Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Nobody's going to leave the state because teachers have to teach more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Wrong. Some researchers will leave the state if they have to research less and teach more. Not all, of course, but some.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:35 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
So you're saying teachers/professors don't teach enough?

Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
*UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT*

I actually respect his response a lot.

"That's a question a politician shouldn't be involved in one way or the other. So I'm going to leave that up to you."

That is indeed a question that a politician needn't answer.

A politician shouldn't need to, because there should be no question as to the answer. Evolution (change in genome over time) is a fact. People confuse the scientific fact with Darwin's theory of evolution, which while no one debates, is a theory.

Politicians should lead. He's no leader.

Quote:

False. Having worked in several higher learning institutions. Instruction load vs research time was very much at the core of recruiting and retaining top faculty.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:51 AM

Here's an editorial in today's MJS about the proposed cuts and UWM. It addresses a lot of issues raised here.

David D. Haynes - In the wake of Gov. Scott Walker's budget proposals, UWM's mission may be crippled

Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Yup, When I was in Austin this month, I met a lot of Packer fans during the NFC game. Most of them cite weather as the biggest reason, 2nd most is economy.

Plus that also answered my question "where did all the good looking WI girls go?"
I'm not convinced that a summer in Austin is any more pleasant then a winter in Madison, though..

Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm not convinced that a summer in Austin is any more pleasant then a winter in Madison, though..
Right, my first-ever trip to Austin was many years ago in mid-MAY and it was over 100 and just steaming humid...I could never live through a Texan summer, or at least I would never want to.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

False. Having worked in several higher learning institutions. Instruction load vs research time was very much at the core of recruiting and retaining top faculty.
A lot of conservatives seem to have a very simplistic and narrow-minded view of what educators and institutions are supposed to do. Part of the "anti-academia" war that Walker has successfully campaigned under, I suppose.

Pretty soon the UW will be a glorified trade school system, and I guess people will be happy about that.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:44 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
OK, Are We Ever Going to Talk About That UW Bloat? - Right Wisconsin - Conservative politics and perspective powered by Charlie Sykes
The highest-paid professor earned $306,030. According to publicly available University of Wisconsin-Madison class schedules, he didn’t teach a single course during the fall semester, and is not teaching any courses this semester—instead overseeing graduate students as they write their theses.

The second-highest paid professor also teaches economics at Madison and made $296,085. He taught two classes last semester and the same two this semester, though he did teach one with another professor.

That professor made $232,583 himself yet is not teaching a single course by himself this semester.

The ten highest-paid professors in the UW System all teach at Madison and earned an average salary of $269,253 but are only teaching a total of 15 different courses. Four of those ten professors are only teaching one course, and only one is teaching three.

Here's a Wisconsin Idea: Don't Make Me Take Classes I Don't Need - Right Wisconsin - Conservative politics and perspective powered by Charlie Sykes

Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
OK, Are We Ever Going to Talk About That UW Bloat? - Right Wisconsin - Conservative politics and perspective powered by Charlie Sykes
The highest-paid professor earned $306,030. According to publicly available University of Wisconsin-Madison class schedules, he didn’t teach a single course during the fall semester, and is not teaching any courses this semester—instead overseeing graduate students as they write their theses.

The second-highest paid professor also teaches economics at Madison and made $296,085. He taught two classes last semester and the same two this semester, though he did teach one with another professor.

That professor made $232,583 himself yet is not teaching a single course by himself this semester.

The ten highest-paid professors in the UW System all teach at Madison and earned an average salary of $269,253 but are only teaching a total of 15 different courses. Four of those ten professors are only teaching one course, and only one is teaching three.

Any idea how many of them have grants or have other activities that help pay for their salaries? Or is your point merely to suggest that professors in high-demand fields shouldn't make as much as other professionals, like football coaches?

Pretty shallow article. For example, it says this:

"The price of that education, for Morales, included a class in Scandinavian literature, among other courses Morales said she felt she didn’t need to finish her majors and to eventually pursue a career."

There is no such thing as a Scandinavian literature requirement at any UW school. Yes, in order to graduate, there are breadth requirements in humanities, social science, natural science, etc. But it's up to the students to find something that interests them and that meets the requirements.

If a student can't find something interesting or useful among scores of options, then that student should consider the many tech schools around or the many focused universities that don't require breadth.

When students apply to colleges, they really should investigate ahead of time what the requirements are to graduate. It is also helpful not to wait until the final year of school to take requirements, as the woman featured in the article seems to have done.

The article really just shows the poor choices made by the students who are complaining. One wonders if they'll get a job, neglect to read the job description, and then complain about having to do things that they don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee