Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 AM

254 posts, read 983,207 times

Advertisements

We have a job opportunity in Appleton Wisconsin, which was SO not impressive to me, so we may commute from Milwaukee. I need good schools, with some diversity, I have 3 kids, 4-5 bd room house,300,000-400000, something on the north side, as close to Appleton as possible, where should I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,434 times
I would look in the following cities.

Menominee falls, Just north west of Milwaukee. good schools, a bit suburban, but very close to Milwaukee and right on the freeway to Appleton. It's still about a 100 mile drive though.

West Bend, 30 miles north of Milwaukee. It's really it's own place, not a suburb but a town of about 60,000. very nice downtown area. Every thing you need and still close to the culture of a big city.

Consider Green Bay, 23 miles north of Appleton. Diverse population, night life.

I lived in Appleton and I must say that I was impressed after a while. The fox Valley area has some 500,000 residents but feels much smaller. Lawrance university brings a lot of culture to the area being a highly noted art school. definatly a diverse student body from all over the world. The area is ripe with rivers and lakes making it a very scenic place. I found that most people I came across there were transplants form other parts of the mid west.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Coming from Cincinnati, and having a handle of "Cincy Lifer" I'm sure anything smaller than metro Milwaukee itself wouldn't be a good fit. Cincy and Milwaukee are somewhat comparable metros.

It is easier to head up 41 on Milwaukee's NW side to Appleton rather than the North burbs, however you can do it from both. I'd look at metro Milwaukee itself and see where you like the most and start with some areas that are slightly more North or are close to the couple of hwys that head that way but, due to Milwaukee's compact size, there isn't going to be much difference in adding a small amount of distance in the commute.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Cincy and Milwaukee are somewhat comparable metros.
I actually think Cincinnati and Milwaukee are very similar cities overall. They're about the same size and have very similar demographics. Their downtown areas are quite similar, they both have significant social problems, but both have seen great improvements in the downtown areas and inner neighborhoods. Both cities have major multinational corporations. Milwaukee has a great lakeside parks and Cincinnati has great riverside parks. Milwaukee has the small market Brewers and the Cincinnati has the small market Reds. Cincinnati has chili and Milwaukee has beer and brats. Cincinnati has WKRP and Milwaukee has Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley.

The big difference is that Cincinnati has more of a southern influence while Milwaukee is solidly upper Midwest. So there are cultural differences. But if someone asked me which American city was the most like Milwaukee, I would have to go with Cincinnati.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM

28 posts, read 210,678 times
If you want to stay close to Milw I say Germantown(1:15 drive), West Bend(exurb)(1 hour drive), Mequon(1:30drive), Menomonee Falls(1:30drive).
Hartford(1:30)

Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 AM

3 posts, read 15,965 times
I know what you mean about Appleton, but is wasting that much of your life commuting really worth it? The neat thing about that city is that the fascinating, quirky people and activities are quite united and strong (they have to be). There's an absolutely incredible farmer's market all summer with art and live music, good events at Lawrence University and the city's performing arts center, and niches of great artists, writers, musicians. It's very subdued, but it's there. And yes, definitely get your needs met by hanging out in Milwaukee and Chicago every once in a while. I think if you end up living in between in one of those dull suburban commuter areas in between or outside Milwaukee, you might not be any happier. But keep feeling it out, only you will know what works best for your situation. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,714,750 times
I kind of agree with the last poster. I wouldn't really want to live in Appleton (it is just too small for my tastes) but I surely wouldn't want to commute from Milwaukee metro every day - even the far northern reaches - to and fro Appleton. That is a long drive if doing it for work. Just think of the crazy amount of gas $$ that would be spent. And in inclement weather (snow, ice, etc.) which is pretty common in this area for many months, that would make that drive nuts.

I see your logic behind why you'd want to do it, but it is a lonnnnggg way (not to mention the time driving).

Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
No one has suggested Brown Deer,WI. It's close to Milwaukee and very diverse for a suburb or MKE. It is also safe according to the statistics I looked up on city-data.com.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 14,598 times
Default Germantown, wi

Might be moving there, what can anyone tell me about the area, schools, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee