Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 05:54 PM

231 posts, read 401,844 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee is famous for Germans and my impression is that Germans are to Milwaukee what Poles are to Chicago, Irish are to Boston, and Jews and Italians are to NYC...

I like european culture and I am a big fan of the Germans. Any areas in or around Milwaukee with lots of genuine German culture. Not disneyfied/gentrified but an actual neighborhood with european culture. Particularly German but if there is a polish area tell me about it as well. I looked and together Germans and Poles are 40% of Milwaukee county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 05:47 PM

223 posts, read 391,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
Milwaukee is famous for Germans and my impression is that Germans are to Milwaukee what Poles are to Chicago, Irish are to Boston, and Jews and Italians are to NYC...
You'd be correct about this. Unfortunatley, the only German culture you'll find here is (as you put it) Dinseyfied/gentrified because of the anti-German hysteria wrought by the two world wars. Amongst other things, it's why the Deutscher Club is now called the Wisconsin Club, and why the emphasis on "New Berlin" is on the second syllable rather than the third.

I do think there are some places on the southside where you might find authentic Polish culture, but someone who's more familiar with the southside could probably tell you better than me.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:08 PM

260 posts, read 218,175 times
Germans are so intermixed having been in the US so long,that it's hard to find much German culture.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 PM

231 posts, read 401,844 times
Oh okay. Germans are one of the most "American" ethnicities of the Ellis Island immigrants. I think they are the single largest white ancestry, larger than Englush/WASP etc. I remember reading an article about how well integrated German Americans are, it was called "German Americans, the silent majority".

Is there any European culture or ethnic neighborhoods left at all? The first answer on this thread was Polish and since Poles still come to the United States so I figure that their neighborhoods stay intact for more generations.

What's the Milwaukee Polish neighborhood? I will be honest I am not too familiar with the Poles (even though the factory where I work is majority Polish immigrants) as compared to the Getmans, the Irish and of course Italian (my ethnic background) but I would like to learn and it would be cool to live in a Polish ethnic enclave.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 AM

78 posts, read 229,278 times
Milwaukee doesn't have much in the way of ethnic enclaves or neighborhoods the way that, say, New York does. The european immigrants have essentially assimilated into the larger culture. Historically most of the Polish immigrants to Milwaukee settled on the south side. St. Stanislaus was the main Polish Catholic church. Now this area of the city is predominantly Hispanic. I believe the St. Francis/Cudahy/South Milwaukee area now has the city's last remaining Polish restaurant (Polonez) and church that does a Polish mass (in South Milwaukee.) But it's nothing like a NYC ethnic neighborhood where you go down the street and there is nothing but Polish shops.

As far as German, I think the closest thing you are going to get is the suburb Germantown. On the surface it looks much like any generic suburb, but many of the "old school" long-time German & Austrian families live in that area, and there are several German cultural groups based out of that side of town.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:20 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
My dad lived in Milwaukee. He was born there,and then later in the 1920s they moved to Hot Springs so grandpa could manage a couple of stores his father had. Later on in the early 30s they moved back as grandma thought things might be better back home. My grandfather got a job working the meat counter at Goldman's Department store which was mainly patronized by poles. Think it was near St.Stanislaus. My dad lived on 16th street. The neighborhood was composed of germans,czechs and poles. Where my great aunt Erica lived(grandma's sister) that's now a black neighborhood,when it used to be german and eastern european. I don't think there are any parts of the city that are exclusively german anymore. New Braunfels , and Fredricksburg Texas still preserve their german heritage, but i think over the years Milwaukee has lots its german flavour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee