U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:32 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,506,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
How come every thread that OP makes is about dangerous cities LOL
If you've been robbed at gunpoint and have been the victim of violent crime like I have been, I think you would be the same way too. So I'm looking for a "safe" city to move to. Who knows...maybe Wausau, LaCrosse, Appleton, Eau Claire or Sheboygen. There among the safest in the entire country.

Wisconsin Claims Top Five Safest Midwest Cities, Wausau #1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 02:38 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,174,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
If you've been robbed at gunpoint and have been the victim of violent crime like I have been, I think you would be the same way too. So I'm looking for a "safe" city to move to. Who knows...maybe Wausau, LaCrosse, Appleton, Eau Claire or Sheboygen. There among the safest in the entire country.

While they're technically (from political structure) they are cities, aren't cities as people think of them.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:33 PM

16,467 posts, read 7,719,295 times
Quote:

You don't want to live in Sheboygan. Weird people, just sayin'. As far as cities, like Timberline said, no one would call those others that you listed as cities. Doesn't matter if it's technically a city, we all know what we mean when we say "city". Those aren't it.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:09 AM

2,484 posts, read 4,598,043 times
Quote:

These cities are statistically safer than Milwaukee, but the actual safety you experience will depend in large part on the neighborhood you live and play in. Sheboygan, for example, has some relatively rough areas, though it is a nice smaller city overall. LaCrosse, Appleton, and Eau Claire have neighborhoods that are relatively less safe than others-- tread with caution. Of these last three, I prefer LaCrosse. Other small Wisconsin cities I like are Stevens Point and Baraboo.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,366,028 times
Quote:

Sorry about your experience, but if you're from a major metropolitan area, cities like Sheboygan and Wausau are going to seem awfully dull in no time. In any state, there are small cities that are 95%+ inhabited by natives, and largely exist for just these people, and you'd feel like a fish out of water very quickly. Madison is mid-sized, and houses a major US state university, and draws students from all corners of gthe nation, and more than a few countries. Other smaller cities aren't going to have these advantages..

Old 05-02-2015, 05:41 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,398,106 times
I was born and raised in Milwaukee... Then moved to Appleton when I was 22.

I did not feel like a "fish out of water"... Even after two years of living there. It was considerably safer and cheaper than Milwaukee. The Fox River Mall was great for shopping and I loved going to the Timber Rattlers games. The bars / pubs on College Ave are fantastic if you are into dive/chill bars.

I had to relocate back to Milwaukee where I lived for another four years before moving out of state... However, if I had to move back to Wisconsin, it would be to Appleton and not Milwaukee.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:14 PM

223 posts, read 337,050 times
Quote:

I grew up in Milwaukee attending public schools and have been though and seen things you can't even imagine. And I STILL say Milwaukee is an incredibly safe city, especially when you can afford to live east of the freeway, or far out west.

People seriously need to learn more constructive ways of dealing with their fear. To obsess over it the way people do when it comes to Milwaukee is a little pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I was born and raised in Milwaukee... Then moved to Appleton when I was 22.

I did not feel like a "fish out of water"... Even after two years of living there. It was considerably safer and cheaper than Milwaukee. The Fox River Mall was great for shopping and I loved going to the Timber Rattlers games. The bars / pubs on College Ave are fantastic if you are into dive/chill bars.

I had to relocate back to Milwaukee where I lived for another four years before moving out of state... However, if I had to move back to Wisconsin, it would be to Appleton and not Milwaukee.
Appleton is fine if you're a ragingly hetero white Christian (and preferably male), but for many of us who don't fit that exact description, Appleton is not an option.

Last edited by MKEastsider; 05-03-2015 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 07:05 AM

38,727 posts, read 29,174,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post

Appleton is fine if you're a ragingly hetero white Christian (and preferably male), but for many of us who don't fit that exact description, Appleton is not an option.

That doesn't sound desirable at all. I'm guessing vanilla norm is part of that equation.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:05 PM

519 posts, read 651,208 times
The people that are giving rude and sarcastic responses to the OP are obviously typically provincial Wisconsinites that consider a trip to Chicago "seeing the rest of the country."

In Wisconsin, bigger does usually equal badder as far as city/metro population and crime go. However, this is not always the case in many parts of the country. Has anyone ever heard of Anniston Alabama? It has a population of 23,000, is not part of a larger metro area and also has a ridiculously high crime rate.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...n-Alabama.html

So, for someone that is not familiar with the area there is nothing wrong with wondering why one metro area/city has quite a bit of crime and the others have very little. Its actually a pretty reasonable question that could inspire reasonable debate among reasonable and open minded people.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:49 PM

223 posts, read 337,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
The people that are giving rude and sarcastic responses to the OP are obviously typically provincial Wisconsinites that consider a trip to Chicago "seeing the rest of the country."

In Wisconsin, bigger does usually equal badder as far as city/metro population and crime go. However, this is not always the case in many parts of the country. Has anyone ever heard of Anniston Alabama? It has a population of 23,000, is not part of a larger metro area and also has a ridiculously high crime rate.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...n-Alabama.html

So, for someone that is not familiar with the area there is nothing wrong with wondering why one metro area/city has quite a bit of crime and the others have very little. Its actually a pretty reasonable question that could inspire reasonable debate among reasonable and open minded people.
So you're going to throw everyone with a different point of view under the bus as being "provincial," then call for everyone to be "reasonable and open minded?"

Yeah... okay....

Also, I'm pretty sure most Wisconsinites know that Beloit and Gary exist. Get off your high horse.

Last edited by MKEastsider; 05-05-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee