U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 PM

223 posts, read 338,119 times

Advertisements

Hey... what was that about the Fox Valley being so much better and safer than Milwaukee?

Police: 4 dead, including suspect, in Menasha shooting

Here's a debate for "reasonable and open minded" people. If Milwaukee is so dangerous and terrible, why do we not have mass shootings of the type that have happened in Oak Creek, Brookfield, and now Menasha?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 06:52 PM

519 posts, read 653,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
Hey... what was that about the Fox Valley being so much better and safer than Milwaukee?

Police: 4 dead, including suspect, in Menasha shooting

Here's a debate for "reasonable and open minded" people. If Milwaukee is so dangerous and terrible, why do we not have mass shootings of the type that have happened in Oak Creek, Brookfield, and now Menasha?
Since you asked...

Those three random events took place over the course of just about three years and cover a span of over 100 miles. In that time, Milwaukee has had well over 300 homicides, all of which took place within a 10 mile radius.

While Mass shootings are terrible and tragic, there is no established pattern in which they occur. The same cannot be said of homicides in Milwaukee. It's a nice talking point to say that the violent crime is contained within a few small areas of the city. The homicide maps beg to differ:

News - Crime - Homicide Tracker - JSOnline.com

Prior to the incidents in 2012, Oak Creek had gone seven years without a homicide and Brookfield five. I believe the recent incident was Menasha's first homicide since 2008.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:43 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,611,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Since you asked...

It's a nice talking point to say that the violent crime is contained within a few small areas of the city. The homicide maps beg to differ:
They occur mostly in one big area of the city (near north side) and in some smaller areas. There are significant sections of the north side, east side, downtown, west side, and south side that don't show homicides on the map. Also, there's the sad truth that the victims of the homicides tend to be youngish black males. No one seems to be going after the Brewer's Hill yuppies, the Bay View blue collars or the middle class families in Story Hill.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:45 PM

223 posts, read 338,119 times
Quote:
Since you asked...

Those three random events took place over the course of just about three years and cover a span of over 100 miles. In that time, Milwaukee has had well over 300 homicides, all of which took place within a 10 mile radius.

While Mass shootings are terrible and tragic, there is no established pattern in which they occur.
That's a "nice little talking point" too (and a great example of Minnesota passive aggression on your part), but we all know that mass shootings tend to happen in predominantly white areas where everyone thinks "things like that don't happen here," and are usually committed by white men (operative word is "usually," before you start in with obvious exceptions like Virginia Tech or the DC sniper).

Frankly, I'm not sure what your point about the 100 miles is. Are there actually any significant differences between Brookfield, Oak Creek, and Menasha demographically or culturally?

Quote:
The same cannot be said of homicides in Milwaukee. It's a nice talking point to say that the violent crime is contained within a few small areas of the city. The homicide maps beg to differ:

Prior to the incidents in 2012, Oak Creek had gone seven years without a homicide and Brookfield five. I believe the recent incident was Menasha's first homicide since 2008.
Actually, your map just proved my point. I counted exactly three homicides east of the freeway... the most densely populated part of the city that would be bigger than every other city in Wisconsin if it were its own city (with the possible exception of Madison).

I also counted only 6 homicides south of the freeway. In short... you're reaching.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM

4,207 posts, read 5,720,536 times
Milwaukee dangerous? Ha ha ha no. You want to see danger just drive south an hour or so.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:50 PM

519 posts, read 653,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Milwaukee dangerous? Ha ha ha no. You want to see danger just drive south an hour or so.
Actually, the crime rates in Milwaukee and Chicago are strikingly similar, even using a decade plus sample size:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Wisconsin.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

As far as the homicides that have taken place east and south of the freeway. I'm not too impressed that there's "only" been 9 homicides in those areas through the first four months of the year. As of May 1st, the entire city of Minneapolis (including the 'hood) had a total of 8 homicides.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:54 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,394,876 times
Laverne and Shirley have long since taken their act to Waukesha, since the breweries no longer have such a strong foothold in the city..

Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 AM

8,794 posts, read 6,562,073 times
Becase Lenny And Squiggy are bad dudes.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:31 PM

16,490 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Quote:
Since you asked...

While Mass shootings are terrible and tragic, there is no established pattern in which they occur. The same cannot be said of homicides in Milwaukee. It's a nice talking point to say that the violent crime is contained within a few small areas of the city. The homicide maps beg to differ:

But do you live here? You don't, right? Anyone can look at stats & gasp 'MURDER CAPITOL! DANGER!!" but if you don't actually live in said city, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Is there crime in Milwaukee? Uh, yeah. Duh, it's a city. Is there a lot of crime? Sure, and it happens in usually one certain area, the inner city/parts of the north side. The people who actually LIVE here aren't denying there is crime, no matter how many times a certain poster on here wants to accuse us of doing. What we are realistic about, since we actually LIVE here, is where the crime is happening. And where the crime is happening is continually in a specific area of the city. News: just like any other city in every city of the world. Do I walk around cowering in fear every single time I leave my house? No, because since I LIVE here I KNOW where the more dangerous areas are & I KNOW to keep my eyes open. In fact, I WORK in said area of crime. I'm wary when I go in the area but I'm not a cry baby & I don't walk or talk like a target. Honestly, the way some people post on here, I question whether they've ever left the sanctity of their own home. I don't know how certain people get on in life if they view the world as such a dangerous place.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:03 PM

251 posts, read 310,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
But do you live here? You don't, right? Anyone can look at stats & gasp 'MURDER CAPITOL! DANGER!!" but if you don't actually live in said city, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Is there crime in Milwaukee? Uh, yeah. Duh, it's a city. Is there a lot of crime? Sure, and it happens in usually one certain area, the inner city/parts of the north side. The people who actually LIVE here aren't denying there is crime, no matter how many times a certain poster on here wants to accuse us of doing. What we are realistic about, since we actually LIVE here, is where the crime is happening. And where the crime is happening is continually in a specific area of the city. News: just like any other city in every city of the world. Do I walk around cowering in fear every single time I leave my house? No, because since I LIVE here I KNOW where the more dangerous areas are & I KNOW to keep my eyes open. In fact, I WORK in said area of crime. I'm wary when I go in the area but I'm not a cry baby & I don't walk or talk like a target. Honestly, the way some people post on here, I question whether they've ever left the sanctity of their own home. I don't know how certain people get on in life if they view the world as such a dangerous place.
Thanks for stating this. If I see one more question asking if a certain area is safe, I am going to scream!
I have grown up here (in 53206, the most dangerous) and I don't deny there is crime; but I will be damned if it stops me from living in and loving the city itself. Random acts of crime can happen anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee