium off of bluemound (this section isn't that big and finding rental properties could be tough) and then higher up like I said before... But to me, the 50's-60's blocks aren't as clean. Around 62nd is a coin laundrymat and a George webbs right next to each other that definitely brings the appeal factor down.
Barbiere's Italian (someone help with the spelling cause I know I just butchered that) has ridiculously good food on (I think) 61st and bluemound.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,720 times
The Jacobus Park area is really nice - a super friendly neighborhood and a great location!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco14 View Post
I'm looking at renting in Wauwatosa. What do you guys think of the area at N 64th St and Bluemound Rd? It's close to Jacobus Park. Thanks!
If you are looking for the western part of Tosa 64th and Bluemound is not it. I wouldn't rent in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee