U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 PM

8,277 posts, read 10,206,741 times

Advertisements

By the way, I watched Milwaukee's "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley" more times than I care to remember, and i also watched Baltimore's "Diner" and "Tin Men ( with Dreyfuss and DeVito) many times as both movies are fantastic. I watched Bart Starr throw TD passes to Boyd Dowler, and I watched Johnny U, in his hightops, throw perfect spirals to John Mackey for scores. I also watched Earl Weaver of the Orioles argue with every umpire in the American League, and get thrown out by every single one, too..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 PM

684 posts, read 797,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I would honestly say that because Baltimore is a row house city, its poverty is magnified several times that of a city with other housing types. Milwaukee's neighborhoods ( from my time living in WI) do not look desperately poor--many have fairly decent single-family houses, with lawns, with decent spacing between homes. Abandoned row house cities just have an look of abject poverty about them that is nearly impossible to shake. Consider the general sentiment about Camden, NJ, a small row house city just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. It's considered to be one of the worst dumps in America, and it looks just like Philly, or Baltimore.
Milwaukee's ( and Chicago's) bungalow neighborhoods are actually very pleasant, especially those with craftsman-style bungalows. The lawns are nicely manicured, and gently slope alongside a walkway to wide streets. The home themselves are not huge, but they are pretty-well kept, and there's plenty of room for everyone, inside and out. Baltimore simply isn't like this, especially in its inner city.
There was a great CD thread a couple of years ago about "which cities were the worst, visually-speaking", or words to that effect.It was pretty informative, and also pretty funny. It compared cities like Philly and Baltimore to cities like LA and other West Coats cities. There were quite a few jokes about how palm trees made a neighborhood more appealing, and a more than a few remarks about how the income levels weren't any different, but the PERCEPTIONS of such neighborhoods were much different. Inglewood in LA actually looks halfway decent, in appearance, but economically is not different from Baltimore--but Balto suffers by comparison, because parts of it LOOK hopeless, and undesirable.
ok good now your putting some thought into this. I'm just going to say as I've said before that even though what you say is true (row homes look bad dilapidated) visual appearance obviously doesn't have anything to do with poverty as Philly and Baltimore poverty rates are lower. For example, what's causing Milwaukee's poverty if houses are well kept and lawns are flawless as you say? I really want to know its interesting.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 AM

8,277 posts, read 10,206,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
ok good now your putting some thought into this. I'm just going to say as I've said before that even though what you say is true (row homes look bad dilapidated) visual appearance obviously doesn't have anything to do with poverty as Philly and Baltimore poverty rates are lower. For example, what's causing Milwaukee's poverty if houses are well kept and lawns are flawless as you say? I really want to know its interesting.
I'm not waiting for your approval on anything, kid, or "dude", as you put it. And while YOU'RE at it, work a little bit on your grammar, too.

A better question would be: If the poverty rates are similar, why do many parts of Baltimore look like a 3rd -world country?

Lots of cities ( Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc) lost much of their industrial base, and yet it didn't lead to total neighborhood abandonment, and complete blight. Barry Levinson, and others, were smart not to show the blighted parts of the city, lest someone think that Baltimore might not be as "charming" as was being depicted.

I don't check in on the Balt forums much, but I do remember a thread started by a transplant from Denver. Her opening statement was : " This city is SOOOOOOO sketchy".

Old 02-26-2015, 07:22 AM

10,108 posts, read 8,775,929 times
IMHO, Milwaukee is a shell of what it was 30 years ago. So many jobs have left. The freeways used to be clogged, even in the middle of the day. Now you can breeze through with hardly slowing down. The problem is obvious to those who are willing to open their eyes and see. But as long as the property taxes are as high as they are, don't expect any revitalization.

What's also interesting is that Milw is much like St. Louis and KC. Drive to the suburbs, and there is traffic and congestion everywhere, but drive through the central city, even at rush hour, and you breeze right through.

I find some of the comments interesting on this thread. They remind me of the opinions of people in a town in NC I lived in for 4 years. Their schools were terrible, bottom of the barrel as far as SAT scores and the facilities were a wreck. They knew the test scores but they continued to insist that their schools were just as good as anyone's. Same attitude here. Statistics show Milw. one of the poorest large cities in the USA, and with no actual knowledge, nothing but denial.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:49 AM

15,545 posts, read 7,379,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
IMHO, Milwaukee is a shell of what it was 30 years ago. So many jobs have left. The freeways used to be clogged, even in the middle of the day. Now you can breeze through with hardly slowing down. The problem is obvious to those who are willing to open their eyes and see. But as long as the property taxes are as high as they are, don't expect any revitalization.

What's also interesting is that Milw is much like St. Louis and KC. Drive to the suburbs, and there is traffic and congestion everywhere, but drive through the central city, even at rush hour, and you breeze right through.

I find some of the comments interesting on this thread. They remind me of the opinions of people in a town in NC I lived in for 4 years. Their schools were terrible, bottom of the barrel as far as SAT scores and the facilities were a wreck. They knew the test scores but they continued to insist that their schools were just as good as anyone's. Same attitude here. Statistics show Milw. one of the poorest large cities in the USA, and with no actual knowledge, nothing but denial.
Lol, really? No traffic downtown. That's pretty funny since I actually live here & work downtown & you don't live here, correct? Your commentary is wrong. I only see the hints of poverty in the inner city, pockets of the north & south side. Everywhere else? No.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

Thank you! as I've said earlier there's denial in this thread. I don't deny Baltimore's problems but only get offended when other people point fingers when they should focus on their own situations.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm not waiting for your approval on anything, kid, or "dude", as you put it. And while YOU'RE at it, work a little bit on your grammar, too.

A better question would be: If the poverty rates are similar, why do many parts of Baltimore look like a 3rd -world country?
Again just another low blow you keep making to get off of the topic in this thread.

Lots of cities ( Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc) lost much of their industrial base, and yet it didn't lead to total neighborhood abandonment, and complete blight. Barry Levinson, and others, were smart not to show the blighted parts of the city, lest someone think that Baltimore might not be as "charming" as was being depicted.

I don't check in on the Balt forums much, but I do remember a thread started by a transplant from Denver. Her opening statement was : " This city is SOOOOOOO sketchy".
Saying dude for one doesn't have anything to do with grammar. I am well educated. At this point I think you're just desperate and trying to say anything to make yourself look persuasive. Don't get mad because the points of your opinions are put down with facts and not just other opinions from OP, posters and other opinions of people that make threads on citydata. No those cities were not completely blighted and neither is Baltimore or Philly in that case. Barry Levinson comment does not make sense to me so I'm not going to counter argue. Last, why bring up opinionated statements again... that's what I mean and the fact that your going off of memory now doesn't mean anything for all I know your making this up. It is just pathetic. I feel like Simon Cowell on here.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 02-26-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:53 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,299,953 times
Quote:
I am well educated. At this point I think your just desperate ...

Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Here's my next contestant Simon can never get a break. I'm sorry but is your name John Cornwall are you working for the college board? It's called a typo can easily be fixed with an apostrophe thanks professor X. I hope this is not going to become a thread of self-accredited English professors because I said "I'm educated." Save the malevolent behavior for someone else.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 02-26-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,299,953 times
Quote:
It's called a typo can easily be fixed with an apostrophe thanks professor X. I hope this is not going to become a thread of self-accredited English professors because I said "I'm educated." Save the malevolent behavior for someone else.
Actually, that's not quite true. "You're" is a contraction for "you are", and "your" is a possessive pronoun that is frequently misused when a person means "you are". To correct the deficiency you would actually need to add an apostrophe and the letter "e".

You can't blame me for the irony in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or