Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 39,224 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to Milwaukee in June and have heard that the North Shore is a nice area to live. I haven't had the chance to make the trip up to MKE to look around for myself and I was wondering if anyone could describe the inner-ring suburbs especially Whitefish Bay, Shorewood, River Hills and Fox Point. What are the main differences (if any) between these towns? Are some more typically suburban than others? I'm also interested in the 53211 zip code as well and was wondering what neighborhood that would be. My family and I enjoy more urban rather than suburban style living, but we aren't looking to live in a new condo building. I'd prefer a nice older, historic house. Any suggestions of other neighborhoods to check out would be appreciated!

Also, I've heard good things about the University School of Milwaukee. Would you consider it to be the best school in MKE? What other private schools should I look into? I have children in elementary, middle and high school so any school suggestions would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
The whole North Shore is quite nice, indeed. Of the communities you list, Shorewood is by far the most urban--it lies in the 53211 zip code, which also includes Milwaukee's Upper East Side (the UWM area). There are plenty of nice homes in 53211, and the ones closer to the lake tend to be more historic and architecturally interesting (more expensive, too). Shorewood is the most densely populated community in the state of Wisconsin, and much of the vibe centers on upscale retail and restaurant business. Most of the historic homes are located east of Oakland Ave. and north of Capitol Dr., and depending on where exactly you live, you may be able to walk to coffeeshops, restaurants, a bookstore, etc.

The rest of 53211 (in Milwaukee proper) has many nice homes to the east and south of the UWM campus (which borders on Shorewood), but the areas south of campus (and in the somewhat less historically interesting districts west of campus) have more students and renters (and are thus noisier and geared twoard the twenty-somethings). You'll probably want to target homes east of Downer Ave. if you consider the Milwaukee section of 53211.

Whitefish Bay is a bit more suburban than Shorewood, but still has a very urban center. Silver Spring Dr. has nice restaurants, a grocery, coffeeshops, various retail.... and there are many historic homes on either side of the Avenue, especially east of Marlborough and toward the lake. Another feature of WFB is the Bayshore Town Center, technically in adjacent Glendale, which also has many restaurants, coffeeshops, clothing stores, fitness centers, a Trader Joe's, etc. If you have a house near Silver Spring, you'll be able to walk to those venues.

Fox Point and Bayside are much more suburban, and Fox Point especially has many historic homes, esp. to the east of Lake Drive. Port Washington Rd. has some retail and business, especially around the intersection with Brown Deer Rd., but it really isn't as pedestrian-friendly as the areas in WFB and Shorewood. Also, Fox Point's historic homes (near the lake) are not in walking distance to the Port Wash Rd retail. Bayside is pretty much the same, though it has even fewer historic homes.

River Hills is the most prestigious suburb in the Milwaukee area, and house design and pricing reflects that. You won't be able to walk to too many places, though if you get a house near the University School, your kids could perhaps walk there. (The campus is kind of large, though, and there are some fairly busy streets around it.) Whereas the other communities you mention have a mix of middle class, upper-middle class, and upper class residents, River Hills is more specifically upper-middle and upper class.

There is a lot of "old money" in River Hills, though Fox Point (and to a lesser extent, WFB and Shorewood) has its share, too. Shorewood and Whitefish Bay have a strong presence of academic residents (professors, deans, etc.), whereas Fox Point, Bayside, and River Hills have a higher proportion of the metro's business elite. Perhaps not surprisingly, Shorewood is considered very politically and socially liberal, and WFB and FP are more mixed in that regard. Bayside leans more on the conservative side, and River Hills has a fairly conservative rep (though there are some "limousine liberals" there).

The University School is definitely the most prestigious private school in the Mke area, and it has a great reputation. The public schools for the North Shore communities you mention are quite good, however, at least as far as public schools go. (That is, selection of students at public schools is via real estate and segregation by socio-economic class, whereas selection at places like the University School is via testing and ability to pay tuition.) I know a couple of people who attend USM, and they like it. The academic curriculum is fairly traditional, but not stuffy, and there is (as with all prep schools) a big emphasis on sports and other extracurriculars in addition to college-prep studies.

Last edited by Empidonax; 01-12-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 39,224 times
Wow!! I couldn't have asked for a more informative or helpful response. Thanks so much! I can't wait to make a trip up to Milwaukee and check these areas out!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,740 times
Shorewood sounds the most like what you are seeking. It is suburban but much more urban in feel than the others. Also, all of the North Shore burbs are much closer to the city than many other parts of town. I'd try the Lower East Side which borders Shorewood to the South, Shorewood itself, and if still no luck, Whitefish Bay to the North, but Whitefish Bay is very suburban.

All of those areas mentioned have good public and private schools in and near there.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 AM

396 posts, read 1,698,528 times
Just wanted to comment that I have heard nothing but great things about the University School. Further out in the suburbs Brookfield Academy(Brookfield) and University Lake School(Hartland) are excellent private schools as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,740 times
There are good public schools as well. You asked for private and people covered some of them. Marquette high School, all boys, 9-12 is a very strong private high school as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE2008 View Post
We're considering a move to Milwaukee in June and have heard that the North Shore is a nice area to live. I haven't had the chance to make the trip up to MKE to look around for myself and I was wondering if anyone could describe the inner-ring suburbs especially Whitefish Bay, Shorewood, River Hills and Fox Point. What are the main differences (if any) between these towns? Are some more typically suburban than others? I'm also interested in the 53211 zip code as well and was wondering what neighborhood that would be. My family and I enjoy more urban rather than suburban style living, but we aren't looking to live in a new condo building. I'd prefer a nice older, historic house. Any suggestions of other neighborhoods to check out would be appreciated!

Also, I've heard good things about the University School of Milwaukee. Would you consider it to be the best school in MKE? What other private schools should I look into? I have children in elementary, middle and high school so any school suggestions would be helpful!
Having lived in Shorewood, 53211 (twice) and Fox Point (twice), I can comment pretty accurately on some of the questions you have.

53211: I lived on a historic street, in an early 1900s house near Lake Park. This zip code is full of homes like it. I also lived in a high density condominium complex in 53211, which I also enjoyed for different reasons, like underground parking and more modern amenities. You can have either, but just because it is a city neighborhood does not mean you must live in high rise or high-density condominiums. The 53211 area of Milwaukee is very appealing in terms of location. I used to walk to restaurants and bars galore. I never drove anywhere, in fact, except to work. It also has great and easy access to Lake Michigan and neighboring parks, bike trails, etc.

Shorewood: A lot like 53211 in terms of homes and environment, but with its own boundaries for schools and services. Shorewood has a really nice downtown, probably my favorite of the North Shore suburbs. Has its own high school. Many home choices, from smaller to very very large and pricey. The worst home in Shorewood is still in a great neighborhood. You can walk everywhere in Shorewood, from Lake Michigan to all corners (I like walking though... you may think it is a little bit of a stretch).

Whitefish Bay: Again, nice suburb, appealing downtown area. Has its own high school. Nice houses, big range of choices, no bad neighborhoods. Whitefish Bay is very close to the new Bay Shore Town Center, which is a village-style outdoor shopping area. It is much like the development I live at in Arizona, high end retail, dining, etc. Great news for WFB, although they may not like the added traffic.

Fox Point: More sleepy than WFB or Shorewood, newer houses. I lived just off of Lake Drive in a 50s house with a tree-lined yard with a private pond. It really was a beautiful environment. Nice place, built well, very private surroundings. Good schools, but high school is Nicolet High School, which is fed by Glendale, River Hills, Bayside, and Fox Point. Academically it is a good school, but based on the communities it serves, I feel it should be better. Like WFB and Shorewood, Nicolet ranked in the top 800 in the nation, in that order, with Whitefish Bay taking the 3rd highest rank in WI, followed by Shorewood and Nicolet.

Taxes: They're not good--anywhere in the above communities.

I think the bottom line is, all of the places you have cited are safe, nice, appealing, have a great standard of living, and would make a nice place to live. They each have their own unique qualities.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 14,862 times
Glendale is a really nice place to live. Cost of living is a little high but that doesn't matter if you like great schools, nice people, good jobs, and nice neighborhoods. Not many condos, townhouses, or apartments. if your buying a house their r plenty here between 150k to 350k depending in the area. trust me i k i hav livd in Glendale for about 8 years now its a really nice place and its so diverse their are blacks and whites and many jews, catholics, ect...

Old 05-30-2009, 07:31 PM

57 posts, read 209,522 times
If you look for housing in the 53211 area, be aware of which areas are in the Shorewood school district and which are in the Milwaukee Public School district. You would probably want to send your kids to private school if you end up in the area south of Shorewood, unless you can get into certain magnet schools. University School draws from all over the metro area, not just the north shore areas...not too convenient when your little ones make friends with someone who lives clear across town! Play dates require a bit of planning when that is the case.

If you have specific questions about USM, I'd be happy to answer them.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 9,791 times
dollar for dollar, you get "more" for your buck staying out of Milwaukee especialy if you have kids. Even if i were the poorest of poor. Id find a cheap apartment just so my kids can get the world class education that the north shore offers without the negitive dilemmas stifleing milwaukee public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee