Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 11,157 times

Advertisements

We moved from Austin Texas 2 years ago and one of the things we miss most is Gateway Community Church. We have tried several churches in the area but can't find one that both my husband and I like. We are Christian - non-denominational would be best, but something very progressive, with rocking music, no dress code, very open to new members, great kid ministry ....

Looking for someone to say 'you have to try my church, it has changed my life' because that is what we had back in Austin. The church also needs to help the community and offer active small groups for relationship building.

We live in Mequon and would like to drive less than 40 minutes for this great church!! Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM

18 posts, read 119,269 times
I would consider Hales Corners Lutheran church. It is the largest missourri synod church with over 7,000 members.(many are not active) It has many small ministry groups for basically anyone. A new beautiful comunity center just opened a month ago. It has a large gymnasium, walking track above, and a weight room. As for the church itself it is very modern and uses more technology than any church i have ever been in. The pastors are very open and the church is very casual. Many people walk in with jeans and a collar is only necessary for 1 or 2 of the time slots. There is a worship on wednesday, saturday, and 4 on sunday. Since you are located in mequon it would be a 30-40 minute drive since it is located on the opposite side of the metro area.
here is the link: Relation Equation*-*Hales Corners Lutheran Church (http://www.hcl.org/index.php - broken link)

Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 AM

151 posts, read 705,266 times
Elmbrook Church in Brookfield seems like it would meet your needs perfectly!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,661 times
Christian Faith Fellowship church~ This is my church home but with the amount of traveling I've had to do I haven't had the opportunity to go and I miss it terribly.

Christian Faith Fellowship Church
Darrel Hines Ministries - Welcome
Pamela Hines

Quote:
Originally Posted by danadavid View Post
We moved from Austin Texas 2 years ago and one of the things we miss most is Gateway Community Church. We have tried several churches in the area but can't find one that both my husband and I like. We are Christian - non-denominational would be best, but something very progressive, with rocking music, no dress code, very open to new members, great kid ministry ....

Looking for someone to say 'you have to try my church, it has changed my life' because that is what we had back in Austin. The church also needs to help the community and offer active small groups for relationship building.

We live in Mequon and would like to drive less than 40 minutes for this great church!! Thanks for your input!

Last edited by Bjones1976; 01-17-2008 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 PM

115 posts, read 795,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbleeke View Post
I would consider Hales Corners Lutheran church. It is the largest missourri synod church with over 7,000 members.(many are not active) It has many small ministry groups for basically anyone. A new beautiful comunity center just opened a month ago. It has a large gymnasium, walking track above, and a weight room. As for the church itself it is very modern and uses more technology than any church i have ever been in. The pastors are very open and the church is very casual. Many people walk in with jeans and a collar is only necessary for 1 or 2 of the time slots. There is a worship on wednesday, saturday, and 4 on sunday. Since you are located in mequon it would be a 30-40 minute drive since it is located on the opposite side of the metro area.
here is the link: Relation Equation - Hales Corners Lutheran Church (http://www.hcl.org/index.php - broken link)
+1 for Hales Corners Lutheran. They have a nearly endless array of opportunities for both adults and children, and their school system is very good. I grew up in a very conservative Lutheran church (that one was Wisconsin Synod) and by the time I reached adulthood I was turned off by everything they stood for. HCL has revitalized my interest in religion. It is certainly unlike any other Lutheran church.

That being said, since you are non-denominational I would also recommend you check out Elmbrook Church in Brookfield.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,348 times
Good Luck!!! Milwaukee is spiritually dead. Most people are just christians on Sunday and that's it. People in Wisconsin care more about the Packers than God. Sorry but it is true!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 PM

115 posts, read 795,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Good Luck!!! Milwaukee is spiritually dead. Most people are just christians on Sunday and that's it. People in Wisconsin care more about the Packers than God. Sorry but it is true!!!
Hey no fair!! There's still February - July while the Packers are not playing.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 23,071 times
If you find it please let us know! We are re-locating in the near (we pray) future to milwaukee and would like to find the same kind of church. We lived in Weatherford and San Angelo before moving to Lima and we miss the kind of "come as you are" worship we found out there.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,592,508 times
With strong and committed beliefs, any church would suffice.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM

27 posts, read 80,684 times
Epikos on the East Side. Amazing people started this non-denominational church on the East Side less than 5 years ago. It has grown from a small group to filling the Prespyterian Church that they meet at and have started a second weekend service. It is small-group oriented and has an amazing worship band. The pastors are all inspiring, personable, and great teachers who really understand God's word. Because of their location to UWM, it is heavily attended by college students. But it seems like young people (20-early 30s) come from all over the city and many families are starting to come. Growth is their objective, and family/children ministries are something they would really like to start. I hope you've had a successful move and have found a church. If not- give Epikos a shot. You'll love it as much as I miss it now that I moved to Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee