Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,630 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning on attending a concert at the Eagles ballroom. I'm not familiar with Milwaukee because I'm from Chicago. I will be making the drive alone and I'm definitely concerned about the crime in the area due to a negative experience I had about 7 years ago while making the same concert trip and somehow getting lost.

Long story short, I went up there with two buddies and somehow we missed our exit and ended up in what I'd consider a bad area. I don't remember what street or anything. I stopped at a gas station to ask for directions (mistake on my part), and when I came out, my car was surrounded by what was most likely gang bangers trying to sell us drugs. Before we knew it they had reached into my car and stole my friends cell phone. We finally managed to get out of the situation and drive off. I flagged down a cop to ask for directions out. He gave them to me and also mentioned that "we needed to get out of this neighborhood ASAP."

So yeah, this time I want to take any and all precautions necessary to avoid any trouble. According to the website, I should take I-94 to McKinley, turn right onto 6th street, then another right onto Wisconsin Ave.

My main question is, is that a safe route to take for someone driving alone at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:34 AM

448 posts, read 1,819,767 times
Yeah that route is safe. The concerts usually don't start really late so there should be plenty of other traffic. As far as stopping for help at gas stations, that really isn't a good idea. Generally people at gas stations don't know the area that well. Keep a good google maps printout with you showing streets and you should be fine.

The Eagles ballroom area still isn't the best but as long as you take precautions it should be a crime free experience. Stay around crowds and you should be fine. Don't leave the parking area alone or return to your car alone. Don't keep any valuables in your car. I regularly go into bad areas and even as a white guy have no problems. The key thing is to never appear helpless and be aware of your surroundings.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:01 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,434 times
The area is safe for your pursuits. However, as with any city and urban area, use your head when making decisions. Getting hammered and wondering around aimlessly in unfamiliar territory isn't a good idea for example. The venue is popular with many national acts and good crowds doing exactly what you are doing on a regular basis. The Ambassador Hotel across the street has been recently renovated in recent years and is a very nice hotel, often with great deals. some of the surrounding areas aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, but stick to common sense and you will do fine.

Wisconsin Ave is a main busy street and stick near it if you are concerned or unfamiliar. That area is just West of Marquette University, and is a mix of Marquette students, and locals of all kinds. While not the nicest area around, it has improved over the recent years.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,599 times
You'll be fine. Take common sense precautions like you would in any urban area.

As far as getting lost, I would advise against getting lost north of the neighborhood. Get lost going east and you're downtown. Get lost going west and you're in a place that's not too bad. Get lost going south and you're at the freeway. Get lost going north and you're in a very tough area.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 12,630 times
Thanks for the feedback.

One more question about directions:

Instead of heading north on 43 to Mckinley, most online map sites have me heading off west on 94 to the exit 309B Clybourn/25th street, then north to Wisconsin ave.

That seems easier than the other route, but when I click on the satellite feature, I see there being construction in the area and the ramp heading west onto 94 being closed. And then there being more construction where the Clybourn exit would be. Perhaps it's just an outdated image and the construction is finished?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 AM

448 posts, read 1,819,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5gt View Post
Instead of heading north on 43 to Mckinley, most online map sites have me heading off west on 94 to the exit 309B Clybourn/25th street, then north to Wisconsin ave.

That seems easier than the other route, but when I click on the satellite feature, I see there being construction in the area and the ramp heading west onto 94 being closed. And then there being more construction where the Clybourn exit would be. Perhaps it's just an outdated image and the construction is finished?
That interchange ramp is still closed until December of this year. From Chicago, you really have one choice and that is exiting at McKinley. For more info go the Mchange website and there you can even find a mapping tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee