U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:39 AM

684 posts, read 797,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Can we get off of Baltimore already? The topic is Milwaukee.
yes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:31 PM

925 posts, read 1,738,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
IMHO, Milwaukee is a shell of what it was 30 years ago. So many jobs have left. The freeways used to be clogged, even in the middle of the day. Now you can breeze through with hardly slowing down. The problem is obvious to those who are willing to open their eyes and see. But as long as the property taxes are as high as they are, don't expect any revitalization.

What's also interesting is that Milw is much like St. Louis and KC. Drive to the suburbs, and there is traffic and congestion everywhere, but drive through the central city, even at rush hour, and you breeze right through.

I find some of the comments interesting on this thread. They remind me of the opinions of people in a town in NC I lived in for 4 years. Their schools were terrible, bottom of the barrel as far as SAT scores and the facilities were a wreck. They knew the test scores but they continued to insist that their schools were just as good as anyone's. Same attitude here. Statistics show Milw. one of the poorest large cities in the USA, and with no actual knowledge, nothing but denial.
Your are kidding about the traffic - right? Kinda of like when I have to wait through two lights to get through Fond du lac and Burleigh at 3pm, or how about anywhere near Locust & Oakland anytime in the afternoon. How about south 16th and Greenfield - another two lights to get through. Anywhere on Capitol in the morning or afternoon. I could go on and on. My suburban friends are always surprised by the amount of traffic when they visit. It's clear you have no idea what the hell your talking about. Do us a favor and worry about the traffic in Lubbock, but again who would want to live in Lubbock Tx, sounds horrible.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 02-26-2015 at 03:10 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 02:42 PM

15,545 posts, read 7,379,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Your are kidding about the traffic - right? Kinda of like when I have to wait through two lights to get through Fond du lac and Burleigh at 3pm, or how about anywhere near Locust & Oakland anytime in the afternoon. Who about south 16th and Greenfield - another two lights to get through. Anywhere on Capitol in the morning or afternoon. I could go on and on. My suburban friends are always surprised by the amount of traffic when they visit. It's clear you have no idea what the hell your talking about. Do us a favor and worry about the traffic in Lubbock, but again who would want to live in Lubbock Tx, sounds horrible.
Just another case of someone who doesn't live here claiming they know the city. Laughable, hey?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 PM

4,923 posts, read 5,319,873 times
I never knew Milwaukee was that poor, people on the internet said it was true so it most be true lol haaaaa.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:47 PM

63,078 posts, read 88,670,500 times
Some things people need to be mindful of are:

Off campus college students are included in the poverty rate, certain cities can annex unincorporated areas into city limits which can water down city poverty rates(think Sun Belt and select Midwestern cities) and many times these lists include bigger suburbs of major cities which will have different characteristics. So, when looking at such lists, you have to be mindful of the criteria and differences among cities.

You will notice not only are the cities high on the list were former manufacturing powerhouses, but they also are largely cities that haven't annexed land/unincorporated areas in many decades. Take a look at the square mileage of cities to get an idea of the differences and what I'm talking about.

You will also notice that college towns or college town sections of cities will have high poverty rates due to the off campus college student presence.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,166,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Can we get off of Baltimore already? The topic is Milwaukee.
Don't trash us and we won't comment about Milwaukee. You may be pleased to know that Milwaukee has a good reputation among people that I have met. I wish Charm City could claim even a tiny slice of that.

You may enjoy this: The Wire, Serial, and the Decline of the American Industrial Empire which includes:

"By inviting us to witness those “sharing a dark corner of the American experiment,"... The Wire explains... how one of the biggest cities in America became a byword for crime and decay."

Milwaukee has no hope of matching us in the "byword for crime and decay" department. At least, bad reputation wise, we are #2... to Detroit.

Last edited by pwduvall; 02-26-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 09:31 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,375,683 times
I actually think the traffic as portrayed by the Texas guy is the exact opposite... I always found the freeways to be a bit of a hassle (very low speed limit, not enough lanes, always some kind of major construction) than just taking the streets.
I've worked in all kinds of places in MKE... Downtown, Sussex, Oak Creek, Tosa... I always preferred the streets.

Question... How did this thread turn into Baltimore talk for like... Five pages?

Old 05-30-2015, 04:57 PM

11 posts, read 23,579 times
To the people spouting off random statistics from... god knows where.. I will believe the list from the original post any day because it takes allot of different things into consideration. Also it is from a more credible source than "mazeman"

If anyone has driven around in Milwaukee's north side you will see why we are number 2 on the list. This is a personal problem, not a political problem (lots of people love the blame game nowadays). Allot of children without a proper role model in their lives and so they pickup what their peers say or do. I get crime happens in every city, but I have yet to see a city more run down than Milwaukee. When you work so hard to create wonderful benefits for the poor a funny thing happens, more poor move in...

Random observation but i see allot of Texas emission stickers on cars on the north side. My theory is that allot of the crime from LA (after Hurricane Katrina) moved to Houston. Seeing that Texas actually takes a stand on crime they come up here looking for easy money with far less consequences. The local drug trade cannot handle this many new criminals/ dealers so problems arise over turf wars and gangs. This is my theory and you can feel free to tell me to pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or