U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM
 
Location: RI, MA, VT, WI, IL, CA, IN (that one sucked), KY
38,727 posts, read 29,129,078 times
Reputation: 36261

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Milwaukee dangerous? Ha ha ha no. You want to see danger just drive south an hour or so.


See. I lived in Chicago, and it's not dangerous either. Is there a dangerous area? Sure, but like Milwaukee it is someplace almost none of us would go because there is no reason to go there (unless you're a drug buyer or a social worker). I've lived in, and spent a fair amount of additional time in, Chicago and it was nice as can be.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2015, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Southwest Minneapolis
519 posts, read 650,342 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
But do you live here? You don't, right? Anyone can look at stats & gasp 'MURDER CAPITOL! DANGER!!" but if you don't actually live in said city, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Is there crime in Milwaukee? Uh, yeah. Duh, it's a city. Is there a lot of crime? Sure, and it happens in usually one certain area, the inner city/parts of the north side. The people who actually LIVE here aren't denying there is crime, no matter how many times a certain poster on here wants to accuse us of doing. What we are realistic about, since we actually LIVE here, is where the crime is happening. And where the crime is happening is continually in a specific area of the city. News: just like any other city in every city of the world. Do I walk around cowering in fear every single time I leave my house? No, because since I LIVE here I KNOW where the more dangerous areas are & I KNOW to keep my eyes open. In fact, I WORK in said area of crime. I'm wary when I go in the area but I'm not a cry baby & I don't walk or talk like a target. Honestly, the way some people post on here, I question whether they've ever left the sanctity of their own home. I don't know how certain people get on in life if they view the world as such a dangerous place.
I was born and raised in Milwaukee. I grew up in Riverwest and lived in the area up until about ten years ago, when I left by choice. My wife is also from Milwaukee and both of our families still live there. I have visited Milwaukee probably 5-6 times in the last six months. I am still intimately familiar with the city and often stay downtown when visiting.

So no, I'm not just reading stats. I lived in Milwaukee for nearly 25 years. I still spend lots of time there. We recently moved to Minneapolis from Boston for ONE reason. We wanted our daughter to be closer to family in Milwaukee and other parts of Wisconsin, but had no desire to live in Milwaukee.

I would argue that I'm in a much more objective position than most. I have nothing against Milwaukee, but I am very aware of the pros and cons it offers. For me, there are much better places to live. The actual and perceived safety of the urban areas of Milwaukee are a big part of that. There isn't a single neighborhood within the city limits of Milwaukee that can offer the combination of amenities, schools, family friendly feel and yes, relative SAFETY that we have in the neighborhood we live in in the city of Minneapolis.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Minnesota (Blaine)
4,200 posts, read 5,701,430 times
Reputation: 5165
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
See. I lived in Chicago, and it's not dangerous either. Is there a dangerous area? Sure, but like Milwaukee it is someplace almost none of us would go because there is no reason to go there (unless you're a drug buyer or a social worker). I've lived in, and spent a fair amount of additional time in, Chicago and it was nice as can be.
Oh for sure, Chi Town has some wonderful areas. Most danger encountered (to me) would be strictly related to Driving in that traffic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Bay View, Milwaukee
2,483 posts, read 4,593,146 times
Reputation: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post

So no, I'm not just reading stats. I lived in Milwaukee for nearly 25 years. I still spend lots of time there. We recently moved to Minneapolis from Boston for ONE reason. We wanted our daughter to be closer to family in Milwaukee and other parts of Wisconsin, but had no desire to live in Milwaukee.
And Minneapolis was the next best place you could find close to the city of Milwaukee? Not even an inner-ring suburb of Milwaukee (like Shorewood or Whitefish Bay) or Madison? Or Evanston, IL? Or anywhere else in the vastness of Chicagoland? Really?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 PM
 
223 posts, read 336,767 times
Reputation: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
I was born and raised in Milwaukee. I grew up in Riverwest and lived in the area up until about ten years ago, when I left by choice. My wife is also from Milwaukee and both of our families still live there. I have visited Milwaukee probably 5-6 times in the last six months. I am still intimately familiar with the city and often stay downtown when visiting.

So no, I'm not just reading stats. I lived in Milwaukee for nearly 25 years. I still spend lots of time there. We recently moved to Minneapolis from Boston for ONE reason. We wanted our daughter to be closer to family in Milwaukee and other parts of Wisconsin, but had no desire to live in Milwaukee.

I would argue that I'm in a much more objective position than most. I have nothing against Milwaukee, but I am very aware of the pros and cons it offers. For me, there are much better places to live. The actual and perceived safety of the urban areas of Milwaukee are a big part of that. There isn't a single neighborhood within the city limits of Milwaukee that can offer the combination of amenities, schools, family friendly feel and yes, relative SAFETY that we have in the neighborhood we live in in the city of Minneapolis.
Riiiiight....

Look, if you like it in Minneapolis and it's working for you, more power to you. But just because you chose to live like a child-rearing normal doesn't give you any type of moral or ethical authority to foist your decisions upon the rest of us. Particularly those of us who don't have the same priorities as you, or perhaps can't afford to just pack up and move to another state.

And frankly, you come off as a petty contrarian in most of your comments here. Especially when (if you're truly from Milwaukee as you claim) you of all people should know how deeply the anti-urban sentiment and racial resentment runs in other parts of Wisconsin, and how that informs people's perceptions of Milwaukee in ways it doesn't in Minneapolis.

No one ever said Milwaukee was perfect, but all things considered, Milwaukee has actually done quite well for itself. Especially over the past decade and some change. It has also done so despite having to overcome a level of political hostility from its suburbs and the rest of the state that Minneapolis has never had to even think about. It's a shame that it seems so hard for you to acknowledge this.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2015, 12:16 PM
 
16,338 posts, read 7,682,997 times
Reputation: 15913
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
I was born and raised in Milwaukee. I grew up in Riverwest and lived in the area up until about ten years ago, when I left by choice. My wife is also from Milwaukee and both of our families still live there. I have visited Milwaukee probably 5-6 times in the last six months. I am still intimately familiar with the city and often stay downtown when visiting.

So no, I'm not just reading stats. I lived in Milwaukee for nearly 25 years. I still spend lots of time there. We recently moved to Minneapolis from Boston for ONE reason. We wanted our daughter to be closer to family in Milwaukee and other parts of Wisconsin, but had no desire to live in Milwaukee.

I would argue that I'm in a much more objective position than most. I have nothing against Milwaukee, but I am very aware of the pros and cons it offers. For me, there are much better places to live. The actual and perceived safety of the urban areas of Milwaukee are a big part of that. There isn't a single neighborhood within the city limits of Milwaukee that can offer the combination of amenities, schools, family friendly feel and yes, relative SAFETY that we have in the neighborhood we live in in the city of Minneapolis.
Great, glad you like Minneapolis. Can you tell me what that has to do with Milwaukee?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Buffalo, NY
44 posts, read 35,139 times
Reputation: 73
I am so sick and damned tired of all these small town hicks beating up on the big, major cities and their suburbs as well. These small towns have their crime, their drawbacks and their fair share of socioeconomic troubles. They are not perfect. There are many small towns and small cities throughout the U.S. that have higher crime rates than places like Wausau and Oshkosh. So stop beating up on Milwaukee, stop beating up on Detroit, stop beating up on Buffalo. Go beat up on your little, rinky dink towns because they sure have enough of their own serious problems. A big Archie Bunker raspberry cheer to the spineless, paranoid country bumpkin who thinks Milwaukee is like Rio de Janeiro.😁
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,396,548 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreskop View Post
I am so sick and damned tired of all these small town hicks beating up on the big, major cities and their suburbs as well. These small towns have their crime, their drawbacks and their fair share of socioeconomic troubles. They are not perfect. There are many small towns and small cities throughout the U.S. that have higher crime rates than places like Wausau and Oshkosh. So stop beating up on Milwaukee, stop beating up on Detroit, stop beating up on Buffalo. Go beat up on your little, rinky dink towns because they sure have enough of their own serious problems. A big Archie Bunker raspberry cheer to the spineless, paranoid country bumpkin who thinks Milwaukee is like Rio de Janeiro.��
Says the guy who hasn't been to Milwaukee since 1987.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,767,193 times
Reputation: 2914
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreskop View Post
There are many small towns and small cities throughout the U.S. that have higher crime rates than places like Wausau and Oshkosh. So stop beating up on Milwaukee, stop beating up on Detroit, stop beating up on Buffalo.
Dear milt - at least read through the whole post before jumping on your daily smear Milwaukee campaign. There will be other opportunities, I am sure.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2015, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
1,423 posts, read 1,396,548 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Dear milt - at least read through the whole post before jumping on your daily smear Milwaukee campaign. There will be other opportunities, I am sure.
Sounds good, keep calling me Milt... I'm sure that's been working out well for you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

Ā© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top